PDA

View Full Version : First time clipping his claws!

Sunnybuns
27-03-2007, 06:33 AM
I just wanted to announce that today was my first time clipping Sunny's front paws! I snuck behind him while he was chowing down his food and as he was tugging away I was quickly getting to his front nails and clipping them! I am happy he let me do it because I was a little scared he wasn't going to. He was purring the whole time but stopped when I tried to clip his feet nails. So, I clipped only his front nails which really needed to be clipped. Do the nails on the back paws grow slower than the front? Because his back paws are still short- unless he chews on them?

dinahsmum
27-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Their back claws don't get sharp do they, so are probably best left.
Does Sunny use his scratch post - that normally keeps their front claws in good shape?
Well done on *mission accomplished* - the more you do it the less bothered he is likely to be about it.

Fran
27-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't bother clipping claws except for the cats I take to shows and then I only clip the front claws. Luckily the ones I show are great at having their claws clipped. Glad you managed to survive unscathed :lol:

Mags
27-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Well done on managing to clip Sunny's claws ......... I have to ask the vet to clip Cassie's!! :lol:

Kay
29-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Well done on your first time clipping. I tend to clip the front a lot more often than the back as they don't seem to need it as much.

Jac
29-03-2007, 04:10 PM
That's not something I would like to do:shock: Knowing my luck I'd probably get shreded:-D

dandysmom
29-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I've found that when you start it when they're kittens, they take it for granted as one of those things that happen. Patches was an adult when I rehomed her and had obviously never had her claws clipped...screamed bloody murder, threshed and struggled and said I was trying to amputate her toes without anaesthetic!! They mostly went unclipped....:roll:...I've never done hind claws.

Animagus
01-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I haven't clipped any of mine but they use their scratch post alot which keeps them nice and neat

Hreow
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
The scratch-post keeps them tidy and *sharp*. They use it to polish off the old "husk" leaving the next layer nice and sharp.
I clip the very tip off Rover's claws so that he doesn't draw (too much) blood when he misjudges a bit of human for one of his toys. Doesn't happen often but it does hurt. He can still scale up tree-trunks with the best of them.