PDA

View Full Version : M&S Pet Insurance

charliebubs
29-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm with M&S for all my cats (apart from Lily who has a special breeding policy with PetPlan) and have been really happy with them. I particularly chose them in the first place as they offered the option to have no excess by paying a slightly higher premium. This has been brilliant for me and the vets costs incurred of late with Abi and Bernard.

However.....................

I had a letter from them this morning to say that they are no longer offering no excess and that upon renewal of the policies any cat under 9 years old will have a £50 excess. (Cats older than 9 have a £50 excess plus 15% of the total vets costs too).

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo not happy about this. :evil: :cry: :(

dinahsmum
29-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical insurance - lend you an umbrella till it starts raining ..... :roll:

Jac
29-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Typical. There probably finding it expencive and we all know how insurance companys like to make loads of money and not pay out!!!!!!

I would be unhappy about that too.

Fran
29-03-2007, 02:31 PM
All the pets I have insured are insured with Petplan. I know there are others that are cheaper/no excess incentives etc but I have never had any problems with Petplan and have always been very happy.

charliebubs
29-03-2007, 03:43 PM
I've never had a problem with PetPlan either, Fran, but they put their prices up last year and so I decided to shop around. M&S have been good and paid out quickly etc, but are now withdrawing their incentive of no excess. :(

I may go back to PetPlan now, or try Tesco. ;)

Kay
29-03-2007, 04:11 PM
That sounds about right, Charlie. All my babies go with Petplan insurance and there has never been a problem with them.

Kim
29-03-2007, 04:38 PM
All mine were with Petplan and I had no problems with them, but theyir prices went up sky high. Now all mine are insured with M & S, no doubt I will be getting a letter too, you are right not to be happy.

After doing a search I have still found M & S to be the best valaue for money. I think most of the insurance companies premiums have risen.

Charlie, be careful about Tesco as I think their policy only covers conditions for 12 months rather than the life of the policy. Absolutely no good if your pet develops something like epilepy.

charliebubs
29-03-2007, 05:02 PM
All mine were with Petplan and I had no problems with them, but theyir prices went up sky high. Now all mine are insured with M & S, no doubt I will be getting a letter too, you are right not to be happy.

After doing a search I have still found M & S to be the best valaue for money. I think most of the insurance companies premiums have risen.

Charlie, be careful about Tesco as I think their policy only covers conditions for 12 months rather than the life of the policy. Absolutely no good if your pet develops something like epilepy.

I'm sure you'll get the letter too Kim when you come up for renewal :(

Tesco have two options, one is for 12 months and the other is for life.

I'm not sure what to do, but I kind of feel that I want to leave M&S now out of principle!!! lol

Kim
30-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I can understand how you feel!

That's good that Tesco do a life cover now. Probably get clubcard points too!

catmadjax
30-03-2007, 11:41 PM
THIS IS NOT GOOD, I am with M&S too! have been for 3 years, my one cat is 17 and i have had alot of vets fees, I find them extremley slow in paying up! The other cat has no excess and ive not had a letter to say otherwise???? I pay very high premiums for my older cat, about £11 per month and £6.50 for the other 5 year old. I think i might ring them about this.

charliebubs
31-03-2007, 05:10 PM
THIS IS NOT GOOD, I am with M&S too! have been for 3 years, my one cat is 17 and i have had alot of vets fees, I find them extremley slow in paying up! The other cat has no excess and ive not had a letter to say otherwise???? I pay very high premiums for my older cat, about £11 per month and £6.50 for the other 5 year old. I think i might ring them about this.

Let me know what they say if you do call them Jax.

They can't change the policy terms mid-way through your policy, so you probably won't get a letter about it until your renewal comes up :?

Good luck!!!

catmadjax
01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I sure will let you know what happends, I am ringing them tomorrow. And I will check out my policy details tonight.

charliebubs
13-04-2007, 02:04 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

A BIG apology to M&S insurance from me.

I had to ring them today to ask for a claim form for Abi and whilst I was on the phone I asked them about why they have changed their no-excess policy. The guy said that they haven't. :? :shock:

Even though the covering letter and policy document now says £50 excess - there is one line right at the bottom of the schedule that says "the vetinary fees excess is reduced to NIL" :oops:

He said that they have had to change the way that it's worded by law - but they haven't taken away the no-excess.

Yippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Mags
13-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Full marks to M & S Insurance!!:D

Pleased that it's turned out well for you Charlie!:D

charliebubs
30-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Going back to this topic.................M&S have now changed their policy and they no longer give "no excess".

I had the renewal through for one of the cats at the weekend and it has an excess on it of £50.00. I called them to ask if this was right or not (bearing in mind what they told me in April) and the lady said that they have now abolished the nil excess idea, as they were getting so many claims for low amounts. :(

They can't change your policy terms mid-way through, but as soon as they are coming up for renewal they are putting an excess on them.

I told her that I'm going to shop around now!! ;)

Amber
30-07-2007, 02:17 PM
One of our nurses is with M&S and she got a letter a few weeks back - needless to say she's not impressed either!

All of mine are insured with Pet Protect, and while they may be slightly more expensive, I can't fault them! Only thing is my excess is quite high, at £60 for Amber, and £70 for Max.

charliebubs
31-07-2007, 12:08 PM
After doing some research I have decided to insure with AXA now. They actually underwrite the M&S policies, so it's exactly the same policy for a fraction of the price. It's £7 per month instead of the £11.69 that M&S has gone up to. There is a £50 excess.

I wanted to stick with a policy that covers the extras that M&S do..............complementary therapies, behavioural treatment and special diets................just in case!!! :)