PDA

View Full Version : Help needed and ideas

Jac
17-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I have to put my vanity down the loo and get myself a walking stick:( . I have cruches but hardly ever use them outside the house as people stare.
I need help getting up out the seat which is difficult if Derek isnt here. A stick is more practicul too.
Where will I get a nice one?
Alex I looked in the local charity shops ect but couldnt see any.
It's really hit home to me over the weekend. I was out a couple of times on my own and nearly came a cropper twice:( . Any ideas?

dinahsmum
17-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Dunno Jac - but I bet there are places.
You could go totally 'in your face' and get an outrageous one ... big knobbly thing, or flourescent pink or something! Or look for something very discrete.
Maybe do some web-searching on sites for younger people who aren't so mobile - MS and the like?
Hope someone can help x

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Was going to suggest doing some googling but DM beat me to it :lol:

Hope you find something that you can 'live' with Jac, let us know how you get on x

Jac
17-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks will have a wee google to myself:-D . Will let you know what I come up with.

dinahsmum
17-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Was going to suggest doing some googling but DM beat me to it :lol:

:-D :-D :-D
This any good for you Jac? http://www.alphamarque.com/health/Petite-Folding-Cane-Autumn-Gold/
Don't know how robust it is but you're only a dotty aren't you?

yola
17-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Jac - if it were me, I'd go for something really outrageous to make a statement about having to have a walking stick . . . maybe get several so they co-ordinate with your nail colours ;)

Not sure where to look but I'm sure the internet would be the best place to start!

Jac
17-04-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.verko.co.uk/uploads/thumbnails/Det_CC4616.jpg (http://www.verko.co.uk/product.aspx?catno=24&prod=CC4616)What do you think? Autum gold!!

Jac
17-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh NOOOO I just bought the same one on another site for double the price.....

Fran
17-04-2007, 10:59 AM
It's funky Jac, I like it!! That's the one that DM has posted to a link to above isn't it??

Jac
17-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeh we must have the same tast. Only I missed DM's link and have just paid double for the same thing. Dumbo that I am.

Fran
17-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Oh NOOOO I just bought the same one on another site for double the price.....

Oh no Jac :mad: Anyway you can canel the order???? Is there a phone number to ring??

Jac
17-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeh Fran I'm going to try it now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fran
17-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeh Fran I'm going to try it now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed tightly Jac x

Erin
17-04-2007, 11:18 AM
thats very funky jac,i hope they let you cancel so you can order the cheaper one!

Mags
17-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Jac, I have seens lots of walking sticks for sale at seaside resorts, in their gift shops............. is their anything like that near you? I've even seen them with animal handles!;)

alexgirl73
17-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I lile that loads Jac, hope you managed to get your order cancelled okay! My wooden one just came out of the pound shop, but I really want a nice one like the one you posted.

random
17-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Jac that's a lovely one, if you can't cancel the order maybe ask if they do a price match?

Hope you sorted it out ok. x

Jac
17-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Yahooo thanks DM, managed to stop the first order! Got the same stick for less than half price. The othe site was charging £25 p&p for the same stick!
I should get it between 2 and 3 days.

charliebubs
17-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm pleased they cancelled the original order for you Jac.

I really like that stick - very funky!!!!!!!!! ;)

Sweet
17-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Very nice! and so glad you were able to cancel the original order and buy elsewhere x

Jac
17-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm glad I managed to cancell it too. It means I can get another one:-D . Think I'll go for a cream and peach one next time. I have alot of outfits that would suit.

Fran
17-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Glad you managed to sort it our Jac!

Donna
17-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Glad you managed to cancel the expensive one!!

dinahsmum
18-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Hope it's as nice in real life as it looks in the picture.
Another plus is that it can fold into your bag, which is great, especially when you are out. There is something about the 'clatter' of a stick falling from the back of a chair or sliding down the wall it's been leaning on. It's a very particular noise, and seems to cry out "crumblie alert", "useless, shuffling person here" ......... not nice, especially if you are sensitive about your condition.
You'll have to get a wardrobe of sticks Jac

Soupie
21-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Try a local chemist Jac - ours has a variety of different types of stick :D

I know what you mean about stared at with crutches - I use mine all the time and the other day I was happily sunning myself on the platform waiting for the train to work when a random woman just came up and said "what's up with you then?"

Why do strangers think it's acceptable to be so nosey :mad:

Animagus
22-04-2007, 02:52 PM
You could maybe also get an ordinary one for special occasions and dress it up yourself you get cheap and cheerful out of poundland sometimes my mum got one and its come in well handy. I dont mind using my crutch when I have to I just ignore the stares.

Jac
23-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I haven't got my new stick yet:( . I did try one in a local pound shop on Sat, Ceilidh told me it was a Grandad stick and Derek told me to put it down:lol: .
I should really walk with two elbow crutches but normally just take one. I didn't realise there were so many others that need then here too.:shock: Yes people can be very ignorant and I'm going to start another thread about Blue Badges:lol: .