PDA

View Full Version : Indoor only cats...

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:26 AM
How do those of you that keep your cats as indoor only cats manage during the hot weather with regards to opening windows? Our kitchen window pushes outwards, hubby had it slightly open when he was putting my new kitchen in and I caught Mildred in the act pushing it open further and making a bid for freedom :shock: Luckily I caught her in time and hubby has now fitted some hooks and eyes so that it can only open a small way and can not be pushed further. I think we are probably going to have to fit the same to some of the other windows as summer approaches but I just wondered how other people cope??

dinahsmum
17-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I think you might need to look at screens, like people in the US and Oz etc use? They're really to keep insects out but I think they would keep cats in too.
Difficult problem.
And I think you're right about a hot summer :?

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes hubby suggested that he might make some sort of mesh frames to fit inside the actual window frame or outside it not sure which but the hooks and eyes mean that you can still have a 'normal' window appearance but does limit you to how far you can open the window obviously. We've even had to put a lock on the pantry door as Ria can open it and I am sure she is eyeing up the very back of it as a suitable place to have her babies :roll: These Meezers really are something else!

smudgley
17-04-2007, 10:36 AM
We have kept Bluebell in quite a lot whilst she was growing up :roll: (only been out really when we're there to watch her) & it has driven me mad to be honest. thankfully she now goes in & out like a "big girl" so it's much easier.
can't really offer any advice Fran, the only thing I thought of was - do you have room for a run outdoors for them? not for all of the time, but just occasionally, maybe then they could have some playtime in the run & you can give your house a good airing with the windows open.

How many of yours are indor only Fran? is it 4?

TIGS
17-04-2007, 10:38 AM
thats a good question. i live on the 2nd floor so i get really paranoid.i have sash windows,i think thats what they are called :? mine are open a teeny weeny bit. im thinking of getting a air cooler. i have a fan but ftrightened to use it in case they go near it :( what do you think? would they be ok with a fan? its a stand up one about 4 foot.

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:41 AM
can't really offer any advice Fran, the only thing I thought of was - do you have room for a run outdoors for them? not for all of the time, but just occasionally, maybe then they could have some playtime in the run & you can give your house a good airing with the windows open.

How many of yours are indor only Fran? is it 4?

Yes it's 4 indoor only cats. My cat run is more or less finished but plans have changed :roll: and the run has to come down as Hubby has decided he is building Tom a bedroom at the top of the garden. Tom's bedroom is rather small, we do not want the expense and unpheaval of an extension as we don't think we will stop here for ever, so hubby has come up with this solution which Tom thinks is ace, he's already planning his 'house warming' :roll: :-D At the end of the day he is old enough to leave home next year so this will give him a little bit of privacy and independance whilst still being able to enjoy home comforts ;)

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:43 AM
thats a good question. i live on the 2nd floor so i get really paranoid.i have sash windows,i think thats what they are called :? mine are open a teeny weeny bit. im thinking of getting a air cooler. i have a fan but ftrightened to use it in case they go near it :( what do you think? would they be ok with a fan? its a stand up one about 4 foot.

Fans are usually well covered so that they can't get their paws in aren't they? I have a ceiling fan in the living room but only tend to use a desktop fan in the bedrooms in the height of summer, that was of course before I got the Meezers :roll:

TIGS
17-04-2007, 11:10 AM
maybe i should try the fan. im just a worrier where my boys are concerned :lol:

charliebubs
17-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Fran, zooplus sell some kind of window guards/screens so that you can have the windows open and the cats can't escape. There is also something on that website that Whiskey recommended on my other thread. I'll find a link in a mo.

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest - sorry. :(

Oh, I do have a fan in my bedroom and it's perfectly cat-safe! It's one of those tower fans and there is nothing that they can get their paws into!! :)

charliebubs
17-04-2007, 11:21 AM
https://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102248712&c=10720

They call it a "window-mounted cat porch" - but I think it's just something that you stick in/through the open window!!! lol :-D

Fran
17-04-2007, 11:25 AM
What a strange little gadget! Loved this bit...

Supports cats up to 15 lbs

no hope of Clooney using it then :roll:

Mags
17-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Could you fix a venetian or bamboo blind to the window in such a way that the cats couldn't push their way through it Fran?

TIGS
17-04-2007, 11:43 AM
thanks charliebubs ill get mine out.:D

Fran
17-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Could you fix a venetian or bamboo blind to the window in such a way that the cats couldn't push their way through it Fran?

I do have a venetian blind to the kitchen window Mags but they can climb through it :roll:

sarahd
17-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I have the same problem and someone said to me the best thing is the window screens.
Cats are such Houdini's and can find a way out of almost anything.
I think the window porches look like torture chambers lol

Sarah
x

dandysmom
17-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I have screens on all my windows, and the front porch is screened also. I have a big window exhaust fan in one bedroom window; it's covered so there's no way a paw could get thru to the blades. Mine have never liked having a fan blowing directly on them!!

dandysmom
17-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Fran, this is the type of window fan I have ......... adjusts to fit the window; would only work, I think with a sash window.
http://www.air-conditioner-home.com/photos/1965-8m.jpg

alexgirl73
17-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I've asked my OH to try and make something for the windows to stop my 3 getting out, if he comes up with anything useful I'll let you know lol

Sweet
17-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Love the sound of Toms new bedroom, dont let my son read this......he will want one then too :roll:

Not sure on the window situation for you.....all mine except Jac go out, and even she had another little wander out last night for 5 mins or so x

Fran
17-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Fran, this is the type of window fan I have ......... adjusts to fit the window; would only work, I think with a sash window.

http://www.air-conditioner-home.com/photos/1965-8m.jpg

Thanks for that Eileen, there are probably variations available for other windows.

dandysmom
17-04-2007, 07:49 PM
It keeps the bedroom comfortable in our hot Summers....I don't like air conditioning!

Donna
17-04-2007, 08:01 PM
My windows push outwards from the bottom and can open really wide. They have security locks that allow a small opening. I just keep my windows on that setting. Cant open the window much but dont want the cats getting out the front of the house (or burglars coming in!!)

dinahsmum
21-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Fran - looking through the local paper today I see an advert for flyscreens. "Solutions to keep out flying insects, even next door's cat and keep the budgie in." etc. No website but phone 01258 455049 for a brochure.
Or I found this link on the web http://www.conceptcarpets.co.uk/flyscreens.htm

Let us know of any progress

Fran
21-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Those look really good don't they Dm? I might be interested in the door screens as I was wondering about the French doors and if I would have to keep them shut up all summer :roll: I wonder how 'cat proof' those screens really are, we are talking Meezers here! :lol:

dinahsmum
21-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I wonder if they make them with a choice of mesh Fran - fabric or metal? I would think they might need metal to comply with health/hygiene requirements for food processing premises?

Fran
21-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I shall have a look into it when I get a minute DM, it's certainly something to think about especially as they have predicted a particularly hot summer!

Animagus
21-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Well now that my 2 go out I am ok but before that i only opened the windows on the tilt opening. The screens should work. as for the fan I have a Large floor standing oscillating fan and they dont go near it.

charliebubs
21-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Fran, there was a stand at the show I went to today that makes screens for windows and doors to keep the kitties in. I kept meaning to go and get a leaflet for you, but have to confess that I forgot. Sorry!! :roll:

However, to redeem myself I have also found this link for you............. :lol:

www.cataire.co.uk

borderdawn
21-04-2007, 09:02 PM
How about securing the garden Fran? Inverted fencing? Only cost me about £60 to do the lot, it works just fine and in this warm weather the back door has been open all day and the Cats are safe, I am really pleased with it.

borderdawn
21-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh Fran, there is a super sysyem but I cant find it for the life of me. Its ace, im off to look.

Fran
21-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks all!

Charlie off to look at that link in a minute, thank you :cool:

Dawn, the problem with catproofing the garden is Sylvester and Matilda, they don't get on with the others and would go bananas if I took away their freedom so that they couldn't get away from the others. All the others would be ok but for that reason only I don't think it would work for me. I would be grateful if you could find that link for the screens though :D

borderdawn
22-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Well this is the system i was talking about.
http://www.katzecure.com/index.php
I think it looks good and would work well, might consider it myself.

Could you not put an electronic catflap in the fence and issue only Matilda and Sylvester with the collars to use it? Just thinking out loud.:D
Dawn.

Fran
22-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for that Dawn, I saw this at a show recently and spoke with the rep about it!! If I were to catproof the garden, I think this is what I would go for. Although it wouldn't be straight forward in our garden as we have quite a few trees around the perimeter that they could absail up and then jump over the fencing :?

charliebubs
24-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Fran, was just wondering if you did ever install window-screens??

I'm thinking of getting a couple for the upstairs windows of my new house, as they windows open outwards from the bottom.........................just in case we ever have a summer, or any weather that warrants having the windows open!!!!! :roll:

bobbie3917
12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
thanks guys just what i was looking for
(sorry i know this is over a year old)

Lian
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I know what you mean, it isn't easy. A lot of the modern UPVC windows have a setting which only opens a fraction so a cat can't push it any further but not a big enough gap to squeeze through. I have wooden slated/venetian blinds in the living room so as long as you keep them down but tilted open, you can open the windows as wide as a like without the cats getting out. They work a treat.

charliebubs
12-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I know what you mean, it isn't easy. A lot of the modern UPVC windows have a setting which only opens a fraction so a cat can't push it any further but not a big enough gap to squeeze through. I have wooden slated/venetian blinds in the living room so as long as you keep them down but tilted open, you can open the windows as wide as a like without the cats getting out. They work a treat.

I have that setting on my windows - but it's also not really enough of a gap to get any air in!!!! :)

I have resorted to getting a fan. The downstairs of my house stays quite cool - but the upstairs is so warm. I know we shouldn't moan when it's warm - but it's not nice. So, I've got a couple of fans for the upstairs to keep me and the cats cool.

I'm still considering window screens though - when I have some spare money!!! ;)

bobbie3917
12-05-2008, 06:16 PM
thats the problem here as well Charliebubs the windows will lock open but its not enough for any fresh air in, so in the sitting room we now have the fan up and running most of the day and when Bailey leaves the room the windows get opened wide.
i will be getting some sort of screen as i can not sit with the windows shut for long but its finding the money now

Fran
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I have long hooks and eyes on my windows. I can open the windows for as far as will allow without the cats getting our using very long hooks and eyes on either side of the windows. Have to say this has worked really well and is a very cheap option :cool:

random
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
In my new place they are double glazed units but in wood, not plastic, I prefer them but they do not open very far apart from the wee top ones but I intend on cat proofing the garden anyway.

charliebubs
13-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I have long hooks and eyes on my windows. I can open the windows for as far as will allow without the cats getting our using very long hooks and eyes on either side of the windows. Have to say this has worked really well and is a very cheap option :cool:

What??? Hooks and eyes???? Please can we have photos, Fran - I have no idea what you're talking about - but if it's cheap and works I might have a go!!!! ;)

bobbie3917
13-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi Fran any chance you could take a pic and show us please

opps didnt see above post lol

Fran
13-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Lol, they are straight forward hooks and eyes that you can get at any hardware store but yes of course I'll take some piccies ;)

bobbie3917
14-05-2008, 02:55 AM
thank you, i think i know what you mean but just to make sure lol

Fran
14-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Here, you go.....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/chapelrose/Window0001.jpg

You need to bend the hook a little so that it doesn't just pop back out of the eye easily and if you put hooks and eyes on both sides of the window, it makes it doubly secure. I have these on a few of my windows and they have been really great, no one has escaped yet :lol:

Of course you can buy longer hooks, if you would like your windows to open out a little further ;)

borderdawn
14-05-2008, 04:57 PM
This is an excellent product.

http://www.cataire.co.uk/

bobbie3917
15-05-2008, 02:29 AM
thanks fran
what a goo idea, my windows open like doors but i still think that it would work

hi Dawn
thanks i have seen that site, they look great and i do think i will get them for my living room windows but it would take a while for my to get them for the hole house cos of the cost so maybe frans idea will work for the time being, or on some of the windows