PDA

View Full Version : new kitten but need advice

TIGS
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
hi as you all know i picked up my 8 wk old kitten yesterday.
he is a lovely little thing :)
the thing i need advice for is how tigger is with him :?
everytime kitten walks about tigger jumps at him,he either hits him or couple of times he has pinned kitten down and grabbed him by the throat with his mouth :(
although tigger hasnt hissed or growled at kitten its the other way around.
other times he just sniffs or licks him.
im just worried that tigger will hurt him :(
any suggestions please :(

charliebubs
05-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I would suggest that you have "thrown" them together too quickly. You only got him yesterday and Tigger is probably wondering what on earth has happened.
I would say that you need to go back to step one and introduce them really slowly to each other making sure that they get used to each other's smells etc from behind closed doors before you actually put them together.

Put them in separate rooms to start with and let them have their own bedding, then after a day or so swap each others bedding so that they have that smelling of the other cat.

Then do that again a couple of days later.

Then let them see each other - but supervised. Ideally if you have a wire pen or kitten cage you can put the little one in so that Tigger can have a good look and a smell, but not be able to hurt him.

They will gradually get used to each other - but it's really important with cats not to rush it. They have to take it at their own speed.

Good luck!! :)

Fran
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival!! Sounds like Tigger is just showing the kitten who the boss is. I'd suggest supervised meetings until they get to know each other. Make sure that Tigger is getting plenty of fuss and cuddles so that he doesn't become jealous of the new baby. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Don't forget we want piccies ;)

random
05-04-2007, 04:30 PM
It will take time for them to get on, you only just got your new kitten yesterday! Give it some time.

They don't sound too bad, and if they aren't having any bad fights then just lots of supervision when they are together, and don't leave them together alone.

Take it slowly, Tigger probably feels very put out that there is a new strange kitten invading his home, and the new kitten is probably very frightened and confused.

It is a rare occasion that you can just throw 2 cats together and they get on from the onset, unless they are both very young. Take a step back, and take it slowly.

dandysmom
05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Fran's summed it up nicely, IMO ! It's hard not to fuss over an adorable kitten, but Tigger does need a little extra TLC now....

TIGS
05-04-2007, 04:35 PM
charliebubs all i have got is a bird cage got no kitten cage or anything :(

fran im always making a fuss of tigs.they both asleep at the moment.pics will come soon once things have calmed down a bit :)

TIGS
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
thank you for all your advice :)
i know its early days :)

charliebubs
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Good luck with it Tigs - keep us posted!!! I'm sure all will be fine in time. :)

TIGS
05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
thank you charliebubs :)

Mags
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Congratulations on your new kitten TIGS....:D

Very good advice has already been given above so the important thing is to take it very slowly introducing the kitten to Tigger........ let him get used to the smell of the kitten being in the house first, then you can gradually introduce for very short periods at a time.:D

Good luck, I'm sure they will get on together after a while ....... have you given him a name yet?:D

TIGS
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
oh yeah we have decided to call him shadow :)

Fran
05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
oh yeah we have decided to call him shadow :)

What a lovely name TIGS :cool:

dinahsmum
05-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Good luck with the introductions.
You've had lots of good advice