PDA

View Full Version : Can you have ......

Erin
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Can you still get tonsillitis even if you have had your tonsils removed ?,i know this sounds like a stupid question but my dad seems to think you can.
I always used to get tonsillitis and eventually last jan after years of infections and antibiotics they finally removed them,ive had a real bad throat all day and feel just like i used to when i used to get tonsillitis,dad seems to think that i may have the infection back were the tonsils used to be :?
this question is making me sound really dumb isnt it :oops:

Sweet
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Not a dumb question at all Erin, I know the feeling....I suffer it lots but unless I get it 3 times in a short space of time they wont take them out here :(

Why dont you ring National Health Direct?

((((((hugs)))))) x

Erin
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Not a dumb question at all Erin, I know the feeling....I suffer it lots but unless I get it 3 times in a short space of time they wont take them out here :(

Why dont you ring National Health Direct?

((((((hugs)))))) x

ive just been on their web site sweet and it seems you still can get the infection,i used to have about 4 infections a year lasting around 2 weeks at a time it was horrible.
they were reluctant to remove them when i was younger as they said i would grow out of it but i never did,it was only when i was missing so much time off work they decided that perhaps they should be removed,obviously it didnt matter about the time i missed off school or the pain i was in :roll:.
oh well one infection in the last months isnt bad i suppose,i just hope this isnt the start to many more.

kado
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes you can i think. I had mine taken out when i was 5 after i got poisoned tonsils realy horrible. My daughter had them take out on her 6th birthday.

Fran
02-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, you can still get infection in the throat where the tonsils used to be :?

Erin
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes, you can still get infection in the throat where the tonsils used to be :?

oh well,obviously it has done some good having them removed,first infection ive had since i had them taken out,thats even if it is tonsillitis,ill make an appointment at the dr's tomorrow and see what they say.

smudgley
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
The one thing that my children both suffer with is tonsillitis..loads! :evil:

The doctors won't whip them out like they used to unless they feel it's absolutely neccesary. When I asked if they could have them out due to the endless antibiotics they keep having, one doctor told me that they will still get throat infections so what's the point. I figured she had a valid point & didn't persue it.. :?

She did ask if they eat a healthy diet.. :oops: when I told her they don't , she said that's why! Get some fruit & veg & vitamins into them, she said... we encouraged the girls to eat fruit & come to think, they've been pretty good ever since.

touch wood they haven't had it for a while, but if ever they are ill..it's always their bloomin' tonsills & throat infections.

Erin
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Its a right pain isnt it if they keep getting it i wuld keep askin for them to be taken out,yes they may still infections bt not as sever or as often,an the last thing they want is to have them taken out as adults cus omg the pain!kids recover quicker!

dinahsmum
03-05-2007, 09:23 AM
You might want to think about taking an Echinacea supplement to help build resistance to infections (and eat well!). I think the liquid 'tincture' is better than tablets

Animagus
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Yep you do still get tonsilitis...aaaaannnnd they can even grow back in some extreme occasions so I have heard lol.... I appear to still have half of one of mine guess they didnt get it all out when I was bout 6 .......maybe thats why I ended back in hiospital with hemmoraghing lol

Erin
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I will certainly try some of that dm thanks :-)not so sure about the healthy eating though,the only veg i can eat is peas anything else makes me physically sick!i suppose i could eat more fruit though,no excuses there

TIGS
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
i didnt know you can still get it. i had my tonsils out when i was 5. havent had any throat infections at all since.that was many many years ago.:shock:

Mags
04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I hope you're feeling a bit better this morning Erin......

dandysmom
04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I had mine out when I was six (the time I bit the anestheologist!) and have never had tonsillitis since. I understand it's a more serious operation in adults...????

Erin
05-05-2007, 06:40 PM
It is more of a serious op on adults Eileen.its so painful,my throat got infected after the op,which made the healing process so much longer.i would seriously advise any adult thats having them removed not to!