PDA

View Full Version : Blue Badge (disabled bays)

Jac
23-04-2007, 10:06 AM
I have always had a thing about Disabled Bays. Even when I didn't need use them myself. It always made me angry when I saw people go into them that didnt have a Badge. Thinking at the back of my mind, some poor person may need that and cant get it now kind of thing.

I was wondering how many people here have problems. I have been stared at, questioned and even asked to prove that my Badge is mine:evil: .
The other day my Mum asked me why a man was staring at us. I was in a Disabled bay. I'm used to it now, I said he thinks I shouldn't be here (that was before I got out the car). She held up my Badge and mouthed all right. He smiled and said yes!
Another time a security guy asked me to show him the picture on the back. When he saw it was infact me he said OH sorry, you look to young to need it!!! Dah!
But lastly my favourite was one time I went to the local Chemist and there are three disabled bays, all full of council work vans. I got out my car, knocked on the window of one van and asked if they were disabled. They said Ch***t no so I asked them to move there van as I am! Hehe they did too.
I'm sure others have moans or laughs about the Badge Bays so share them here.

Erin
23-04-2007, 08:36 PM
its awful isnt it,we have a few lads at work who are physically disabled and have badges,90 percent of the time we take them out and all the disabled spaces are full and surprise surprise they have no badges!!!!!!
it really makes me soooooo angry :evil:

Tanya
23-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I find that its usually the people too lazy to walk an extra couple of metres to the supermarket the steals the disabled parking spaces - oh, and the crazy mothers who cant control their 6 kids!!! ;)

My dad has a disabled badge, which my nan uses when he is in the car with her (coz my dad cant drive). When she gets out and walks around the car she gets a few stares, but nobody realises that the passenger may actually be disabled!! :roll:

alexgirl73
23-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, I so know where you are coming from Jac! I get the exact same stares (though of course as I'm sooooooooo much younger than you I get them more LOL), I came back to my car once and this woman was staring in at it, watches me approach her (using my stick) and asks me if I'm disabled???? What!! She had just had a good look at my badge and my tax disc, sees me walking slowly with a stick and still asks. Stupid woman. I get the ' oh you're too young to be disabled' comments too, yeah like disability only strikes when you're over 60!
And also the ones that watch you like a hawk when you pull into a disabled bay to make sure you look 'disabled enough' grrrrrr!

Sweet
23-04-2007, 10:22 PM
People are too quick to judge a book by its cover.

You go for it girl, give them what for :lol: x

Donna
24-04-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree. People shouldnt park in those spaces if they do not need them.

On the flip side, there are car parks where there are loads and loads of disabled spaces which remain empty all the time. I dont understand how they work out their ratios but sometimes they get it very wrong.

Jac
25-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I know Alex, your hundreds of years younger than me:cat10 .
It really anoys me though how people are so quick to judge.

alexgirl73
25-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Just today I got another one! gggrrrrrr

I parked beside another car that had just pulled into a disabled bay. This couple got out and they're really staring at my car and me. I picked up my blue badge to set the clock on it and they still stared, so I picked up my walking stick, turned to look at the woman and mouthed 'yes! I am disabled'. She put her head down and walked off really quickly, her and her husband. Funny that! Neither of them had any walking aids yet me with the stick got stared at!!!!

Erin
25-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Just today I got another one! gggrrrrrr

I parked beside another car that had just pulled into a disabled bay. This couple got out and they're really staring at my car and me. I picked up my blue badge to set the clock on it and they still stared, so I picked up my walking stick, turned to look at the woman and mouthed 'yes! I am disabled'. She put her head down and walked off really quickly, her and her husband. Funny that! Neither of them had any walking aids yet me with the stick got stared at!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: some people grrrrr

Jac
25-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Aggghh I know what you mean Alex, it really gets my goat!!!
Who on earth decided that you have to be 80 to need a badge:twisted: .

Ceilidh is at the point that if she's with me and someone looks at us she flashes my badge.:oops:

Jac
26-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Well it happened today again!!! agh. I was parked in a disabled bay, just getting out the car and this big fat man came charging over and told me to move as he wanted my space. To begin with I was taken aback, then he said I had no right being there:twisted: Well my blood boiled at that point. I said I had as much right as any other disabled person. He laughed and said I was'nt. I then took my (folding) stick out my bag, flashed my badge and told him to stop being so agressive. I had every right. He then said sorry:oops: but he was fed up with (young) ones taking spaces. I suppose it was a complement in a way but I thought at first he was going to hit me. What can you do?

alexgirl73
26-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Such restraint Jac! I'd have hit him with my stick lol! Blooming eejit!

Jac
26-04-2007, 08:11 PM
:-D @ Alex, No you wouldn't.

When I told Derek he said you dont have to walk with a limp or have a stick to be disabled and I should have asked to see his badge. Funny how it never happens when he's with me.

Soupie
27-04-2007, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=Tanya;368522]I find that its usually the people too lazy to walk an extra couple of metres to the supermarket the steals the disabled parking spaces - oh, and the crazy mothers who cant control their 6 kids!!! ;)
QUOTE]

or they could be one of the hundreds of people under 65 who are denied blue badges by Councils :mad:

I have been trying to get one for two years - another interview in two weeks actually. I freely admit to using a space without one but as I am in a wheelchair or on two crutches and crippled I'm gong to continue to do so. A lot of the time the people I see with badges are more mobile than me :roll:

There is a massive group of people out there - children and people under 30 who cannot get badges as the local authorities often just blanket deny them :cry:

alexgirl73
27-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Good luck Soupie, I really hope you get one. Do you not get higher rate DLA mobility?

CathyW
03-05-2007, 09:14 AM
:-D @ Alex, No you wouldn't.

When I told Derek he said you dont have to walk with a limp or have a stick to be disabled and I should have asked to see his badge. Funny how it never happens when he's with me.my sentiments exactly, i have days where im really out of breath and im puffing n panting (might need more work on the heart) and i get dirty looks, i had one woman ranting at me, so i asked her did she want to see my medication list, and the blue badge. she really upset me.
londons the worse for ppl parking in the bays, and when u point it out to them they just shrug. i started telling them that tescos where issuing 60 quid on the spot fines and they soon drive off LOl

alexgirl73
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I had to hold Robert back on monday! We had gone up to the centre and I was walking holding onto his arm and using my stick. I didn't see her but Robert says this woman looked at me, looked at my stick, looked me up and down and walked off rolling her eyes! He was raging!!!! Obviously as I don't have grey hair and a blue rinse I can't really need it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

yola
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
It's horrible that people are so assumptive in their typecasting of 'disabled' people. The parking spaces are a major issue. Out local Waitrose only have 3, and they are always full. But the number of times I have seen non-disabled people parking in there amazes me.

On a similar note, I have often offered one or both of my children to 'non-childrened' people parking in the parent/child parking spaces. They don't see the funny side of that surprisingly enough :roll:

CathyW
04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
if theres no disabled bays left, a blue badge holder can park in a parent n baby bay, but they have to still display their badges.
i think there should be a heavy fine for those who park wrongly.in london theres quite a few badges that have been stolen, and being used by those who dont need them, especially as u dont pay congestion charge with those badges.

sarahd
04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
We have a blue badge for my son who is 15 and disabled.
He went out a few weeks ago with his rehab worker and it was when we had the really heavy winds.
They had forgotten to take the blue badge with them but parked in the disabled space anyway due to Steven nearly being blown off his feet by the wind. He has limited use of his right hand side and walks with a limp at the best of times so you can imagine trying to keep your balance in that wind.
Anyway two mins later along came a traffic warden and put a parking ticket on the car. They tried reasoning with the parking attendant and she refused despite the fact that my son was hanging on to his carer for dear life so as not to be blown over.
We since have had to write to Leeds City Council proving she has the right to work with my son in the first place, prove we have a blue badge secondly and thirdly have it made out to us that we have been given a favour by not being fined.
Then like you say there are people who dont even have a blue badge that park there in the disabled bays usually with someone still in the car waiting for them to come back out. They still dont even move when they see you waiting for a disabled parking space.

God its annoying lol

Sarah
x

Soupie
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Good luck Soupie, I really hope you get one. Do you not get higher rate DLA mobility?

Appealing for the 3rd time :shock:

I apparently in the words of the DWP "do not suffer enough" - exact words as to why it was denied :mad:

I cannot walk without two crutches and enough morphine to fell a horse and then very slow and tottery and have been in hospital twice this week with respiratory depression which doesnt help but the DWP in their infinite wisdom have said no whilst I am aware of someone who receives the mobility component because she likes to be accompanied shopping :shock: She manages on own but because has mental health issues she only had to say on a bad day she is too scared to go to a bank alone to receive full mobility element. I can't blinking walk but am not allowed it - go figure :(

random
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I cannot comment on disability bays but the parent and child ones are even worse as you don't have to have any special badge so anyone parks there, and it is so frustrating when some idiot has parked their car there for ease and you have to struggle getting your child of the baby the seat without opening the door too wide and bashing the car next to you, and then into pushchair, or even worse when they are very small and having to cart the whole baby seat out of the car in a normal bay is a nightmare.

When my son was a baby my mum would be the driver and she would go mental at people walking to/away from their car in a parent and child spot without a child. :lol:

alexgirl73
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Appealing for the 3rd time :shock:

I apparently in the words of the DWP "do not suffer enough" - exact words as to why it was denied :mad:

I cannot walk without two crutches and enough morphine to fell a horse and then very slow and tottery and have been in hospital twice this week with respiratory depression which doesnt help but the DWP in their infinite wisdom have said no whilst I am aware of someone who receives the mobility component because she likes to be accompanied shopping :shock: She manages on own but because has mental health issues she only had to say on a bad day she is too scared to go to a bank alone to receive full mobility element. I can't blinking walk but am not allowed it - go figure :(

Totally unbelievable!!! I know what these people are like. I've been getting DLA for the last 8 years now. And because of my age I had to apply every year for the first 3 and every time I had to sit in front of an appeal board:mad: It was only when I started getting it for the 3 years that they gave me higher rate mobility, before that I only got personal care. It's all to do with the wording you use int eh forms. I had a friend who's husband was very limited mobility wise. He got turned down for DLA because he had said on the form he could make a cup of tea by himself!!!!!!!!:evil: If you can go to an advice bureau to get help with filling in the forms, they know what they correct terminology is. Very good luck. Will be rooting for you!

Jac
07-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Soupie.... For what it's worth I think that's disgusting. Appeal, get professional help to fill in the form. Keep at them.

Back in December my money was cut, nobody came to see me or contacted my Doctor.
When I asked them what was going? on it seem's someone decided I was getting better! Why? How? I have a degenerative disease, I will not get better, only worse. I'm still waiting for the answer to my appeal and have been told it can take up to 12 weeks. That was 13 weeks ago?