PDA

View Full Version : Not looking forward to this....

Elaine
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Have the vets with "THE DIVA" today:roll: . There's nothing wrong with her its just time for her booster, health check and claw clipping.
The problem is getting her into the damned cat carrier:? She is quite a Divaish mood today aswell:roll:
Have a friend coming over with some prawns to try to tempt her into the cat carrier.
She is such a large cat to try to manhandle and it wouldnt be the first time I have managed to get her to the vets only to put her back in the carrier without being looked at, but that wqs with a different vet who was scared of all the noise and fuss she makes. Have booked her in with Heidi who I really like and trust. She doesnt listen to Eva's nonsense but is very kind and calm with her.
Anyway if any one has any tips on how to get the fat madam into a cat carrier then I'd like to hear them please;)

alexgirl73
08-05-2007, 11:51 AM
No tips Elaine, but best of luck lol! (hope you're well stocked up on plasters)

Mags
08-05-2007, 11:54 AM
If you have a front opening carrier Elaine, get someone to hold it with the opening tilted upwards, pick up the Diva and put her quickly into the carrier, back legs first. Have the door ready to close. That was the way I used to get Cassie in as she would never go in head first.

If you have a top opening carrier it should be a lot easier to just 'drop' her in and close the lid.

Good luck, I hope she will be cooperative with you!! :-D

Elaine
08-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanx Mags the carrier I have has both a front door and a top door because I have so many problems getting her in it:lol:
I am hoping the prawns will tempt her inside so I dont have to manhandle her too much but if that fails..................
Am thinking of wrapping her in a towel and popping her in through the top. She always manages to spread herself out, making her twice the size of the door I am trying to get her through:lol:

tilly
08-05-2007, 12:14 PM
to get my two in I get hold of their front and back legs and just sort of shove, as if you have both sets of legs they can't spread quite as much.

Sally

Sweet
08-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Best of Luck :lol: x

kado
08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Good luck is all i can say. Guinness goes in with a bit of a fuss but tries to get back into the carrier when it is tip upside down when wee try to get him out

Fran
08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Good luck Elaine!

Elaine
08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Ok well just as cats do, she made a fool of me by going into her carrier without any fuss:roll: :)
However, I am not so pleased with myself or the vet. Firstly the vet we saw was NOT the one I wanted, who is very good with her, she got her booster with a fair bit of noise, her teeth are in good nick. Then it was time for the claw clipping, now Eva makes alot of fuss and gets stressed easily which is why I had asked for Heidi. Eva made alot of noise, hissing, spitting and growling so they decided to muzzle her:shock: . My poor girl almost went through the roof:shock: . So in the end there was no claw clipping and they spoke of sedating her which I dont want because I know that Heidi can clip her claws without all that. My poor baby was clinging to me for dear life, bless her.
Now that part where I am not so happy with myself. Eva is a very large cat with big bones structure, she always weighed in at around the 6 kg mark but now she is up to 7.6 kg which is not good at all. So now I will have to get her weight back on track by reducing her food intake by around 30% each day and try to get her to play more.

alexgirl73
08-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Such a shame you didn't get the vet you wanted Elaine, are you going back another time to get her claws clipped? And oh dear, methinks Eva is NOT going to be a happy Diva being put on a (whisper it) diet!!!!

Elaine
08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
The vet said a 30% reduction of food intake. Is this too much of a reduction? I am aware that there are serious health risks if a cats food is reduced too quickly. I take the care of my cats and their health very seriously and am angry with myself for letting Eva's weight get out of control.
Am going to have a serious chat with vets and receptionists tomorrow when I take Bernie in for his claws to be clipped.
I specifically asked to see Heidi and gave my reasons why.
You should have seen the poor girl jump into my arms and cling to me for dear life. Eva needs a certain handling, confident and kind does it every time. Pander to her upset and she will play on it, ignore her upset and she will let the whole world hear just how upset she can be.

Sweet
08-05-2007, 04:42 PM
:( poor Eva, did they say why you didnt have Heidi ? x

Elaine
08-05-2007, 04:46 PM
No they didnt and to be honest, I didnt say much about it at the time because I was more concerned about how upset my girl was and realing that they wanted to sedate her to clip her claws. I am back there tomorrow with Bernie and will be asking questions.

alexgirl73
08-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure Elaine, but have a look at this site!

http://www.fabcats.org/overweight.html

Elaine
08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanx for the link Alex. I lost a cat once before to Hepatic Lipidosis, it was awful for the poor guy. Like Eva, he was very high strung which made it impossible to treat him. I dont want history to repeat itself.

Moli
08-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Poor Baby, sounds like she reacts just like Leo does! Luckily we have 2 vets and they all know he can be grumpy.....Think muzzling her would have made her worse....Give her a big cuddle from me....

mable1718
08-05-2007, 07:01 PM
best of luck

Elaine
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Poor Baby, sounds like she reacts just like Leo does! Luckily we have 2 vets and they all know he can be grumpy.....Think muzzling her would have made her worse....Give her a big cuddle from me....

Thanx Moli, the muzzle did make her much more stressed, thats when she litteraly lept into my arms and clung to me for dear life.
Consider her deservidly cuddled.