PDA

View Full Version : Tangos test results are back

Samz5
16-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Tangos latest test results have at last given us a diagnosis, he has 'feline triad disease' which means he has Pancreatitis (inflamation of the pancreas), IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and Liver disease all at once.

Apparently it is quite common in older cats.
Unfortunatly its not one of those things that can be cured with a few pills, its probably never going to get completly better, although I have read of a few cases where cats have recovered with the right diet and care so We will of course be trying everything!
Its good to actually have a diagnosis, even though its not really a good one, I knew it wasn't going to be good already, hes been sick for months.... but now we can try some new treatments.

Hes been taken off the antibiotics for now, we're on day 3 of no antibiotics and hes fine, if he gets sick he'll go straight back on them, hes supposed to eat just 'light' cat food and chicken for a while, and were going to try some kind of digestive enzyme powder of his food that is supposed to start digesting the food for him. In the future he may have steriods too, but were going to cross bridges as we come to them rather than worry about it all at the same time!

Fran
16-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm pleased that you have a diagnosis at last albeit not what you really wanted to hear. It sounds like the condition can often be managed so I hope that this is the case for Tango. Do let us know how he gets on x

charliebubs
16-03-2007, 01:46 PM
It must be reassuring to have a diagnosis at last, even though it's not great news.

Now you know what you're dealing with you can give him the best possible care.

I hope he continues to be okay without the antibiotics. Keep us posted.

Hugs to you both (((( ))))
:)

alexgirl73
16-03-2007, 02:05 PM
At least you know what it is now, the frustrating part is not having a clue as to what is going on! Glad to hear that he's doing ok so far, long may it continue. Have you looked into feeding him a raw diet, it is something I have been looking into with Teddie and a lot o things written about it have been from people who have cats with similar problems to Tango, and they say that after a short time on raw feeding the difference in their cats is astonishing. The only thing putting me off it tbh, is the sourcing of some of the ingredients you need.

Mags
16-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Pleased to hear you have a diagnosis for Tango ......... I do hope he continues to improve.....

dinahsmum
16-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I hope you'll find the correct treatment for him and he enjoys some more quality time with you,

Samz5
16-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your replies, I hadn't thought about a raw diet, will have to look into it, I have a lot of reading up to do about a lot of things now!
Lets just hope theres something we can do to make him feel better.

Animagus
16-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Now you know what you are dealing with you will be able to relax a bit... hope Tango improves quickly....

dandysmom
16-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Not the best news, but at least with the diagnosis you know what steps to take to help him...(((hugs)))

Jac
16-03-2007, 04:39 PM
At least you know what you are dealing with, and you can do exactly that.
Glad Tango is improveing. (((()))) hugs to you both.
Onwards and upwards.

Elaine
17-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Zentonil 100mg
In small animal practice we are often aware that our patients may have a problem with their liver but sometimes the only way to pinpoint the cause is to carry out numerous tests and surgical procedures. Often there may be reasons why we or the owners may be reluctant to jump in with extensive investigation so we turn to nutritional or medical support. Glutathione is a major antioxidant produced by the liver and its main function is to reduce oxidative injury to liver cells. Glutathione production is decreased in liver disease. S-Adenosylmethione (SAMe) is a molecule which is essential for the production of glutathione. Research has found that SAMe supplementation results in maintained liver glutathione which is beneficial in preserving functional liver tissue. Zentonil contains a pure stabilised salt of SAMe in tablet form. For optimal effectiveness, the manufacturers advise giving the tablet on an empty stomach and at least one hour before or two hours after feeding. Tablet must not be crushed. One tablet per day for 5kg cat.
1x30 tablets

Elaine
17-03-2007, 10:44 AM
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Liver/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/felinepancreatitis/

Here are a few support groups that may be able to offer you some advice on Tangos condition.
I wish both you and Tango all the very best xxx

Elaine
17-03-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/pancreatitis_test.html

Here is another link which may interest you.

Kay
17-03-2007, 01:12 PM
So glad you have a diagnosis even if it isn't the best one in the world. At least now you have a starting point and hopefully things can improve. Good luck.