PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting a Siamese

cc22peatree
26-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Hiya everyone, I'd like some advice/tips on Siamese cats:D

Ive always liked them, ever since I was a kid and watched lady and the tramp:lol:

They are just so lovely, I cant pin point why, so I'm being sensable and doing my research in advance:D

I'd love a blue tabby siamese, but I'm also quite found of the blue and lilac points

Anything Siamese related Id like to hear it:D

Oh, before I forget, does anyone no about the registery of cats, Ive seen alot of cats on the 'unactive' register, if someone can explain this I'd be most greatful:)

Fran
26-04-2007, 07:49 PM
How have you managed to talk your other half round?? Are you still keeping one of Whiskey's babies?

Well, all I can say to you is do your research with regards to Meezers. They are not like moggies. They are very interactive and demanding of attention, extremely nosey and can be vocal, they need a lot of attention and stimulation as they can soon become bored and destructive. I love them but they are not for everyone.

I have a blue point Siamese and a chocolate tortie point as well as two Orientals which are solid coloured Siamese :-)

When a cat is sold on the 'active' register, babies from this cat will be eligible for registration with the GCCF (equivalent of the Kennel Club in the dog world). If you buy a cat on the 'inactive' register then you cannot register any progeny of that cat with the GCCF. Most breeders do not sell kittens on active register except to other breeders

cc22peatree
26-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi Fran,
this is going to be in the next 2 years, not anytime soon:D

Paul is happy, the dogs are mine, I do there care, same with whisky, paul has choosen the kitten he wants to keep:roll:

Hes happy with everything I do, I have my ways:lol:

LucySiamese
26-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I have a siamese girl shes nearlly 7 months now, and shes so loving and affectionate, she's also very active and loves to climb too she gets up on my cd's and dvd shelf and doesnt care what she knocks off, whenever ever she wants something i dont get any peace until i get it for her, they are definately vocal!! but it does'nt bother me at all.

cc22peatree
26-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I also love the Sphinx, but they dont seem to be available in this country:)

Kazz
26-04-2007, 09:47 PM
I like Siamese but I have to say I prefer the old style or traditional ones. But I do like Siamese not sure they are for everyone though.

Karen

random
26-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I have Kiara a year old blue point girly. I'd wanted a siamese every since I was 8 years old as my auntie had them and bred one of her girls, Sophie. I was in love from a very young age but my parents were not prepared to pay for a meezer and let me get a moggie instead. :lol:

I did a lot of research as a child, I had every book going on cats and meezers out of the library, obviously I had a bit of a brush up before I took the plunge as an adult! :lol:

Kiara is a lovely sweet natured girl. She is however very fussy, clingy, demanding and somewhat vocal, but no more than the other cats, then again I do have a very vocal bunch here. Just luck of the draw I guess, but she is not the 'gobbiest' nor the quietest, although the sounds she does come out with are one of a kind! :lol:

Siamese appeal to me as they are somewhat 'dog like' in their personality as a pose to moggies. I will try and explain what I mean.

My other cats are all mogs and are very independant, although Kiara is independant of course, as she is a feline at the end of the day, but she also thrives on human company to a point where she does get upset if you ignore her. All of my cats love you to stroke and pet them on their terms, but I have yet to witness a time that Kiara has refused a cuddle and a fuss. She is VERY attention seeking.

As soon as you sit down she wants to be on your lap and fussed. She wants to be where you are all of the time like a dog would. She wants to know what is going on and where when and how.

They are very sensitive to their surroundings too, this is another thing. It took her some time to settle in as a kitten compared to the mogs. And again when we moved home.

random
26-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh forgot to add she is the smallest of the bunch, although second oldest. Looks wise I too like the more traditional Siamese and I liked the look of the cats Kiara's breeder had bred. Very good show lines in her ancestry, but I don't think Kiara herself is too over done as some are today, especially in the show world. Although she is dissimilar to the shape/look my auntie bred in the late 80's.

dinahsmum
27-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Can only agree with other people.
Siamese are wonderful but not terribly 'cat-like'. They are nothing like as independent as other breeds or moggies, very demanding, very noisy. They are huge characters

charliebubs
27-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a Siamese rescue who is about 2/3 years old. She is a chocolate point.

Personally I love them - but they are not for everyone!! :)

She is very demanding, vocal and highly strung. She always has to be into everything and follows me everywhere (even to the loo :roll:). She annoys the other cats sometimes as she is so in-their-face and she has to be the centre of attention.

I love her to bits though and the other cats have got used to her ways. She is also one of the most affectionate cats I have ever known. She loves cuddles and has to sleep right next to me when I go to bed.

I swear she thinks she's human sometimes too with her little habits!!! ;)

Also, as I think is the way for some Siamese, she is very sensitive. She has quite a sensitive tummy and very sensitive skin, suffers from FAD and recently had a worrying ear problem, which turned out to be just down to wax, but shows that she must have sensitive ears too :shock:

I wouldn't have her any other way though and in fact would get another Meezer/Oriental in the future. :)

Fran
27-04-2007, 02:32 PM
In my experience, the Orientals are even harder work than the Siamese despite being the same breed!!!

Bliss can be an absolute nightmare :roll: a very highly strung Oriental and tortie to boot! (What a combination) but I wouldn't have her any other way ;)

Mildred who is also Oriental is worse than the dogs for begging for food, she just jumps on your plate and pinches what she fancies :shock: and if she wants attention, she doesn't just ask for it, she simply climbs up your person until she is perched on your shoulder like a parrot :roll:

charliebubs
27-04-2007, 02:35 PM
if she wants attention, she doesn't just ask for it, she simply climbs up your person until she is perched on your shoulder like a parrot :roll:

Can't wait for my visit next weekend now!!!!! :shock: :roll: :shock:

LOL :-D

You'd better just make sure you do a head count before I leave, Fran!!! Hee hee hee :lol:

dinahsmum
27-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Mini used to love barbecues - she'd sit on the table (cos that's what she wanted to do :roll: ) eye up the food, and if you weren't quick enough getting it from plate to your mouth she'd swipe it off your fork at the speed of light. She'd wail piteously if she felt lonely and couldn't find you, and had a wonderfully endearing little noise under her breath - sort of gentle oof, oof, which was just her happy noise. She slept under the duvet, unless it was extremely hot, and would bat my cheek with her paw to get the duvet lifted to allow her in. Then she'd lie, curled into me, with her head on the pillow!
Real, real characters, but not one to be taken on lightly

Fran
27-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Can't wait for my visit next weekend now!!!!! :shock: :roll: :shock:

LOL :-D

You'd better just make sure you do a head count before I leave, Fran!!! Hee hee hee :lol:

I shall have a word with them all and tell them all that they must be on their best behaviours :roll: :-D

Het
27-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I would agree that they are not the easiest of cats, recently brought home to me by realising how 'easy' Boo has been (Maine Coon). I have four Siamese, one of them is the old fashioned Applehead type and she is much easier than the other three, although they are not the modern, more exagerated type. They are very possesive of their owners, demand lots of attention and can get quite stressed if something upsets them, resulting in stress grooming, marking and fabric eating among other things.

Then again...they are loving, intelligent, inventive, determined.......they are a challenge!!!!! And so beautiful:D ....and noisy!! mine love to tell these big long stories and seem highly annoyed if you don't pretend to know what they are 'talking' about. Definitely adds to the 'mad cat lady' stories if that takes place outside:roll:

dandysmom
27-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I've only had one Siamese, an old fashioned Applehead. He was extremely vocal, high-strung, into everything, very affectionate and almost frighteningly smart! A real personality; I loved him so much I couldn't have another Siamese after he died; I would have always been comparing him to Su-Ling. Got an Aby, another extremely smart breed, and also a character!

Luke
27-04-2007, 06:27 PM
A very lovely breed, but as has been said not for everyone. My g-gran, until this year, had siamese for the best part of about nearing seventy years! I can always remember them through most of my life..always very doglike.
We had one for a brief period..dear little Sam [antha], sweet little girl..pined away when we lost her 'best buddy', the big tortie, but an allround sweet little girl. I really have a soft spot for siamese-and if i could find an applehead seal point male, i'd be in heaven:)
Good luck, whatever you decide!:D

CrazyCatLady
27-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a half Siamese, Heidi. She is very affectionate. I have learned that they are very independent and can be tempermental. For instance, if I do not scoop the litter box as often as Miss Heidi thinks I should, lol, she will pee somewhere outside the box. She is also very camera-shy. I usually have to sneak a pic of her. But overall, I love my cat. One of Heidi's favorite things to do is lay on my lap when I have a blanket over me, and "groom" my fingers and hand! Some say it's weird, but I think it's soothing.
Here is a funny pic of my girl!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/demavore/HeidiLick2.jpg

Mags
27-04-2007, 08:53 PM
That's a great pic of Heidi, she looks so cute!!:lol: