PDA

View Full Version : US petfood recall...Leia and Onyx

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 07:35 PM
For those who didn't read yesterday's thread about this, two of the brands, Iams and Priority, that they eat were among those recalled. I was worried sick, of course, but so far everything seems to be OK with them both. Did a lot of research on line last night, and the symptoms are: lassitude, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, excessive urination and excessive water intake. None of which they have! Especially lack of appetite: Leia was just pestering me for a snack way earlier than the time for her afternoon snack, and Onyx practically inhaled her lunch! It may be too early to relax...nothing was said about when symptoms appear.... but have my fingers crossed that they'll continue well. Good vibes would be appreciated!!!

Moli
19-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Good vibes on the way DM, hope they are both ok....

Sweet
19-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Very worrying time for you, sending you tons and tons of good vibes amongst a ((((((hug)))))) or two x

Kay
19-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Hope everything continues to be alright with you. ((((hugs)))) to you all.

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 07:57 PM
The batches that were recalled were made between December and March...they've been eating it all along, so I would think that if they were going to be ill from it, some signs would have appeared by now...:shock: ....it's the beef in gravy, turkey in gravy and chicken in gravy that they like and have eaten....

Mags
19-03-2007, 08:05 PM
It must be a worrying time for you Eileen, I would have thought you'd have noticed some symptoms by now if anything was wrong.

All the same, buckets loads of good vibes are on their way to Leia and Onyx.........
((((hugs))))

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your concern, all! It's very worrying; you think you're feeding them good quality food that they like, and then something like this happens...:cry: several of the articles mentioned that more dogs than cats experienced kidney failure...not being at all familiar with dogs, don't know if they're more susceptible to renal failure, or if it's a difference in the formulas of the foods....none of this was mentioned in anything I could find on line.....:shock:

Elaine
19-03-2007, 09:04 PM
OMG what a worry for you Eileen. Why are the foods being recalled? I mean what exactly is the problem with them that they are causing renal failure in cats and dogs?

Loads of good vibes sent your way for both Onyx and Leia. xxx

Fran
19-03-2007, 09:47 PM
What a worry for you Eileen :( Is there a helpline that you can phone? There must be a lot of very worried owners right now. Loads and loads of very good vibes being sent across the pond for Leia and Onyx x

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 09:54 PM
They have been vague, very vague as to exactly what the problem is, but did mention that they had been using a new supplier of wheat gluten. I don't know anything about wheat gluten but it's listed as an ingredient on every tin and pouch of food I have...:shock:

Kazz
19-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Eileen why not give your vet and ring and ask if he/she knows whats the reason for the recall and what sort of symptoms and timeline you should be looking at.

Might put your mind at rest sure the vet will get other calls the food you mention are obviously well used names.

I am sure your two will be fine. You do the best for your girls Karen

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Been trying off and on all afternoon, Kazz, the line is continuously busy...everyone else trying to get through, no doubt. The reason is that some animals have died of renal failure. The symptoms have been clearly listed, thank God mine show no signs, and have been eating these brands all along...as to timeline, that's one of the things I'm concerned about. If I still can't get thru, will e-mail them, although they're a bit slow at answering e-mails. So far, both Leia and Onyx are fine, but you can't help but worry.....:cry: Thanks, all, for your comments and sympathy!

yola
19-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Eileen - I will be hoping that any adverse reactions will have completely by-passed Leia and Onyx.

There must be SO many worried owners out there right now . . . :(

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Yola, it's been featured in all the newspapers and all of our TV channels, not just one day but several days running! People are very upset, naturally. Both the girls seem fine, and as I've said before, have been eating these brands all along, so maybe mine weren't contaminated with whatever caused it..:shock:

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 11:40 PM
After I posted this went to the kitchen to start dinner, and who should appear on the 6pm news on TV but a vet from Friendship Animal Hospital, where we go! She discussed everything but the timeline, but from the way she spoke it seemed as if no symptoms have appeared, all you had to do was watch them closely...which I've been doing, of course ! Feel much better!

alexgirl73
19-03-2007, 11:42 PM
So glad to hear that both girls seem to be fine, and I'm sure that will continue to be the case! ((hugs)) for you as I'm sure you have been very worried xx

dandysmom
19-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I've indeed been worried, Alex, but all the kind comments here have made me feel a lot better,,,,thanks from me, Leia and Onyx!

Kobster
20-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Alot of the brands that were recalled were done as a precaution, not because they had actually caused any sickness. So you can probably breathe a bit easier. I'm just not feeding any canned food until this is all cleared up

dandysmom
20-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Onyx, my homeless stray, bless her will eat anything! Leia really prefers dry food, but I'm convinced that's why she had a bout of cystitis a month or so back, so prefer that she eats mostly moist, or dry moistened with gravy.....and she's picky! Very picky! :roll:

dinahsmum
20-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm glad you feel able to exhale again now Eileen. What a worry. We do put a lot of trust in these manufacturers don't we? *goes off muttering about really must get to work on raw feeding. Just need a bone grinder!*

Jac
20-03-2007, 11:40 AM
What a worrying time for you. I hope both your babies continue to be fine. Heaps of good vibes from me too. ((((((((((()))))))) Hugs. Jac xx