PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to sex fish???

janey83
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Ive had 2 goldfish for 10 years in August and ive never known their sex, so thought its about time I found out lol. I always thought they were both boys but now I think ones a boy n ones a girl... but if they are how come no baby fish's:?.

So im confused now n just thought any one would know a good fish site or know anythin about it.

Thanx

They say hi by the way lol
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/janey_83/DSCN1818.jpg

Kazz
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Hiya Don't know much about Goldish but I think females are deeper in the body than the males but hard to tell I think have a look at this site http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/info/sexing-fs.htm

I know tropical fish which I keep need the right water conditions to breed maybe goldfish are the same. ALthough if you've had the 10 years you are keeping them well their water conditions must suit them - if you try changing the water too much the results may not be favourable fish are sometimes tough to keep. Best of luck. Karen
Karen

Mags
07-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I've no idea Jane, I don't keep fish but I would be interested to know the answer when you find out please!;):D

Fran
07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Lovely fish Jane! Sorry I can't help with sexing them but Moli, might know?

Jac
07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Sexing goldfish is quite difficult by just looking at a photo.

Have a good look at the tail end. Do you see a opening, do you see a little tube at any time?
I'm better with tropical marine or fresh water (tropical) but Darryle will be here tonight and given the fact he has worked in a fish shop for 3 years I'm sure he will be able to help.
Be on about 7ish.

janey83
07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh right cool, ive tried to take pics of their bits close up but they wont keep still lol!

Jac
07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
hey its darryle here am at mums

with gold fish the only real way to sex thm is by waiting until may/june lol males get what apears to b white spot on the gils, this is infact there spurs they use for fighting and mating they use thm to drive the female lol

that is the only way u can tell by looking im afraid lol

Sweet
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Pass lol....nice pic though x

janey83
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
hey its darryle here am at mums

with gold fish the only real way to sex thm is by waiting until may/june lol males get what apears to b white spot on the gils, this is infact there spurs they use for fighting and mating they use thm to drive the female lol

that is the only way u can tell by looking im afraid lol

Ive always wondered when ''that'' time was. So ill just have to wait abit n see what they get up to!!!:shock:

Thank you.:D

Jac
07-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Tell you what helps. Putting them in direct sun light but the down side is it could cause algi.
Oh that was me not Darryle:D

janey83
07-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Lol, yeah I use to have them near my window but when the sun came round I was never there to shut the blinds n the tank would get full of algae.

If you know or Darryle. I'm thinking of getting a new bigger tank? Will they like it? They have lived in this one now (which isn't tiny but they could do with more swimming room) for 10 years and I don't want to kill them but causing stress or anything!

Moli
07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
They will probably love a bigger tank Janey, as long as you put water from the old tank into the new one...