PDA

View Full Version : Magpie and cat!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Hello All.
I've popped over form Dogsey to tell you about a 'happening' in my neighbours garden yesterday.
I was out hanging out washing (as you do :roll: ) when I heard some scrabbling coming from the roof of my next door neighbours 'summer house' (aka glorified shed!) I looked up and there was their beautiful tortoiseshell cat, in it's ususal position, sunning itself. Just to the side of it was a huge magpie! The magpie is nesting nearby and was obviously owrried and believe it or not it kept coming up to this cat and pecking it's rear legs!!! :shock:
The cat cottoned onto it and the magpie changed position. This carried on for a good five minutes until the cat finally got fed up of the magpie and moved away!!!! I couldn't believe it, I felt sorry for the poor cat, bullied out of it's favourite spec by a magpie!!!!
Anyway, I was amazed and wanted to 'share' my story!!! Hope you don't mind!:lol:

alexgirl73
04-05-2007, 09:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Never heard of that happening before. That is one chilled cat (or one stupid magpie:-D )

Moli
04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant! although I am surprised the Magpie got the better of the cat!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I was shocked!!! It was very hot and sunny and the cat did have a good sun soaking up spec...but to be bullied out of it by a magpie!!!!!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
So was I Moli!!!!
Surprised enough to venture over here and tell all of you about it!

borderdawn
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Ailsa.
Yes Magpies are very protective, I remember once my cat caught a young Magpie, and although I got it off him and it was ok, its parents gave him hell for days afterwards, then the youngster did too! they would chase and peck him, very brave and very smart Birds.
Dawn.

Moli
04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
So was I Moli!!!!
Surprised enough to venture over here and tell all of you about it!
I am a dogsey member also, but prefer it over here, much smaller, we talk about everything and anything! hope you will stay around and join in...

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi Ailsa.
Yes Magpies are very protective, I remember once my cat caught a young Magpie, and although I got it off him and it was ok, its parents gave him hell for days afterwards, then the youngster did too! they would chase and peck him, very brave and very smart Birds.
Dawn.

Hello Dawn!!!!! :shock: :)
Nice to see you! :-D

I'm guessing the magpies mate was sitting on the nest as there was no sign of it. It was te cheek of this magpie...he was getting right next to the poor cat and having a real go!!! :shock:

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I am a dogsey member also, but prefer it over here, much smaller, we talk about everything and anything! hope you will stay around and join in...

Awww that's kind Moli..I feel like an imposter because I haven't got a cat though!!! :oops:
Perhaps I could borrow my neighbours!!! :cool:

Animagus
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
lol cool story I had heard magpies could be vicious lol

dandysmom
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
That is an amazing story! But a magpie is a fairly good-sized bird, and maybe the cat had already had lunch ..:-D...and wasn't up to the hassle of tackling it! Here in the States, mockingbirds are fiercely territorial at nesting time; my neighbor had a pair nesting in her tree and they attacked her poor cat unmercifully every time he came out!! Poor Frisky got so he'd slink quietly out the back door to avoid being pecked!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks Animagus, so had i...but this had to be seen to be believed!!! The poor cat!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
That is an amazing story! But a magpie is a fairly good-sized bird, and maybe the cat had already had lunch ..:-D...and wasn't up to the hassle of tackling it! Here in the States, mockingbirds are fiercely territorial at nesting time; my neighbor had a pair nesting in her tree and they attacked her poor cat unmercifully every time he came out!! Poor Frisky got so he'd slink quietly out the back door to avoid being pecked!

Awwww bless him! :cry:
Have to admit this is a BIG magpie!

Mags
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I saw the same thing happen to my neighbours cat a few years ago Ramble! She was on their garden shed too and a magpie flew out of the overhanging tree and started attacking it. They are vicious things when they are protecting their nests:?

Donna
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Thats a great story! Thanks for popping over to tell us... would of been great to see!

dandysmom
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Awwww bless him! :cry:
Have to admit this is a BIG magpie!
And probably tough and chewy also!! :-D Smart cat!

janey83
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Lol poor cat, magpies are nasty. I saw one a few days ago chasing a little bird in the air! my dad said it was after it! (I was shocked!)

Tigger use to lie on the grass while this one black bird (that I saw today :-(. ) use to stand next to Tigger tweeting/shouting away coz my cat was relaxing on the grass!
I think they understood eachother though, coz if that was another bird Tigger would of had its guts for garters!!!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Mags it was nasty...and was not about to give up, I'm sure it would have gone for the cats eyes given half a chance. Don't worry I would have stepped in at that point and startled it away!

Thanks Donna! You are a very friendly bunch!

LOL at dandysmum!!!! Yep looks like it would be!!!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Awww this magpie is always having scuffles with the blackbirds! This magpie is just always having scuffles thinking about it.
Why are you sad when you mention the magpie?

Fran
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Magpies are notorious bullies :? Thank you for sharing your story! Stay around, you'll have lots of fun and there's no law says you have to own a cat to be here ;)

Mags
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Ramble, we have a section for other pets here, why don't you tell us about your dog/s and post some pics for us? Just because we are a cat forum it doesn't mean we don't like to see and hear about dogs;):D

Ramble
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Awww Mags thats really kind of you! You really are a freindly bunch...I had heard that you were!!!
I will post soon I promise!!!

dandysmom
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Ramble, I like to refer to this as the friendly Forum, because I've found it to be so! Do visit us from time to time, if not oftener!

sarahd
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
A kitten that we rehomed a couple of years ago from our moggie went to live with a friend of mine from work.
She used to tell me that she went out on to the top of the shed and then two magpies used to come and land on the shed with her. They would squawk at her and she would miaow frantically back at them. Apparently this would go on for an hour or so.
If the cat wasn't in the garden the magpies would come and squawk for her until she went out.
Still dont know to this day if my friend was having me on or not but she sounded convincing lol

Sarah
x

Ramble
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks Dandysmum I shall!!!!

Ramble
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
hi Sarah,
I wouldn't have believed that was possible before yesterday!!!! Now I do!!!

dinahsmum
05-05-2007, 07:52 AM
I remember a good few years ago I was looking out of the kitchen window down our (then) long, tree lined garden.
Roger, my gorgeous black cat, had just been hunting, and I could see he had caught something in the hedge. He was settling down with his prize (it was a mouse) when a magpie flew down from the trees and, despite Roger putting up a good defence, eventually nabbed the mouse and flew off with it :shock:
Clever things, Magpies, but pretty nasty, in my view.

Ramble
05-05-2007, 07:55 AM
MMM I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of this one!!!! Be like something out of 'The Birds'....