PDA

View Full Version : Kittens, what to feed them when hand rearing

cc22peatree
08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
As most of you now know, we lost whisk today, the kittens are almost 3weeks and my vet said to ffed them baby powder?
what do you guys think

alexgirl73
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Clair, have a look at this site. I think it'll give you most of the info you need. ((hugs))

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Jac
08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Clair the site Alex has given you looks good.

Good luck and I'm so sorry your in this possition. (((((((())))))))))) hugs.

Fran
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
You said previously the kittens were lapping milk?? If that is the case get some Royal Canin Babymilk or Lactol in and get them to lap at that. If they are three weeks old and lapping milk then in another few days you can start to wean them. Good luck x

Kim
08-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Some years ago now by we used Cimicat and fed this out of a little bottle we bought from the vet. Please don't forget to wind them after each feed, and rub them to stimulate them to toilet.

sarahd
09-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I agree with Kim try Cimicat you can usually get it at your local vets and it is good.

Good luck and so sorry to hear about Whisk :(

Sarah
x

cc22peatree
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Although Im absolutely distraught by whats happened to my girl, Ive gone into auto pilot with the kittens, they are my main priority at the moment

They do seem to be interested in lapping from the bowl, but not enough to leave them to there own devices, so Im part feeding them, then giving them a go at drinking on there own, then feeding them the rest of the food

Weeing and pooing them seems to be easy enough and they give out a big burp when feed, so they seem to wind themselves

I do feel lucky, if thats what you can call it, that whisk didnt go to the bridge lastweek:(

Its my own fault, I shouldnt of let her out

dinahsmum
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't beat yourself up - you can't live on "if only I had , if only I hadn't ":?
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think the rubbing the nether regions with a just-damp wodge of cotton wool is one of the vital things, but hopefully it won't be too long till yours are teaching each other to use a litter tray.
(My experience is a hundred years old - well, over 40 I guess :? . We had a semi-feral (well, outdoor, shy and semi-detatched) mum killed on the road, leaving a very young singleton kitten, eyes not even opened. He survived living in the open warming drawer of the Rayburn, eating Farleys rusks soaked in cows milk! He grew to be the most gorgeous big, grey cat. and guess what? - he was killed on the road in his second year :( )

Mags
09-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Well done Clair, you are doing an excellent job caring for Whisky's little kittens....

Sweet
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Clair, please do not blame yourself.....you are doing a grand job x

kado
09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Your doing a realy grand job i dont think i could do it.

smudgley
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Although they can lap, they may not lap as much as they need each time they have a feed.
babies will often lap little bits at an early age, but not the amount they would if they just had to swallow / suckle. (swallowing is easier so they'll generally take in more & suckling is comforting) I would syringe / bottle feed them every few hours but leave the milk there also for them to lap. (try & get them to lap some before you feed them);) Otherwise they'll be full & won't want / need to lap & the idea is to encourage them to learn to lap as much a possible.

Hope that makes sense. :roll:

Animagus
09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Keep up the good work hunny... you are strong and will get through this and Whiskey will be looking over you and will be so proud at how well you have raised her babies... dont blame you weren't to know what would happen. xxxxx