PDA

View Full Version : Did you know..........

Mags
07-05-2007, 01:56 PM
1 .Cats listen better better than you think.

2. Cats have been living side by side with humans for at least 4,000 years.

3. The cat does not have a true collarbone and can therefore squeeze its body through most spaces that its head fits through. Whiskers act as radar and help the cat gauge the space it is contemplating to walk through.

4. Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.

5. Never give your cat any medications unless under the directions of veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately. One extra strength acetominophen tablet (500mg) can kill a 7 pound cat.

6. Chocolate is toxic. As little as a 16 oz. bar can kill a cat. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

7. They need grass to aid their digestion and to help them get rid of any fur in their stomachs.

8. Catnip, a plant from the mint family, contains an oil called hepetalacetone, which acts on some cats like marijuana does on humans.

9. The length of a cat's pregnancy is from 58-65 days.

10. Kittens have 26 baby teeth; adult cats have 30.

11. When well treated, a cat can live twenty or more years.

12. A cat can not see directly under its nose. This is why it sometimes can not quickly find treats thrown on the floor.

13. Many common household items have been shown to be lethal in certain species, including felines. Miscellaneous items that are highly toxic even in low quantities include pennies (high concentration of zinc), mothballs (contain naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene - one or two balls can be life threatening in most species), potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, automatic dish detergents (contain cationic detergents which could cause corrosive lesions), batteries (contain acids or alkali which can also cause corrosive lesions), homemade play dough (contains high quantity of salt), winter heat source agents like hand or foot warmers (contain high levels of iron), cigarettes, coffee grounds, and alcoholic drinks.

14. Chemicals can be absorbed through a cat's paws. Floor waxes and cleaning solutions pose a particular danger.

15. Cats shed more in light - and not just sunlight. Not only do electric lights cause a cat to shed, but even a TV set glow can cause your cat's hair to fall out!

16. Plastic food dishes and water bowls may cause an allergy in some cats. Try glass, metal or ceramic.

17. Not all cats are affected by catnip. All kittens under the age of eight weeks actually try to avoid it. As they get older between 50-70% of cats grow to be affected. This affinity is genetic.

18. There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside. Apparently, it is the longer daylight hours and not the warmer temperatures that triggers moulting.

19. A frightened cat can run at speeds of up to 27 mph.

alexgirl73
07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
wow, some very interesting facts there Mags, thanks for posting!

Fran
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mags!! Some very interesting facts there!

Jac
07-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Yip I'll go with the guys. Didn't know some of that. Very interesting. Thanks Mags.

dandysmom
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm rather pleased that I knew all but 10, 12, 14 and 18! And some of them I learned right here on Catsey! Thanks for posting that, Mags!

Sweet
07-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank you for posting x

Elaine
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Some interesting points there, thanx for posting xxx

Moli
08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
very interesting...lots of them I did not know.....great post Mags...:D

mable1718
08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
very fantastic facts