PDA

View Full Version : Fleas what do you think?

Rosie
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I have never treated Rosie for fleas in the 10 years she has been with me until I got Alfie as a kitten last July when I gave her a shot as I knew Alfie had them. I have not treated either one of them since and have never been bitten or seen fleas in the house. My question is this:

Do you think cats can build up their own immunity? I hate them having chemicals unless it is absolutely necessary and as I say I have never had a problem with Rosie but that isn't to say she may not have been harbouring the little ******!

Incidentally this goes for my dog too who I have never treated in 11 years.

Anyone else here not treat?

Fran
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I cannot imagine not treating my cats and dogs for fleas :shock: Everything here is treated religiously. I cannot see how you have manged to get away with not fleaing your pets especially with having a dog in the house :?

dinahsmum
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd be really suprised if you haven't had/got fleas with pets in the house. They kinda go together (Trouble is, when talking about them it always sounds a little 'dirty-house' doesn't it? But we all know it doesn't mean that - just a fact of life)
So, I'd tend to agree with your premise that neither your animals nor yourself/ves are sensitive to flea bites. That being the case you may think it's not necessary to take any action. I don't know if flea bites are a risk in transmitting disease between dogs or cats (I do know they can carry both myxymatosis and plague :roll: - eek!)

Incidentally, talking to my vet yesterday (and he was in chat mode - I was in the consulting room over 20 minutes!) he tells me that there is a vet study in Colorado showing that fleas are starting to develop a resistance to Frontline :? Oh good :roll: Maybe it was first used earlier in the US and we have a little more time before the resistance builds up here but it seems inevitable.

Rosie
04-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I should have said that Holly goes to the vet every year to have her booster as does Rosie and they have never mentioned either of them having fleas. My other dogs have always had them - maybe because Holly is a lurcher and has a very fine coat?

John
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Try combing them with a, human nit combe, if they have fleas you should see something

john

Donna
04-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I treat miy cats for fleas all the time as having rabbits it can be lethal for them regarding myxi.

Kim
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't treat my cats monthly as I don't like giving them chemicals uneccessarily. I check them regularly and if they have fleas then they are treated. I de-flea the house every 6 months, we must have been lucky as we rarely have a problem with fleas. I don't vaccinate my cats once they get to 10 either!

I don't de-flea the dogs either, they actually get treated less than the cats! Sighthounds don't seem to attract fleas in my experience.

I did have a cat who was allergic to flea bites, so I treated her every month, for obvious reasons.

charliebubs
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM
My cats are all treated monthly for fleas and I can't imagine not treating. :shock:

Abi has FAD (flea allergic dermatitis) too - so I have to keep on top of that.

I'm not sure how you can not have had fleas at all in 11 years - but perhaps you have just built up an immunity to them?!? :?

charliebubs
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't vaccinate my cats once they get to 10 either!

Why?? :? ...............

Rosie
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I got rid of all my carpets a few years ago and also have a leather soffa but having said that they all sleep on my bed! I have also been told that it is not necessary to vacinate after 10 although I can't remember why. Someone on another forum was told by a vet that unless they have fleas it is pointless treating them.

Wouldn't they build up a resistance if you kept doing it?

dandysmom
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
When my cats went outdoors on their harnesses I had fleas, and used Frontline. But since Leia doesn't go outdoors I don't have a flea problem...and I flea-comb her at least once a week, so am sure. I avoid using chemicals if at all possible.

sammy
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Mine only get de-fleaed around twice a year, i.e. when we notice them on them, and no, the house isn't overrun with fleas! We do of course check them regularly.

Re: Frontline and fleas possibly becoming immune - don't know if this is connected but Frontline never worked on my now departed Mizzie. She was treated with it by the RSPCA before we collected her from the cattery, but within a few days she was crawling with them. We treated her again and it still didn't work! Thankfully Stronghold did....

Kim
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Why?? :? ...............

Because, by that age I believe they have enough immunity in their systems and vaccinations are no longer necessary. When I was speaking to one of the vets at our practice recently, he agreed with me and said he does the same. Many people choose not to vaccinate after initial puppy or kitten vaccs. Rosie & Misty also react badly to their boosters and in fact Misty was so poorly one time that the vets were very concerned. Many vets now no longer consider it necessary to vaccinate annually and people are choosing titre testing as an alternative to find out if their pets have the required level of immunity. Of course vets would lose a lot of income if vaccs were only bi-annual. I know of at least two people on other forums who have lost pets as a result of vaccination. I prefer not to uneccessarily overload my pets with chemicals, etc. Of course it is personal choice. Sorry Charlie, you did ask!!! :-D

Fran
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I only vaccinate until they are around 5 years old and my previous vet totally agreed with my reasons why - over vaccination / enough immunity etc... BUT by the age of 12 plus I would be looking to re vaccinate, as older cats are more prone to illness and tend to be more immunocompromised so it wouldn't be for me vaccinating until 10 and then not :? Going into twlight years I feel that is the age just like young kittens that they need the support of vaccinations and like I say my previous vet agreed with me. My current vet is of the opinion that all cats should be fully vaccinated every year of their lives :?

Kim
04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
It's difficult when vets can't agree isn't it Fran? I can see the sense it what you do. Rosie is only 7, but she won't be having any more boosters as she reacts so badly to them. As my cats are getting older they go outside less and usually stay in our garden, so I think they encounter less risk. Again, I think it is a personal decision and our vets should support us whatever we decide.

Fran
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM
It's difficult when vets can't agree isn't it Fran? I can see the sense it what you do. Rosie is only 7, but she won't be having any more boosters as she reacts so badly to them. As my cats are getting older they go outside less and usually stay in our garden, so I think they encounter less risk. Again, I think it is a personal decision and our vets should support us whatever we decide.

I can see your point of view Kim but being a multicat household here even as the older ones stop going out as much the younger ones still will and could still carry something in. Porsha reacted badly to her kitten injections but my dilema is that she is such a sickly cat anyhow that a bad does of flu would probably finish her off :( so I'm really going to have to put some thought into what I will do when her boosters are due :?

charliebubs
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I wasn't criticising anyone's decisions - I was just interested. :):):)

You have answered my question now - thank you!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Kim
05-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I can see your point of view Kim but being a multicat household here even as the older ones stop going out as much the younger ones still will and could still carry something in. Porsha reacted badly to her kitten injections but my dilema is that she is such a sickly cat anyhow that a bad does of flu would probably finish her off :( so I'm really going to have to put some thought into what I will do when her boosters are due :?

Good luck with whatever you decide Fran. x