PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips For A Mom To Be

Jess751
23-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I rescued a female Snowshoe X and she wasnt fixed. I was told that she was just coming out of heat so I had some time before she went back in to get her fixed. But something was confused on their end as she was just going into heat. Needless to say she is now pregnant. I have a young male Main Coon X that is not fixed. (I dont like to fix my animals early in their life. Just a personal thing.) So she is about a month into the pregnancy. I am taking her to the vet after the first just to see how everything is going. But anyone have any tips?

Mags
23-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Jess, I have no experience myself of pregnant cats but several of our members here do:D
I'm sure someone here will be along soon to answer any of your questions.....

Jess751
23-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks Mags. :p

Animagus
23-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Hope you get the advice you need we have some experts on mums to be on catsey

Sweet
23-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I cannot offer any advice, hopefully someone can on here for you :) x

whiskey
23-04-2007, 08:30 PM
sorry im no help either but i wish you and your cat all the best:D

Jess751
24-04-2007, 02:49 AM
Anyone any help?? :cat12 Thanks though everyone!

Fran
24-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Jess, I'm sorry you have found yourself in this position :( Please feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you, you can also pm me if you wish :) One thing I would advise is getting your young male neutered asap as queens can come back into call quite soon after giving birth to their kittens. Good luck at the vets, let us know what he says...

Jess751
24-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah I plan on getting them both fixed ASAP. Sandy is requesting food like mad. I feed her quite a bit during the day. How much should her food intake increase? I dont want her to get the idea that everytime she wants the food I will get it for her but I also want to make sure that she is getting enough for the kittens. I say her food intake has probably come close to doubling at least.

Fran
24-04-2007, 01:10 PM
If she is only a month gone then I would say it's a little early to be increasing food. At around the 6 weeks mark I would up her food intake and gradually change her over to kitten food which is much better for her during the later stages of pregnancy and whilst lactating...

charliebubs
24-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Jess,

I have 5 week old kittens at the moment, so feel free to ask anything that you like!!!

I have to say though that it's hard work!!!! :shock:

I would agree with what Fran says about the food and also about getting them neutered ASAP. My girl came into call (heat) again when her kittens were only 4 weeks old. :roll:

Jess751
24-04-2007, 10:04 PM
O WOW! Yeah I definately will. Ok so why is she wanting more food all of a sudden?? Or is it that she has trained me? LOL. Her belly has gotten a bit firm in the past week or so. And also the other question I have is, is it normal for her to be a bit more skittish being that she is pregant?? She used to let me just walk up to her and pet her or pick her up and now she runs if I try. :cat9 She also batted my male in the face yesterday. He was trying to play and she will using give in but yesterday she wasnt into it. He was so confused. He looked up at me like huh? why did she do that. LOL

Fran
24-04-2007, 10:11 PM
She will start to feel a little more hungry but don't over do the food at this stage if you are sure she is only 1 month gone as an overweight cat is not a good thing in pregnancy, if nothing else it can cause more problems during labour.

It's normal for their hormones to be all over the place during pregnancy, so yes you may see some behavioral changes....the joys eh? :roll: :-D

Jess751
24-04-2007, 10:40 PM
LOL! Yeah. I dont have kids yet...:p

charliebubs
25-04-2007, 02:04 PM
My Lily got really protective of herself when she was pregnant and started growling at the other cats, which she didn't do before. She still does it a bit now if someone startles her when she's with the kittens.

As Fran says, their hormones are all over the place. :roll:

sarahd
25-04-2007, 09:03 PM
another helpful tip is try and get the cat used to her kittening box / pen a couple of weeks before she is due to give birth. Only put her in it at night or when you go out then that way if she delivers unexpectedly whilst you arent there there should be no mishaps and no hunting for kittens.
That is one thing i have learned and will be doing without a doubt this time

Sarah
x