PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please??

Fran
09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Em is going to a murder/mystery sleepover party on Saturday. The children have to go in 80's dress. I know it was an era of gaudy make-up and 'big hair' but ideas please as how to dress her :?

dinahsmum
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Big shoulders! :) Power dressing, cinched belts, big hair - you've got it!
You should be able to find shoulder pads in the 'haberdasher' section of big stores - or maybe you have a Gordon Thoday (do they stil exist?) or similar?
Try googling Butterick or McCalls or similar for dressmaking patterns for that era and see what you can make of that. I 'll have a look myself if I can squeeze another few minutes at the PC (where are the days going?)
Good luck :)

Edit
I didn't have much luck with googling dress patterns - mostly individual ones for sale on eBay. However, the Museum of Costume, Bath, gave these fashion themes for the 80s

Leggings
Bodies
Skirt suits
Boob tubes
Trainers and sportswear
Levi 501s
Long, baggy T-shirts
Ra-ra skirts
Shoulder-pads
Bum-bags

Some of those - leggings, ra-ra skirts etc would suit Em's age better than the 'power-dressing' thing

Donna
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
http://www.ultra-pop.org/images/band/adam_and_ants.jpg

http://s.yottamusic.com/i/aokf.79yu

This is how I remember the 80's style!

Jac
09-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Yip big hair...perms...big,big shoulders, tight trousers, high heals, loads of eye make up and heaps of fun:lol:

dandysmom
09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Good luck! Pics of Em when she's outfitted? :D

Sweet
09-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I loved the 80's ! x

charliebubs
09-04-2007, 06:03 PM
I was a bit young to remember the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha ;)

Big hair, big shoulders and bright colours.

Pics of her dressed up too please Fran. :)

Fran
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all your replys :cool: Will look at the links now :)

random
09-04-2007, 09:24 PM
80's is all back in now, leggings and long fitted t-shirt/dresses over them, and bright colours. Big hairsprayed 'do' aswell! :lol: Have a look at some 80's films. A good excuse to get out the classics! :-D

Good luck and I agree, we NEED pics! :lol:

alexgirl73
09-04-2007, 10:03 PM
big hair, blue eyeshadow (oh I remember that!), drainpipe jeans. sweaters to the knees, fingerless gloves, black tights worn with white ankle socks (all the fashion at my school lol). Chunky bright jewellery (claires has loads of this stuff in just now) ie bangles and geometric shaped earrings! ra ra skirts. Just look at madonna for inspiration!!