PDA

View Full Version : Any Help on cat fight injuries?

sassiecath
20-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Inky got into a squabble with a stray cat out here. One foot with a small puncture wound, 2 toenails ripped, one foot very swolen & extreamly tender.
My hubbie & I are soaking all injuries in a warm benedyne solution. We also used peroxide to bubble out germs from the pucture wound.

My concern is what to do for the swollen paw. I tried to stablize the food but he managed to get the splint off. I could try again, but it is so painful for him.

I would take him to the vet but Friday my hubby fell at work & broke his hip, so our income is shakey right now.
So any input will be appreciated for Inky's sake.
Thanks, All!!!!
Sassiecath

Fran
20-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Blimey that must have been some cat fight for him to sustain such terrible injuries :shock: I'm not sure I'd use peroxide :? Could you try confining him in a crate for a while to encourage him to rest that paw? A vet visit may be necessary though because apart from anything else cat bites notoriously turn nasty and he may need a course of Antibiotics. Good luck and do let us know how he gets on.

dinahsmum
20-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Agree with Fran about keeping a close eye for infection.
You could consider using arnica for the bruising? The cream is great for human bumps but you might have to look at pilules or suspension for cats - I'm sure they'd lick gooey stuff.

Fran
20-03-2007, 10:13 AM
You could consider using arnica for the bruising? The cream is great for human bumps but you might have to look at pilules or suspension for cats - I'm sure they'd lick gooey stuff.

Arnica is available in drop form that you can put on the nose/mucous membranes

borderdawn
20-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree with Fran, anti-biotics may well be necessary and a crate confinement is an excellent idea to give that paw chance to begin to heal.
Dawn.

sassiecath
20-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Thank you all for your responce to my post. I really appreciate it.

I am keeping a close eye on him. He does not WANT to do anymore walking then he absolutly has to so I don't have him confined.

I used the peroxide on the one foot only because it was a puncture wound & I felt the bubbling would clean it better. It has sealed & seems to be fine.

The vet showed me how to soak his claws in the Benodine for the wounded toenails so I know that is okay. He is getting Tremidol for the pain since I got that recently from the vet for my other cat. He only get's that once a day, just to ease the pain so if he NEEDS to go to the litter box, he can do his business.

I have some antibiotics on hand but don't want to put him on that unless I really have to. I think I will take him into the vet just in case. That way, if they find something I missed, he will get the help he deserves, poor baby....

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Sassiecath...:cat1

yola
20-03-2007, 11:39 PM
I would just add here; tread with caution and watch Inky very carefully. My Mum's previous cat was involved in a fight with another cat/dog/fox - we're not sure. Anyway he sustained an undetected puncture wound (the vet missed it), and ended up with setpaceamia with sadly, carried him off far too quickly. :cry:

A strong dose of anti-biotics might be wise just as a precaution. Oh, and I do hope your husband mends soon - that fall sounds very nasty indeed :(

sassiecath
21-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Will do, Thanks for your input & well wishes for my hubby. I don't know what I'd do without him!
sassiecath...;)