PDA

View Full Version : will he have to be an outdoor cat?

jenny
18-03-2007, 06:14 PM
As you know, keanu is now 16 weeks old.
he is constantly whining to go outside, really howling. I do take him out on his harness, but only a few times a week. unfortunetely we dont have a garden to secure so he is mostly indoors.
I had originally planned for him to be an indoor cat, mainly so that he didnt get stolen, run over or get into a bad cat fight. We;ve lost so many cats to the road and there does seem to be alot of cat fights in our area as there is so many.
But if this is what he is like now, i cant imagine what he will be like when he is older . I really dont want to let him out, but is it inevitable?

Kay
18-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Some cats are more than happy to spend their time indoors like my 9 Persians but Bengals are a lot more wild in their instincts and therefore he will probably crave the outdoors. The worry is that he will get stolen as Bengals are becoming more and more popular. Have you no where at all that you could put up a secure cat pen as this would be the ideal solution?

Fran
18-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I agree with Kay, if he were mine I would not let him out unattended. A secure run outside would be ideal?

borderdawn
18-03-2007, 06:42 PM
This is one reason why I didnt want a Bengal, every breeder I approached said they are outdoor Ctas and do not like confinement. I agree with Fran about the pen, and certainly wouldnt leave him outside unattended.
Dawn.

Kazz
18-03-2007, 06:45 PM
What does his breeder suggest Jen? are her/his cats outside cats. Did they not mention this trait of the "outdoors life" to you?

I know someone whose Persians live indoors never venturing out but I believe the breed is that way inclined I am not certain though.

jenny
18-03-2007, 06:53 PM
the breeders cats are indoor but she takes them out on a harness.

i knew he would pine to go out, but hoped that the harness would be enough.
i dont have anywhere to set up an outdoor area.

i think i will just have to take him out more often on the harness and really get him used to going out more on it. im just lazy,lol.

Kay
18-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Persian's are definitely that way inclined, Karen. They are the best breed by far for indoor life. A good breeder should have questioned Jen about the conditions he was to be kept in as they definitely don't like too much confinement and would need a fairly large cat pen.

Kazz
18-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Maybe it would be better if you stopped taking him out on the harness - its like maybe giving him a taste for the outdoors, but not letting him have it whole. Otherwise take him out more, but it soundslikeit may not be enough interaction for him.
Sorry no help really I have never experienced this my cats have always been indoor/outdoor cats.
Karen

Kazz
18-03-2007, 06:56 PM
What does Az do with Cheetah is she an indoor cat?

Mags
18-03-2007, 07:51 PM
What does Az do with Cheetah is she an indoor cat?
Az's Bengal is an indoor cat....

Kazz
18-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Az's Bengal is an indoor cat....

Ta Mags thought she was.

Sweet
18-03-2007, 08:03 PM
I hope you get things sorted soon and Keanu is happy in what ever you decide. x

EmmaG
18-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Has he been neutered??? if he hasn't then perhaps getting him "done" will help a bit.

dandysmom
18-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I definitely would not let him out! RTA's cat fights, free-roaming dog packs, thieves...no way! Think it's a good point about neutering helping when he's old enough for the op. Mine (moggies, Siamese, Aby and Pura over the years) were all indoors and walked on harnesses. Maybe Az will have some tips if he reads this!

jenny
18-03-2007, 10:03 PM
well hes not done yet, but the vet has recommended getting him done at 5 months. so in a months time. hopefully that will help alot.

i think i just need to do more with him as well, altho im worried takin him out on harness is winding him up about outdoors!

Kazz
18-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Jenny you can only do the best you can do - don;t worry so much and enjoy him :)

charliebubs
18-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Maybe you could also try and make the indoors more appealing to him? Does he have a cat climbing/scratching thing and maybe also some cat grass would help. I also have a window-sill bed/ledge thing in one of my upstairs windows where they can lay and look out into the garden and watch the birds etc.

I don't really know what else to suggest, but perhaps neutering will help too.

Good luck!! :)

Kobster
18-03-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't have a bengal, but I have a cat that loves to be outside, but hes indoor only. I used to take him out on a leash,but found that only made him more anxious and demanding about going outside. I quit taking him and he seemed to relax about it.

jenny
19-03-2007, 11:34 AM
yeh he has a huge cat tree, a huge cat tunnel and plenty of access to windowsils where he can watch the world go by. He also seems to enjoy sitting and watching my fish and chasing them across the glass,lol.

i think i will stop taking him out for a bit and see if that helps. he seems to be worse straight after taking him out and then a couple of days after.

dinahsmum
19-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Think that might be the best thing Jenny.
Did you get anywhere with the 'aerial runway' idea?