PDA

View Full Version : hurt keanus tail! broken??

jenny
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
well i dont know how i did it, but i must have. Keanu's tail was bleeding all over the place this morning after a trapped it between the wall and a lamp by accident. theres blood all up the walls, doors etc. Anyway, it stopped bleeding and at first he was holding half of it limp. He doesnt seem to be holding it as limp now, but it does feel like theres a lump there now... like a broken tail feels. Is it possible its just swollen?

Im not sure if the vet is open tomorrow.

do u think i need to take him or see how it goes??

he isnt at this present time insured as his free insurance ran out a couple of weeks ago and its been so hectic here that i havent gotten round to doing it. not to mention the card we were going to put the insurance onto has been lost and my OH hasnt ordered a new one yet.

anyway, thats not the point. if he desperately needs the vet i'll take him anyway.

does anyone have any experience of this? should i be worried? he seems ok in himself and is eating etc. doesnt find it as painful to the touch as he did this morning.

any advice appreaciated :)

Moli
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I would definitely get him to a vet Jenny, if its limp could wll be broken....Poor baby, it must be painful for him....

Fran
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
It could just be swelling that is making it limp but if it were me I would get the vet to have a look at it. Your vet will have emergency cover if they are not open. The fact that it has been bleeding suggests there is a woulnd that might need antibiotics.

My only experience of a tail problem in cats is years ago when one of mine came home in extreme discomfort with a totally limp tail. An x-ray revealed a slipped disc which was given time to recover. The vet wasn't hopeful that she would regain use of her tail and said that if she didn't then amputation might be necessary but luckily she did regain full use of her tail although it was weeks and weeks before it was back to normal again.

Good luck and let us know how Keanu goes on Jenny x

dandysmom
06-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Hard to tell from the description if it's broken or just swollen, but I'd definitely get him into the vet to be seen; don't like the bit about the blood. Better safe than sorry! Years ago I accidentally closed the door just as my Siamese was swishing his tail and it got slammed on hard...wasn't broken, thank goodness, but very painful and swollen. Poor Keanu!!

Donna
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I say vets - just to get a professional opinion.

Jac
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
If there was that amount of blood, whether broken or not I'd be going to the vets.

dinahsmum
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Hope things are improving today Jenny.
Poor Keanu and hugs to you - remember that accidents do happen and don't beat yourself up

jenny
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
well i phoned the emergency vet and they said my normal vet it open tomorrow, so im going to take him in tomorrow. they said they will prob have to take an xray and stuff to see if its broken.

if its not broken. will they be able to tell without an xray? he seems ok in himself, but still holding his tail limp.
oh i hope its not broken, he had such a beautiful tail :(

Hreow
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
They'll need an xray to tell if anything has been fractured. Tomorrow will tell. Good luck.

Mags
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Good luck at the vets tomorrow Jenny, I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious....

Sweet
06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I am busy catching up as per usual lol :roll:

I hope hes a little better today ((((((hugs)))))) x

Fran
06-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Hope it all goes well at the vets tomorrow Jenny, let us know how you get on...

dandysmom
06-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Glad he's being seen! Is he eating, weeing, etc. normally? Do please let us know the results....

Elaine
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Aww poor baby, hope his splendid tail it ok, if not, he'll just have to have a special splendid but quirky tail. xxx
Joking aside, hope all is well xxxx

Kay
06-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Hope all goes well for Keanu at the vets and that it isn't broken. Let us know ASAP.

Jac
07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Good luck at the Vet's today.

I hope all goes well. Remember if it is broken it will heal. As others have said accidents happen. Dont tourcher yourself with if's and but's. It was a accident. (((((((()))))))) Hugs.

Animagus
07-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey Jenny sorry to hear about Keanu's tail and hope that it isn't broken. And don't blame yourself hun accidents do happen and he will forgive you for it xxxx

Good Luck at the Vets XX

jenny
07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
just got back from vet.
they said that it could just be swelling or it could be a fracture. but they said that because they couldnt really tape it, and that the tail would just reset itself, maybe wonky, but still.
they said that if the end of the tail goes hard and cold, then they would have to amputate the end, but didnt think it would go that far.

so theyve given him some antibiotics and anti inflamatorys and said to keep an eye.

so im well relieved! :)

Jac
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Oh glad things went well. Well better than you thought.
Now get that insurance sorted! :lol: A great releif..

Mags
07-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Glad things weren't as bad as you thought Jenny ;)

Breathe a big sigh of relief now and relax , he'll be fine :D

Donna
07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Lets hope it all mends itself quickly!

dinahsmum
07-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Now - a little story. Once upon a time, in Siam, the wicked jealous suitor kidnapped the beautiful princess and held her captive. Nobody knew wher she was, except her faithful and intellegent Siamese. He leapt upto/downto the place she was being held. The princess took off her angagement ring, put it on the cats tail and *snick* (ouch!) broke the tail so that it bent over and the ring would stay put. The cat went to the fiance, who recognised the ring and followed the cat back to rescue his fiancee, the princess.
So that is why some Siamese have a kink in the last half-dozen joints of their tail...........

......... or that is what the breeder of my late lamented Min told me. (Min, like many Siamese, had a kinked tail). She also charged me £60 instead of £90 :)

So, if Keanu ends up with a kink you can tell the story but set it in Bengal instead! :)

Elaine
07-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Aww bless, I hope it mends well. xxx

dandysmom
07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Now - a little story. Once upon a time, in Siam, the wicked jealous suitor kidnapped the beautiful princess and held her captive. Nobody knew wher she was, except her faithful and intellegent Siamese. He leapt upto/downto the place she was being held. The princess took off her angagement ring, put it on the cats tail and *snick* (ouch!) broke the tail so that it bent over and the ring would stay put. The cat went to the fiance, who recognised the ring and followed the cat back to rescue his fiancee, the princess.
So that is why some Siamese have a kink in the last half-dozen joints of their tail...........

......... or that is what the breeder of my late lamented Min told me. (Min, like many Siamese, had a kinked tail). She also charged me £60 instead of £90 :)

So, if Keanu ends up with a kink you can tell the story but set it in Bengal instead! :)
Oh DM, I'd forgotten that story! Heard it when I had my late lamented Su-ling, who didn't have a kink, nor crossed eyes....took the breeders a long time to weed those defects out...

Kay
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
So glad things went well at the vets. Lets hope Keanu's tail heals quickly.

Fran
07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Hope it mends quickly Jenny x

dinahsmum
16-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Jenny - what's the verdict on Keanu's tail? Has it mended seamlessly?

jenny
16-04-2007, 07:29 PM
hi dm, still giving him his antibiotics/anti inflammatorys.

he still has a small 'bump' in his tail, but other than that it doesnt seem to hurt him anymore and hes carrying it normally.
i dont think the bump will ever go away, unless its just bad swelling!

im so glad hes ok tho :D