PDA

View Full Version : Hercule's has a girlfriend

Jac
30-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Meet Athena she's the furthest away
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/boxerlass/athena.jpg

Fran
30-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Awwww it's lovely to see the two of them together Jac :cool: How are they getting along?

Jac
30-03-2007, 03:51 PM
There doing great. She was in the table for about 30 mins hideing then started to stroll about. She's been eating, always a good sign. I'm sure they will both be fine.

Fran
30-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Great news Jac :D What are they eating in there? Herbi, my tort is a very fussy eater :?

Mags
30-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Aww they look great together Jac!

Pssst ..... how do you tell a male from a female tortoise?? :?

Erin
30-03-2007, 03:55 PM
awwwww jac they are so cute!

Jac
30-03-2007, 03:57 PM
It's a chinese lettuce. Something like fa choi. I'll get the propper name for you. He also likes banana, apple, cuttle fish, dandilions, and fauna cobs.
What does Herbi eat? Oh yeh and normal lettuce but too much isnt good.

Jac
30-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Mags they have a different shaped rear.

Fran
30-03-2007, 04:07 PM
He adores dandelions but of course they are seasonal but he won't eat any other weeds at all like they are supposed to :? He has occasional tomato and strawberries but not too often as too much isn't good for them. He loves lettuce and I know that too much isn't great for them but during the winter this is the majority of his diet, I give him various different varieties and he finds iceberg boring :roll: he won't eat apple, he has occasional melon and has been known to enjoy pizza :? He also eats his cuttlefish. I might try and hibernate him next winter, which is a big worry for me :shock:

If he is hungry and not wanting what you have fed him, he stomps around head butting the side of the viv with his shell :roll:

Jac
30-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeh I had one like that. Have you tryed baby sweet corn? pear, spinich? probably. Have you got the complete freeze dried fauna? It's quite expencive but good for the winter. Just add water. If not I could send you some to try.

Fran
30-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeh I had one like that. Have you tryed baby sweet corn? pear, spinich? probably. Have you got the complete freeze dried fauna? It's quite expencive but good for the winter. Just add water. If not I could send you some to try.

I haven't tried baby sweetcorn but I'll give it a go. Yes he will eat spinach and pear if he is in the mood :roll: I haven't heard of the dried fauna but I'll get some in and try him. Our local pet shop have a good reptile section so they should have it. Thanks Jac!

Jac
30-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Fran its great the full name is Tetrafauna Tortoise. You soak a couple of bits in some water to make it soft. It has all the trace elements and minerals they need, it also makes them want to eat. I also put Calcimize conditioner in the water. It takes out the chlorine and chloramine, nutralizes heavy metals and replenishes calcium levels (you just know I was reading that!) which also helps them. If you have any problems getting either I'll gladly send some to you.

alexgirl73
30-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't they look so sweet together! D'ya think one would fit in my handbag????

Jac
30-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Of course Alex, Just as long as Teddy fits in mine.:roll:

alexgirl73
30-03-2007, 05:10 PM
hmm, perhaps no tortoise then!!

Jac
30-03-2007, 05:11 PM
LOL. right I'm away. Honest, this time. Been saying that for over an hour!

Fran
30-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Fran its great the full name is Tetrafauna Tortoise. You soak a couple of bits in some water to make it soft. It has all the trace elements and minerals they need, it also makes them want to eat. I also put Calcimize conditioner in the water. It takes out the chlorine and chloramine, nutralizes heavy metals and replenishes calcium levels (you just know I was reading that!) which also helps them. If you have any problems getting either I'll gladly send some to you.

Thanks Jac, I'll let you know how I get on!

Hreow
30-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Mags they have a different shaped rear.

I thought the plastron was a slightly different shape as well? Concave for the male and convex for the female. Something to do with the balance not being too great when both surfaces are convex, so a slight dint in the male's helps when mating? ^^ May be very specific to some brand of turtle/tortoise, of course. I can possibly tell one end of a tortoise from the other, that's it... :grin:

Jac
31-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I thought the plastron was a slightly different shape as well? Concave for the male and convex for the female. Something to do with the balance not being too great when both surfaces are convex, so a slight dint in the male's helps when mating? ^^ May be very specific to some brand of turtle/tortoise, of course. I can possibly tell one end of a tortoise from the other, that's it... :grin:

Yes that's right but to be honest if I had said that do you think anyone that didn't know tortoises would have a clue what I was on about:lol: .

Hreow
31-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I bow to your greater wisdom. In both cases. ^^