PDA

View Full Version : In at Night?

wanda
24-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Smokey is always kept in at night, and I've got him used to coming in about 10.30 pm (because he knows he gets treats then!). I do this because I worry about him being run over (even though it is very quiet traffic wise round here), and also because he catches rats, mice, birds, fish, frogs, toads etc. and brings them in, and I feel I'm giving the wild life a chance if he's not out and about at night or first thing in the early morning. However, a lot of my friends say I'm being over-fussy, and he should be able to come and go as he wants at night - he does have a cat flap.

I don't think I would change my mind, but just wonder what you out there think?:?

Moli
24-04-2007, 08:07 PM
My cats are more indoor than outdoor cats, apart from Chancer who was a stray, and used to doing what he wanted..But since he move in, he comes in everynight, I just would not sleep if he was out all night.

kado
24-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I just got kado in. They stay in at night as i too dont want any present brought to me. If kado escapes i wait up till i can get him in

EmmaG
24-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I will always keep my cats in at night, I heard once that more cats are killed by cars at night than during the day, I couldn't sleep knowing mine were outside.

Mags
24-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Cassie comes and goes as she pleases during the daytime but she is always in and the cat flap locked at night. I'll stay up until she is in...:roll::D

wanda
24-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for that. I'm so glad I'm not being "over protective". Although Smokey is pretty good about coming in (treats!), I must admit it was 12.30 am the other night when he came in, and I was sat up reading until he appeared! No point going to bed because I just lie there, listening to cars going past, expecting to hear brakes slamming on any minute. On top of that, I'm like you Kado, I hate finding "presents"!!!!

smudgley
24-04-2007, 09:42 PM
My younster is always in at night.
My other 2 can do whatever they like, one is always in... the other does what she fancies, but often sleeps out. :)

dinahsmum
25-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I have had 'free-ranging' cats in the past but I keep my current boys in at night. Life is not easy for cats outside with busy roads etc, so I think it's better that they play by day and sleep at night.

Rosie
25-04-2007, 09:31 AM
My two have access to the outdoors day and night. I understand the dangers but I don't think it is worse at night. In summer if I get up in the middle of the night I often see Rosie asleep on the bench outside and they do love to hunt - it is all part of what they are. I don't think my Rosie's little presents seriously affect the wildlife and it is her way of contributing, bless.

To me cats are free spirits and we only give them a safe place to hang out. Dogs are a completely different kettle of fish. I believe my cats could cope on their own, if heaven forbid they had to, but my Holly dog definitely couldn't.

I love my cats but view their needs differently.

dinahsmum
25-04-2007, 09:39 AM
I think your view is totally valid Rosie - and probably 'correct' in the wider view. I keep mine in so that I don't risk the horror of losing them. Quite selfish.
However, they've never known the joy of balmy summer nights hunting and playing, so at least they're not missing it in that sense - missing out in a general way though.
(Never let your Rosie and Alfie speak to my Bentley & Chester!:) )

kado
25-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Another reason i keep my cats in are we dont have a cat flap. My cats usualy sleep during the day and start playing at midnight. I usualy have a disagrement with Kado as he whines at the front door to go out.

Animagus
26-04-2007, 01:00 PM
My family have had cats for as long as i can remember and we have always gotten them in at night beforee bed.