PDA

View Full Version : Abi - been to emergency vets tonight...

charliebubs
09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
OMG!

I thought Abi was better this afternoon and then this evening she really seemed to take a turn for the worse.

She started walking with a wobble and with her head tilted to the side. It was like she was drunk and her eyes seemed funny too - like she couldn't focus.

I rang the emergency vets tonight and explained the symptoms to them - they said they could see us at 10.15, so we've been and I've just got back.

The vet said that her eyes are funny and her responses are slow (slow nystagmus - whatever that is :? ). They took her temperature, listened to her chest, checked her eyes and ears and decided that they think it's her ears. Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was starting to think brain tumours and the like. :( The vet said that given her age she thinks it's unlikely to be anything neurological.

She has suggested that I take her to my own vets in the morning and arrange for them to put her under GA and syringe her ears - she may have a perforated ear drum and that might be the problem.

What a relief!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that the vet is right.

Sweet
09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh no - what a night for you, ((((((hugs))))) I hope all goes well tomorrow x

Mags
09-04-2007, 10:47 PM
So sorry to hear that Charlie .........poor Abi, let's hope it's nothing more serious:( Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow ...((((hugs))))

Moli
09-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh! Charlie what a fright you must have got, problem with cats thery hide things so well, glad she has been seen, good luck at the vets tomorrow....

dandysmom
09-04-2007, 10:48 PM
OMG, how frightening! Please do keep us posted...(((hugs)))

Fran
09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh Charlie what a worry :( Fingers crossed that it is something simple to sort out. How is she since going to the vet? Did the vet give her anything? Poor love, please let us know how she gets on x {{{Hugs}}}

charliebubs
09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone.

Fran - yes, they did. They gave her an antibiotic shot and a steroid injection.

She seems very lathargic now and generally quiet, but the vet said that would be the case. She said that the injections would reduce any swelling too and help her if she's feeling in pain.

Moli - you're right. They do hide things so well...........little so and so's.

It has been such a fright. :(

random
09-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh dear what a worry, I hope she is ok and it is just an ear problem that can be easily treated. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Fran
09-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I hope the medication helps her to feel better and that your own vet gets to the root of the problem tomorrow Charlie x

dinahsmum
10-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Poor Abi - hope they get to the bottom of it today and clear it up. Sounds like it could be an ear/balance thing.
Nystagmus is when you can see a cat's third eyelid, I think. They have a third lid which goes across the eye from inside to outside (does that make sense?) but we only see it when they are poorly

Fran
10-04-2007, 08:36 AM
How is Abi this morning Charlie?

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for asking Fran. She's been admitted to the vets this morning.

They gave her a thorough examination this morning and said that they agree that it may be her ears. They said that there is enough wax in there that they cannot see the ear drum and they thought that they could also see polyps.

She seemed worse this morning. I had to carry her down the stairs as she seemed so unbalanced and disorientated. :(

She's in the best place for her though. They are going to put her under anaesthetic, flush out the ears, remove any polyps and take an x-ray of her skull and see what they find.

They said that she's young for it to be anything like a stroke or brain problems, but they're not ruling anything out yet. :(

Fingers crossed for her please and send lots of love our way.
xx

Sweet
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Fingers and paws crossed here - sending loads of love and get well vibes x

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Poor Abi - hope they get to the bottom of it today and clear it up. Sounds like it could be an ear/balance thing.
Nystagmus is when you can see a cat's third eyelid, I think. They have a third lid which goes across the eye from inside to outside (does that make sense?) but we only see it when they are poorly

DM - I have learnt what nystagmus is today.........here is a definition I found on the net.......

Nystagmus is an involuntary movement of the eyes which is usually from side to side, however sometimes the eyes move up and down and in some cases the eyes may move in a circular motion

Apparently it's fairly common in Siamese, the same as cross-eyes can occur. :?

yola
10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Charlie - I'm so sorry to be reading this. You must be beside yourself with worry. It could be a really bad attack of vertigo; I've had that and it's so disorientating that you don't really know which way up the world is. That is an inner ear infection-driven thing so your vet might be on the right tracks.

I will be thinking of you today and doing some worrying alongside you. Hugs to you and Abi.

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks Yola.

I've been reading up on ear problems on the internet and feel more confident that this is what it is now. I was worrying about all kinds of awful things earlier! :(

The FAB website describes middle-ear problems as having these symptoms...........

The signs seen include difficulty in balancing, a tendency to sway or stumble, sometimes circling and often head tilt. Because there is no external sign of infection, positive diagnosis can be difficult as the ear drum often remains intact and in any case the type of pus produced in the middle ear is semi-solid in consistency. X-rays occasionally help.

Which is exactly what Abi was like. Bless her - she must be wondering what on earth is going on - poor little mite.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from the vets. :)

Fran
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Charlie, I have everything crossed for Abi {{{Hugs}}} x

Donna
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Fingers crossed for you and Abi x

Mags
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Sending healing vibes to Abi and ((((hugs)))) to you Charlie...... xx

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
The vet has just called me and it seems to have gone well.

Her right ear is okay.

Her left ear wasn't so good. There was lots of wax quite far down the ear canal and they have flushed all that out. There weren't any polyps as they thought there might be - but her left eardrum is ruptured. :(

There is no infection, which is good, and the x-ray showed that the inner ear all looks okay.

She is coming home with antibiotics later today, her ear mustn't get wet and they want to see her again in a couple of days.

He said that he thinks the problem will now be solved and she should be back to herself. I sooooooooo hope so!! :)

Mags
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM
That's good news Charlie....what a relief !!

Give her a gentle cuddle from Auntie Mags when she gets home....:D

Moli
10-04-2007, 02:40 PM
So plesased to hear this Charlie, hugs from me too...........

yola
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
So pleased that the vets seem to have got to the bottom of Abi's problem. Hope she continues to improve.

Fran
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
What a relief Charlie *phew* Lots of tlc when she comes home x

Sweet
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Thats a huge worry off your mind....give her a big ((((((hug)))))) from her Auntie Julie x

Samz5
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out ok.
My cat Rags has a split ear drum (don't know if ear drums heal?), many years ago we put some drops in his ears and he had an episode just like Abi's, thats how we found out about it, it was really scary.

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out ok.
My cat Rags has a split ear drum (don't know if ear drums heal?), many years ago we put some drops in his ears and he had an episode just like Abi's, thats how we found out about it, it was really scary.

Awww - poor Rags. :(

Apparently the ear drum can heal quite well, but getting it wet is one of the worst things that can happen and can make the cat deaf on that side apparently. :shock:

It certainly has been scary. I'm relieved that it's "only" her ear really - I was thinking much worse things last night. :roll:

Hugs to Rags too.

charliebubs
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I've got lots of hugs to pass on to Abi when she comes home now!!!! ;)

She probably doesn't realise she has so many aunties!!! lol

Thanks everyone for your support. :)

Amie
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Sounds very painful poor thing:( Hope she is feeling better soon:D

dandysmom
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm so happy to hear the news, Charlie, I know you must have been beside yourself with worry! (((hugs))) to you both!

dinahsmum
10-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Glad she's on the mend. Good news.:)

Now the cat's third eyelid is called the nictitating membrane, apparently. Ho hum:?

whiskey
10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
hope abi is on the mend now and she feels better very soon:)

alexgirl73
10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Just caught up with this Charlie! I'm so glad Abi is ok! You must have been worried sick about her ((hugs)) to you both x

tilly
10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
i have been away or a few day so I am just catching up. Sorry to hear Abi was unwell and I hope that she is much better now

Sally

Jac
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Just caught up with this Cahrlei. You must ahve been sick with worry. I'm so glad the vet got to the bottom of it though.
Sending cuddles to Abby (((((((())))))))) hehe and a drink to you if I could.

Elaine
10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Dear Lord, poor Abi. At least you acted quickly Charlie and got her the help she needed. Tell her that her aunty Elaine says not to be so caught up on the feline survival stuff and to meow very loudly any time she feels poorly.:roll: :lol:
Big hugs to both of you xxx

borderdawn
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Hope she makes a full recovery, best of luck.
Dawn.

Fran
11-04-2007, 08:16 AM
How is Abi this morning Charlie?

charliebubs
11-04-2007, 01:20 PM
She seems much better again this morning, thanks Fran.

She has eaten and played and been climbed all over by Lily's kittens!!! :lol:

She is still slightly wobbly on her feet, but the vet did say that it might take a couple of days for that to settle down.

Bless her - it must have been awful for her and so painful. :(

Fran
11-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm glad she is on the mend Charlie :cool: