PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy complications

smudgley
22-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll start from the begining incase anyone missed the story.

I spoke to a man a few weeks ago who had found a cat & wanted to get her neutered & said he'd keep her. He did say she may be pregnant so I explained the vets could spay if she was in the early stages but not if she was too far gone, he said if it was possible he'd rather abort the litter & have her spayed. I advised him to go to the vets for a check up.

The cat was pregnant & too far gone to spay.

He said he's rear the litter & I said we'd help with advise etc & help them to home the kittens if need be.

Got a call Saturday to say that they had found a single dead kitten under their bed on the Friday. (24 hours previous) but she was still very big.

I advised take her to the vet ASAP.

They did & the vets called me to ask if we'd pay for C/S & spay. I said ok & they operated.

When they opened her up the one uterine horn was intact with a live kitten in, but the other was completely twisted & the kittens in that side were dead & a right mess. She was spayed, but it was a difficult operation & she was not in good health afterwards. The vets kept her overnight as she was not very well at all.

good news is... I've spoken to the vets today & she is much better today. The kitten is feeding & she is now cleaning him.

She is a very lucky girl & this could have ended much worse. I am so glad they called me when they did & we got the vets involved when we did.

I did ask the people if they wanted to make a donation towards the cost of the operation.

I may try & go to see her one of the days & if I do I'll get some photos.

Fran
22-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Well done for giving good advice and prompting them to get to the vets quickly! That op must be a big strain on CP's financial resources :( I wouldn't have the cheek to ask for the money for the op if I intended to keep the cat :? Are the new owners keeping the kitten too? So glad it turned out well for the poor mummy cat and it just goes to show how easily a 'natural' process like pregnancy can go so terribly wrong and threaten the cats life ....

Tanya
22-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Awww, Smudgley saves the day .... again!! You are brilliant!

I'm glad mum and kitten are ok now ....poor things. :)

smudgley
22-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Well done for giving good advice and prompting them to get to the vets quickly! That op must be a big strain on CP's financial resources :( I wouldn't have the cheek to ask for the money for the op if I intended to keep the cat :? Are the new owners keeping the kitten too? So glad it turned out well for the poor mummy cat and it just goes to show how easily a 'natural' process like pregnancy can go so terribly wrong and threaten the cats life ....

The best part was... I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago for the first time, when they found her & decided to keep her.
It was the vets that had called me to ask if we'd pay (obviously because the people had suggested that we would be paying) by which point the cat had been left at the vets.(because I had to get the ok from the branch Co-ordinator as I couldn't give the ok without asking her 1st for that amount)

Then.... when I called the lady at home to say I'd spoken to the vets & we would pay the bill...I said are you having her & the litter back to look after & she said "oh yes - she's our pet now" :roll: That did bring a smile to my face.

It will be a big strain on our resourses & I honestly don't know how things tick along financially to be honest, but they must do & we get by.

alexgirl73
22-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Poor mummy cat! At least she has one baby to look after and glad it's going so well!

Mags
22-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Well done Smudgley, your prompt action most likely saved the life of both the mommy cat and her kitten.

You....... and the whole Cat's Protection do such worthwhile work.
I'm pleased you have made this post as now people will understand the costs that CP have to bear - it's not just a case of requesting a donation from someone for a cat and that's that! So much more is involved and this gives us an insight of why funds are so desperately needed.

Maybe the people who appear to object to paying a decent donation for a life long companion will now comprehend what goes on behind the scenes;)

dandysmom
22-04-2007, 04:18 PM
What a lucky cat that she was brought to your attention, Smudgley! You saved her life and the kittens...must be such a good feeling! Glad mum and kit are doing well! :D

Sweet
22-04-2007, 04:49 PM
A happy ending, well done x

Kazz
22-04-2007, 05:05 PM
How much does that sort of thing cost these days? I know a friend of mine it cost her hundreds when a JR bitch she found had a C Sectiona dn spay at the same time. I suspect cats are slightly cheaper but not by much maybe?

....not sure if this sounds too harsh but its not actually meant to but I am pleased she had just the one kitten and was alright. And most of all has a home.

Karen

smudgley
22-04-2007, 05:15 PM
It will be hundreds, not exactly sure how much.

The vets would not be our choice of vet, but it's the one the people use & she was already there ready to be operated on, so a bit late to move her.

There were more kittens, but only one viable / surviving one. Others had been dead a while. :(

Animagus
22-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Poor baby... am glad she is doing fine and that she at least has her one baby to show for her pain....

Smudgely in my eyes you are a true
:pom:smt041 HERO :smt041 :pom

Erin
22-04-2007, 06:46 PM
well done smudgley, im glad mommy and baby are both doing well :)

sarahd
22-04-2007, 07:30 PM
If it werent for people like you Smudgeley these poor strays would have a much more horrible life.

Good luck to the mummy cat and her baby hope they continue to recover well

Sarah
x