PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Questions, need opinions

cutelittlecindy
27-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm debating on getting a kitten. I had some general questions. I know there are a few disadvantages, but is it worth it?

What kind of kitty litter is the best?
Food?

Better indoor?

What age can they be spayed?

Which color should I get?

What age of kitten is the best to get?

charliebubs
27-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Hello and welcome to Catsey!!

I think owning a cat is wonderful and I'm sure it will bring you lots of joy.

As for the best food and litter, I cannot say as I live in the UK and we have different brands over here. I'm sure one of our US members will be able to advise though. :)

Kittens can normally go to new homes at about 8 weeks old (but 13 weeks old if you buy a pedigree, as they have their vaccinations first). They can be spayed at about 6 months old, although I understand that some vets will do it earlier.

I would say that an indoor life is better, as it's safer for the cat. If you get a young kitten then they won't have any experience of going outside and therefore won't miss it.

As for colour...............that's up to you!!!!

Good luck in finding a cat for you. ;)

Hreow
27-03-2007, 12:37 PM
You're asking on a cat-forum if it is worth getting a kitten? :grin: Depends on your circumstances.

There are a few threads on the "best" litter (do a search on "worlds best" here on Catsey), but you should start with the litter that your prospective kitten is used to. After that you can gradually change to something else.
Same goes for food. Start with whatever the breeder gave the kitten. If necessary (and when moving on to adult food) gradually shift to the new food. Pick a middle-range or better food, the cheap stuff can be poor.
You want a gradual shift so the kitten doesn't decide to toilet somewhere else because it doesn't recognise the loo, and foodwise to make sure he/she doesn't get an upset stomach from the change. Some kittens and cats are sensitive.

Indoors or not depends on you and the cat. Most cats don't miss outdoors if they've never been there. Most cats pine for it if they have been outdoor cats. If you plan on keeping your cat indoors, make sure it has enough toys to play with and plenty of things to do. Boredom isn't a good thing.

Males are generally castrated at six months, females spayed at 9-12 months. They can be neutered earlier, speak to your vet.

Pick the best kitten for the job. Colour isn't important.

You won't get a pedigree kitten from a responsible breeder at earlier than 12 1/2 weeks. Non-pedigree - let them stay with mum for at least eight weeks. Give cat-mum and siblings a fair shot at teaching your cat manners so you won't have to! :-)

Good luck.

Fran
27-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Hello and welcome :D You have been given some good advice already. I do hope you have fun choosing your new kitten. Please let us know how you get on...

Sweet
27-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey x

dandysmom
27-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi, and welcome to Catsey! Can't add anything to the above good advice, they've pretty much covered the basics thoroughly. I might add, don't buy scented litter...cats hate it!!!

cutelittlecindy
27-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey Everyone. Well I called a bunch of places again today. Still no kittys. I figured I'd at least find one young one. I called the humane society, the animal shelter, all of them within a 60 miles. Geeee. Theres a lady who is giving 2 kittens about an hour away from me that I talked to through a classifieds. here are the two she is giving away. she says the father was a orange tiger and the mother is blue point Siamese. They are both males! Which to choose. lol:)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cutelittlecindy8/detail?.dir=/79e9re2&.dnm=5d74re2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cutelittlecindy8/detail?.dir=/79e9re2&.dnm=94a0re2.jpg&.src=ph

i'm still debating though. i was looking for a black one or an orange one, but it dosent really matter too much.

Fran
27-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh my word, they are so adorable!!! You must take both! :-D

cutelittlecindy
27-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I know! LOL! I asked the landlord she said its 20 extra to have a cat, so i'm debating on if she'd let me have 2 for 20 or not. lol

Elaine
27-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Hiya and welcome. Thought I'd add my tuppence worth.
If it is a kitten you are looking for, its a good idea to get two if you can as they will entertain each other as well as their human companions. Personally I stay away from classified ads as they tend to have alot of people advertising kittens for a quick buck and imo add to the problems of rescue and rehoming.
Good luck whatever you decide, they are very cute those wee kitties.

cutelittlecindy
27-03-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah i know about that. but the lady is giving them away at least....

dandysmom
27-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Didn't you ask what color the kittens were? Frequently with kittens with one parent Siamese, some of the kittens will be black.....

cutelittlecindy
28-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Well, the lady emailed me and asked which one i want, cuz someone else wants the other... whoa! She s supposed to send me one more picture of them! to help me decide

Hreow
28-03-2007, 01:54 AM
If it is only an hour away, I'd go see them. No way to choose from only photos and you can have a look at the conditions they have grown up under. Maybe meet mum-cat as well.

dandysmom
28-03-2007, 02:13 AM
I agree. You can see that they don't have runny eyes or dirty bottoms, and that they're lively and playful, and that the mum cat is in good condition, as are the kittens quarters. I'd really hesitate to get a kitten based solely on a photograph; what if you get him/her home and have bonded with the kitten and it's sickly? It may be a free kitten, but then you'll have vet bills as well as the usual shots, checkup, etc.

Hreow
28-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Not to mention the heartache. Bad enough with an older cat that has had a full, happy life. Been there.

Animagus
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I would definately go see the kitten if you cant then get someone you trust to have a look... But you have been given good advice and I hope that the one who is meant for you will be with you soon xxx

PS Welcome to catsey xx