PDA

View Full Version : Well......

alexgirl73
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
As I said in the daily thread, I went to the docs today to try and get some new pain meds and something to help me sleep. Got those ok, but the doc I saw, who was new to me gave me something to ponder on! She feels that it may not be arthritis I have, but something called fybromyalgia!!! Now I'd never heard of this before today so had a look on the web and it does seem to fit with me. Has anyone else ever heard of it or know anyone suffering from this? TBH it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in my treatment or long term outlook from what I could see, but it's interesting to know!

kado
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
My mum has it and a friend has as well. I dont realy know there treatment but its like all your body hurts. I think it goes straight to the nerve endings that's why you can hurt so much. Sorry i cant realy help

jane

Sweet
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Sorry I have never heard of it, when I catch up on the posts - been at work, I will try and google it and take a look x

dandysmom
10-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Ive heard of it but know nothing about it; I too will Google!

Fran
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I have heard of it but know very little about it Alex. Are there any tests that you can have done to confirm the diagnosis?

dandysmom
10-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Found this informative link from the Mayo Clinic .......... .......http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fibromyalgia/DS00079

alexgirl73
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
From what I understand Fran, there are no diagnostic tests that can be carried out, it is more a case of looking at a patients history of pain and other complaints, testing a few pressure points on the body for signs of pain or tenderness, and that is all they can do to say one way or another!

Thanks for the link Eileen, very informative! But some of the things I read there make me think it's not that either. It talks about the pain waning from time to time, mines is almost constant. Also a few other things dont ring true either. Tbh, all I know is that I suffer a lot of pain and no-one seems to really know whats causing it, but I just have to get on with my life as best I can!

dandysmom
10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
All I can say is: why do bad things happen to good people? (((hugs)))

alexgirl73
10-05-2007, 09:35 PM
thank you Eileen!! x

Jac
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Alex I have heard of it. The doc's said at one point Derek had it then it turned out to be something totally different.
Isn't it typical, you see a new Doc and leave in a state of confusion. That's whay I stick to one.

Jac
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Just remembered. My Mum was told that was what she has in her face. She thought it was something else:smt017

mable1718
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
i have never hered of it sorry

Animagus
12-05-2007, 12:09 PM
have heard the name before but not sure what it is.... Its a shame she didnt say it was something you could fix.. hope your new meds work xxx