PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Cat Myths

Elaine
25-04-2007, 08:50 PM
1. Giving cats a saucer of milk is good for them. Cow's milk is deficient in protein and energy content and does not adequately replace the mother's milk for un-weaned kittens. Nor is it suitable for many adult cats as about 10% of cats in the UK have a "lactose intolerance". This means the cat cannot absorb the lactose (i.e. the sugar in cow's milk) and eventually it will accumulate in the cat's system through osmosis and fermentation, causing diarrhoea.

2. It is unfair not to allow a female cat to have a litter of kittens. As a cat has no anticipation of motherhood, there is no benefit to the cat from having a litter of kittens. A cat only recognises a kitten when it squeals at her for the first time after she gives birth. The first experience provides the memory therefore it would seem kinder to spay before the first pregnancy.

3. Neutering a male cat is a cruel act and takes away their masculinity. Neutering, far from being cruel is, in fact, quite the opposite. A neutered male cat is less likely to suffer from Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and Feline Leukaemia Virus (FeLV) as they are less likely to wander, protect their territory or get into fights with other cats. They are therefore less likely to get bitten and become infected with these diseases.
An un-castrated male marks his territory by spraying his strong smelling urine. He will do this inside the house as well as around the garden. Neutering can reduce this problem. Most cats killed on the roads are un-castrated toms. The operation to neuter a male cat is a quick and simple operation, which will therefore help your cat in many ways.

4. Rubbing butter on cats' paws helps them find their way home if they are lost. Greasy furniture is the only likely result of rubbing butter on a cat's paws as butter does not help a cat find its way home. A far more effective way of reuniting a lost cat with its owner is to have it microchipped: a painless procedure which provides a safe and permanent method of identification. Each chip carries a unique identification number linked to a database containing details of the pet as well as the name and address of the owner. A simple phone call can establish the owners' details, thereby enabling missing cats to be quickly reunited with their owners.

5. A cat that has just given birth cannot become instantly pregnant again. As a rule, most queens will not begin cycling until a few weeks after the kittens are weaned. However, as with all rules there are exceptions. It has been known for lactating queens to become pregnant, sometimes almost immediately after kittening.

6. When a cat is on heat, she bleeds. Bleeding does not occur when a cat is on heat. Unlike most animals, cats do not spontaneously release eggs from the ovary. It is the mating act itself that stimulates the development of the eggs in the ovary, normally resulting in their release 24-36 hours later with fertilisation generally occurring in the fallopian tubes.

7. When you have a baby you should rehome your cat because of toxoplasmosis. Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic infection which can infect people in two ways. One is by ingesting toxo that has been shed in the faeces of a cat ie through contact with soil or litter where cats have defecated. This is a very uncommon occurrence. The more common method of acquiring toxo is by eating meat or prey which contains toxo.
A recent article in the BMJ about toxoplasma infection in pregnant women, stated that pregnant women are at low risk of contracting toxoplasmosis from cats. The study concluded that inadequately cooked or cured meat was the main risk factor for infection from toxoplasmosis, and that women eating undercooked lamb, beef or game, having contact with soil, or travelling outside Europe, the US and Canada, were most at risk.

8. Cats always land on their feet. Wrong - they quite often land on their chins. One of the most common injuries in cats is a mandibular fracture. In hot weather, cats can fall asleep on window sills next to open windows, fall out of the window and cause themselves pelvic injuries.

9. When cats are castrated, they become fat and lazy and don't catch mice. Castrated cats do not become lazier. They become more contented and stick closer to home, as they no longer have the urge to roam. For this reason, they may appear to be lazier than previously.

10. Rubbing a cat's nose in their toilet means they won't do it again in the same place. A cat should never be reprimanded for toileting in the wrong place as this could make the problem worse given that toileting problems can be stress related. Offering the cat a reward every time it goes to the toilet in the correct area should help to confirm that it is doing the right thing.

alexgirl73
25-04-2007, 08:53 PM
If only more people realised those things!!

Fran
25-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Some good points there Elaine ;)

Mags
25-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Very good Elaine, a lot of info there ;)

Moli
25-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Great post Elaine, amazing how many people still believe all that!

dandysmom
25-04-2007, 09:03 PM
It's unfortunate that the people who need to read this aren't the sort of people who would normally be on a cat forum....:cry: All so true.....

Elaine
25-04-2007, 09:07 PM
It's unfortunate that the people who need to read this aren't the sort of people who would normally be on a cat forum....:cry: All so true.....

Thats true but sometimes, just sometimes there are some that have a look, and maybe they will find this forum in particular and find of great benefit and value to what ever difficulties they are experiencing with their feline companions.

dandysmom
25-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Good point..... even if it helps one person it's worthwhile! :D

smudgley
25-04-2007, 09:34 PM
interesting, although I do think there may be a tiny bit of truth in one of those myths... anyone guess which one?

dandysmom
25-04-2007, 09:39 PM
No, I can't Smudgley... please tell!!! Would it be about the milk? Patches loved it and drank a saucer a day until the day she died at 20....

Elaine
25-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I am guessing you are going to say something about the butter on the paws Smudgley;)

Mags
25-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Could it be No. 5 Smudgley?

Fran
25-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Well I know for definite that cats on heat can have tiny drops of blood although not all queens do

dandysmom
25-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Awww, c'mon Smudgley!!! What is it????

Elaine
25-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Come on Smudgley, tell us, dont keep us in suspenders, I need to get to bed, need all the beauty sleep I can get.:lol:
If I'm ugly tomorrow it'll be your fault:-D

smudgley
26-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I am guessing you are going to say something about the butter on the paws Smudgley;)

:cool: I *think* there may be an element of truth in this.
When we moved house, we knew about this myth & thought "what have we got to loose" so when Mitten kept going back to our old house, we would keep her in for a while & then butter her paws. Only did it a few times (ie no consistency:roll: ) but I have a feeling it may have helped. As some of you remember we had real problems with her going back to our old house. The only reason we could think that the butter helping was that maybe it leaves an engrained scent which may help the cat find it's way back.

Unfortunately Mitten was killed crossing the busy road one day going back to the old house.:cry:

mable1718
26-04-2007, 07:53 AM
a lot of good information

Animagus
26-04-2007, 11:18 AM
a lot of good interesting information..... great read

sammy
26-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Well I know for definite that cats on heat can have tiny drops of blood although not all queens do

Yep, I've experienced this with a cat as well.

Hreow
26-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Don't think the "always land on their feet" is a complete myth. They do land on their feet if the distance they fall is great enough for them to right themselves. The injury is a follow on because although the paws land first, they can't stop the kinetic force of the head then falling further with chin-injury as a result.
Also, landing on your paws after falling twenty floors does not mean that you survive the experience, it just gives you a little more shock absorbtion from the joints (and back in the case of a cat).

Butter on the paws I guess would help. Wouldn't you stay longer at a place where they serve chocolate (or equivalent) on a regular basis? :grin:

dandysmom
26-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Speaking of butter, do any of your cats adore it? Patches was a good cat, but the one naughty thing she would do was jump onto the table when I wasn't looking and lick the butter!!

andrew021
26-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Ooops, will have to stop spreading butter on Jet's paws, lol.

Jet is another one for sneaking onto the table and licking the butter of my bread or sometimes mayonaise.