PDA

View Full Version : another moral dilema

Emm
04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
okay heres another moral dilema - since I took in Felix I have had this other cat come in and eat and sleep in my house - I'm not bothered about this at all apart from he is an intact male who sprays and stinks a bit. I'm pretty sure he is not a stray because I have seen him about for a few years now but its only been since we took in Felix that he has been visiting - we think that Felix has been going around telling all the cats hey go to that house they will feed you, there are loads of great sleeping spots and they have excellant catnip toys! :lol:

anyway please answer honestly - if you could actually get hold of him (hes very shy and runs as soon as we go near him) would you just take him to the vets and get him neutered?

I'm really tempted because he really does stink.

Fran
04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
If it were me, I would bite the bullet and take him to the vets and get him neutered!

Emm
04-04-2007, 11:49 PM
if I could catch him I'm really tempted - but then in the back of my mind I think what would happen if something went wrong in the operation and he died - and I didn't know who his owners were - I would feel terrible.

Fran
04-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Of course there is a risk with any anaesthetic but the risk is minimal and I think given the circumstances I would be prepared to take that risk... Do let us know what you decide to do..

Emm
05-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I will do - trying to gain his trust is the hardest thing - hes a very cute cat though short haired all black - it means I'm now feeding 6 cats - definately at my limit now - for my sanity :lol:

Fran
05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
it means I'm now feeding 6 cats - definately at my limit now - for my sanity :lol:

Yes I seem to recall saying that and now I have 9 cats :shock:

Emm
05-04-2007, 12:13 AM
no definately NO more for me :lol:

dandysmom
05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Emm, I don't know the actual mortality figures for neutering, but sure it is very, very low...I'd not worry about that if I were you. The cat would be much healthier and happier if he was free of those urges and would eventually stop spraying. If you can manage to catch him, I'd say go for it!

Hreow
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I'd try to fit a collar with a note volunteering to neuter him first. If he has owners, they should at least know he's welcome, but smelly. :-)

dinahsmum
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I'd try to fit a collar with a note volunteering to neuter him first. If he has owners, they should at least know he's welcome, but smelly. :-)
That's such a good idea!
Extra kitty-treats for you :)

Rosie
05-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Unless you could prove beyond doubt that he is a stray I would say definitely NO. You could find yourself in trouble for doing this to somebody else's cat (I totally 100% agree with neutering incidentally). In this day and age of "litigation" you have to be very careful.

Samz5
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Emm, I have been going through the a similar dilema you can read about my 'stray' here http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=20027 (http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=20027)

I found out my stray had an owner after flyering the whole street, just the owner is useless at caring for his poor cat! I like the collar idea too!

This week we took him to the vet to have him tested for FIV/ FeLV since he is un neutered and gets into fights he has a good chance of having those and he is coming into our house and mixing with our cats, lucky for all of us the tests came back clear.

Oh and the next time he sees a vet hes being neutered!

charliebubs
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I had a similar problem too and it turned out that the visitor had FeLV. Please do be careful about any contact he may have with Felix. It was a really worrying time for me waiting to get my cats tested to see if they had it too. Fortunately they have all been negative - but it's really not worth the worry.

I know how hard it is to turn them away - but you have to do the right thing for Felix at the end of the day.

I would catch the intruder and take him to the vets. See if he has a microchip and see if they will neuter. My vets wouldn't neuter the stray/intruder I had as I couldn't agree to take him in and look after him after the op (as I have other cats and he was upsetting them).

Good luck :)

Moli
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I had the same problem, Chancer used to come in a spray and did he stink, but had him neutered after discovering he had been straying for about a year, hehas moved in and all is not calm again...

random
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM

EXCELLENT! i'd never have thought of that! :roll: :lol:

That's a great idea and i'd go with that first, and then i'd bite the bullet and get him done, there's no worse smell than cat pee! :shock: :lol:

Emm
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
originally posted by HREOW
I'd try to fit a collar with a note volunteering to neuter him first. If he has owners, they should at least know he's welcome, but smelly. :smt001

excellant idea! just need to catch him now :D

originally posted by ROSIE
Unless you could prove beyond doubt that he is a stray I would say definitely NO. You could find yourself in trouble for doing this to somebody else's cat (I totally 100% agree with neutering incidentally). In this day and age of "litigation" you have to be very careful.

I wonder if I could bring a litigation case against the owners for all the cat food and cleaning products he has cost me :lol:

originally posted by CHARLIEBUBS
I know how hard it is to turn them away - but you have to do the right thing for Felix at the end of the day.

Felix and all my other cats are really not bothered by this cat at all. He just comes in and then goes LOL - I don't encourage him to come in he comes in through the cat flap normally in the night

Jac
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Emm
I'd have a look at your cat flap. See if any feline messages are there. Like All welcome, good food and comfy beds:lol:

Kay
06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Don't know what I would do in your position. Neutering is best for the fella but it may not stop him spraying as some neutered males and females(entire and spayed) spray, unfortunately.