PDA

View Full Version : Cat carriers for planes

Lena
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
I'll lose my Catsey virginity here instead of the introductions page - I'll get round to that when I have a cat to tell you about! My birman kitten's still a few weeks from being old enough to move home so I'm preoccupying myself with shopping.

I'm shopping for a carrier which would be suitable for air travel as I'll be taking the cat with me on long holidays to my parents' house in Finland. Does anyone know of a cat carrier which they could recommend for the little kitty to travel in? Should anyone regularly transport their pets to other European countries, I'd also be very interested in hearing how you've found the airport procedures and how your cats have managed the plane journeys.

I've been absolutely chuffed to find so much useful information from this forum so a great big thanks to you all!
xx

Fran
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Warm welcome and congratulations on your forthcoming new arrival!! My two newest carriers are designed for airlines, I'll try and find a link for you....

Mags
10-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi Lena, welcome to Catsey!

How lucky you are having a little Birman kitten to look forward to:D

(http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/ecommerce/Scripts/prodList%7EidCategory%7E29.htm)

Fran
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Here you go..

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=327&pf_id=5536

I have two of these, I love them, they have a carry strap, front and top opening doors, food and water bowls etc...

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Lena,

Welcome to Catsey!!! :)

I have the same carrier that Fran has linked to above and would definitely recommend it - it's fantastic!!! and approved by airlines.

As for flying with cats................I lived in Australia for a while and had one of my cats whilst I was there and she flew back with me. :)

She was totally fine. There was a lot of paperwork and requirements beforehand (i.e. rabies jab and rabies blood test) and I actually got a pet travel agent to help me in the end.

As for the actual flight though - she was fine. You couldn't really get a longer flight either!! :lol: She stopped in Singapore for water, but stayed in her carrier. She didn't have any food for a few hours before the flight and wasn't sedated (I don't agree that sedation is a good idea). She was looking quite frightened when I went to collect her at the Animal Reception Area at Heathrow, but settled down really quickly and I don't think it affected her at all really.

I hope that has helped. :)

Feel free to ask anything that I have forgotten.

Sweet
11-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Good morning and welcome to Catsey.

Looking forward to your pics when your little one comes home with you x

Hreow
11-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome!!
Plan well in advance. Your kitten has to be old enough for the injections and then it's a six month wait until you may travel... :-) Also get in touch with the airline you're flying with to check if they have any special demands.

random
11-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Here you go..

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=327&pf_id=5536

I have two of these, I love them, they have a carry strap, front and top opening doors, food and water bowls etc...

This is my cat carrier, which is also at the moment serving as a birthing box. I'd really recommend this one it's brilliant.

Welcome to Catsey! :-D

dinahsmum
11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Check out your airlines too.
Last time I did any research on this, only KLM and Air Canada allow small pets in the cabin - others make them go in the hold. I wouldn't want my pet to be separated from me for scary events like air travel .....
Good luck

charliebubs
11-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Check out your airlines too.
Last time I did any research on this, only KLM and Air Canada allow small pets in the cabin - others make them go in the hold. I wouldn't want my pet to be separated from me for scary events like air travel .....
Good luck

Kuta wasn't allowed in the cabin - but it wasn't the cargo hold either - it was a special in-between bit where the "livestock" went.

They also advised me not to go on the same flight as her, as I would be worried all the way and panic at the slightest turbulance etc, so I took that advice and we flew home separately. :shock:

It worked for us though!!! ;)

Fran
11-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome!!
Plan well in advance. Your kitten has to be old enough for the injections and then it's a six month wait until you may travel... :-) Also get in touch with the airline you're flying with to check if they have any special demands.

I think it depends where you are going now whether you have to wait the six months. Some countries you can take your pets under the pet passport scheme I think although I am not an expert on these matters by any means :roll:

Lena
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you all! I'm so excited about this kitten that everyone and the kitchen sink knows, I'm like a woman possessed :D The kitten's now 8 weeks old, although I could bet she's at least two years old because that's how long it seems I've waited.

Thank you, Fran, for recommending the carrier! It looks very good and seems to fit the criteria for cargo carriers. These days all pets have to travel to the UK in that special pet area in the hold of the plane, you can't take them into the cabin with you. It's a right bummer, but it seems that Defra and at least BA have very strict rules on this. Other European countries / airlines are much more relaxed - but then that goes with a lot of things these days!

I'll certainly update you with pictures once I go visit the kittens in a few weeks' time. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hreow
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I think it depends where you are going now whether you have to wait the six months. Some countries you can take your pets under the pet passport scheme I think although I am not an expert on these matters by any means :roll:

That's with the pet passport. :-) You need a vaccination for... rabies is it?... and you need to have it six months before you travel. Or at least that was the state of things when I asked a year ago. After the first time it is probably a case of just maintaining the vaccinations at regular intervals, though.

Found this:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/owners.htm (http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/guide.htm)
"5.2 An animal may not enter or re-enter the UK until six calendar months have elapsed from the date the blood sample was drawn and from which a satisfactory test result was achieved. An animal requires only one satisfactory blood test and a six month wait provided the subsequent rabies booster vaccinations are given by the required date."