PDA

View Full Version : Winter Coat

andrew021
02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Now its getting warmer, Jet seems to be losing her winter coat, there is hair everywhere, more than usual. I cant touch her I end up with a handful of hair.

I dont know whether to brush her, she isint too keen on it and she had some dandruff on her back which the vet told me to leave alone as brushing it would only irritate the skin.

Anyone got any ideas of the best way to groom without irritating her coat or maybe I should just live with the problem of hair in my food, in my drink or be like Molly and get her completely shaved, lol.

Fran
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
It's that time of year I'm afraid Andrew! Everything is moulting here :shock: I often find that when the dogs moult they get a little dandruffy, so I wouldn't worry too much at all. I'd be inclined to gently brush her and you'll help get rid of the winter coat a lot quicker ;)

andrew021
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks, might give it a go but she reacts as if I am attacking her with a fork.

Maybe a few gentle strokes a few times a week to get her used to it.

Fran
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
What about a grooming mit rather than a brush Andrew? I have one and it's a glove that you put on to groom them with, mine love it....

dandysmom
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
And there's also a rubber thingy for grooming; can't think of the name of it. It's about the size of the back of a human hair brush and has little rubber projections all over which trap the excess hair without actually going into the coat, as a brush or comb would. Mine seem to like it, but then they like being brushed too...

Mags
02-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I often put on rubber gloves (like Marigold ones) when I groom Cassie ...... it brings off lots of loose hair without the risk of scratching her.

I got the idea from the Cattery, they go round all the pens daily with the rubber glove treatment ;)

Hreow
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Or even just stroking her firmly with damp hands. I pick up a lot more hair off Rover when I do that, than with the comb, and it doesn't remove any of the undercoat (so the dandruff should be left alone as well).

dandysmom
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Andrew, here's a link to and a pic of the the rubber grooming thingy I was trying to describe...http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=3058

andrew021
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for that, took a look, it dosent seem as if it would irritate the coat. Might see if I can get a cat mit.

Will try a few pet shops in the next few days to see what I can get.

andrew021
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I took a look at some internet pet shops. The was one which charges P&P to UK Mainland as £3.65 but to Northern Ireland as £11.65, an extra £8.00 to deliver across the Irish Sea !!

Fran
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Have you not got a local pet shop Andrew??

Jac
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Have you got a pound shop Andrew? They sell them there. Normally a whole 99p worth:lol: . Much cheeper than pet shops and the same thing without the brand name.

andrew021
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah, will take a look in the pound shops and pet shops, probably cheaper than looking online. Thanks

Donna
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a grooming mit but my two are scared of it!!!! Got a little brush that is similar to the rubber side of the mit with little peaks in it and Chloe seems to like that better!