PDA

View Full Version : Goats-Need advice

Kobster
17-03-2007, 05:35 AM
One of our goats, Dori, kidded on Tuesday. She had three but one was very small and died shortly after birth. The other have looked strong and well, and so has mom. All eating and acting like normal goats. Well, this morning I found Dori dead in her pen. I have no idea what happened I'm so crushed. I have two orphaned goat kids to feed now. They've had cows milk today as I can't seem to find anyone with a goat in milk right now. Hopefully I will have more luck tomorrow. They both have bad diarrhea (probably from the milk) and are very vocal, missing mom. Anyone with any advice on feeding and care of orphaned goats (or sheep, I'm sure would be similar) please advise! Thanks.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/muttzrule/kids1.jpg

Fran
17-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Gosh you must be devasted :( I have no knowlege at all of raising goats but I do know over here you can buy goats milk in the supermarkets and also frozen goats milk at feed merchants. If they have bad diarrhoea right now I might be inclined to just feed glucose water until their tummies settle. I hope there is someone on here that can offer you advice. Could you give the local big animal vet a ring? He may know of a goat in the area that has just had babies? Good luck and please let us know how you and the little ones get on. They are so very cute x

smudgley
17-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh that's really sad.
I don't have any advice to offer as i've never had a goat, but we did think about getting a couple last year. But decided not to as we have enough to look after without adding more.:roll:
They are beautiful. :)
So sad about their mommy though :cry:

Mags
17-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh how very sad.:(

I'm afraid I don't know anything about goats but I wish you all the best in finding help for these two little ones ....... they are gorgeous..

alexgirl73
17-03-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/artificialfeeding.html

I don't know it this will be much help or not, but may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Kobster
18-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks everyone. The vet was out this afternoon. He gave the kids some fluids, gave me a powedered remidy for the scours and told me about a place about 20 minutes away where I can buy fresh goats millk. So the babies are looking much better this evening with full tummies. I've decided to name them Sol (sun) and Luna (moon).

My other doe Coral is due to kid any day now. I'll have the vet out right after this time just to make sure everything is okay.

Mags
18-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Pleased to hear you managed to find help with the baby goats Kobster, I hope they go from strength to strength now..... lovely names you've chosen for them!

Good luck with Coral, I hope everything goes well with her ....... please let us know when she has her babies;)

Fran
18-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Pleased that the babies are thriving. I love their names :cool: Good luck with Coral, do let us knowhow it goes x

smudgley
19-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Glad to hear they are ok, loving their names. What breed are they?

Kobster
20-03-2007, 03:13 AM
What breed are they?

They are a mix. Dad was an African Bohr(sp) goat. Dori was a mix of several varieties of Dairy Goat. They are part of a project to see if we can produce Larger multipurpose goats (meat and dairy).

I work for an organization called "Future Without Poverty" that works in poverty stricken areas to create a more sustainable living, for example, sustainable agriculture, and ranching methods. Long story short, we are trying to feed more people with one goat.

alexgirl73
20-03-2007, 09:23 AM
They aer lovely names. Hope you manage to succeed with your project!