PDA

View Full Version : Is character related to colour?

Kazz
15-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Based on a couple of posts and replies in Fran's thread about Bliss - I just wondered is a cats character related to it's colour?

Karen

borderdawn
15-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I think so, at least in some part. Ginger cats are very naughty, I have had 3 now and all are very naughty, lovely by naughty. Fran says torties are too, I have never had a tortie, so cant comment on them.
Dawn.

dandysmom
15-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I replied in the other thread: to re-cap, my only ginger was a very sweet natured gentle cat, and my brindled tortie was also...neither was the least bit naughty; both my Aby and Pura boys were ! Quite naughty!

jenny
16-03-2007, 10:20 AM
i guess it can be generalised somewhat.

my parents have 6 black cats, and 4 of them are very laid back and cuddly. the other 2 we mistreated in their previous home, so im not sure their personality counts!

they have a big ginger boy, who is very cuddly but deffo naughty.

they have a tortie girl who is a little devil! she doesnt like anyone,lol. but that might be cos shes female! lol.

we had a female tabby when i was little who only liked me. she was a b*tch,lol.

my parents have always gone for black cats as they believe that they are the most docile, but i think it depends hugely on the cat as well.

keanu is white with brown spots... so god knows what im going to get from him! lol.

smudgley
16-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Based on a couple of posts and replies in Fran's thread about Bliss - I just wondered is a cats character related to it's colour?

Karen

I don't think so.

alexgirl73
16-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a black and white who is a psycho!!!

A tabby who is quite chilled and laid back

And Miss Teddie who is cream and I still have no idea what her temperament is really like, but I'm beginning to suspect that's she's gonna be a handful!!!

Fran
16-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I definitely think there is something in the 'naughty tortie' saying. All the torties I have had have been rather dominant personalities. The greys seem to have a different temperament too. I've had 4 greys over the years and they are just so friendly and relaxed but very confident when meeting strangers and other animals and very accepting of newbies. I do think that it's hard to generalise and I think that breed even in moggiesplays a part too.

charliebubs
16-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I think it much depends on the personality of the individual cat, but I have to say that I have come across a few "naughty torties"!!! :)

I did have a ginger cat as a child and she was a terror and quite agressive at times, but then Leo (my dad's ginger cat) is the biggest, softest boy you could wish for!!!

It's a bit like saying that all blondes are dumb...........we aren't..........honest!!!!!!!!! :):):)

dinahsmum
16-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think so.

vicki
16-03-2007, 05:12 PM
ah! norty tortie syndrome!:lol: a sydrome well known in the veterinary profession!
I'm sure its coincedental but I find 9 out of 10 tortie and white are very naughty and hard to handle, that includes cats my mom has had too. I find though the dark torties are very sweet and I've never met a nasty ginger boy, ginger girls are a handful. Blue cats can be grumpy. We laugh as nurses as we are more warey of orange torties and blues although we shouldnt be but they tend to be the worst behaved:-D

Kazz
16-03-2007, 09:14 PM
See I can't see it myself - my Cleo is mostly ginger with white and she is the most laid back horizontal loving cat you could wish for. Oscar her brother who was mostly white with ginger splodges was the most adorable cat with those he trusted being abused his character was partly formed but softened round the edges over the years.
And had a black and white Tom Archie whose character never got a chance to develope to adlthood as he was killed in a RTA before he was 1 but he was like a big baby so soft.

Karen

dandysmom
16-03-2007, 09:21 PM
This is all anecdotal, but there must be some basis for so many people saying torties and gingers are naughty...I've only had one of each and they were both laid back affectionate cats..I'd say Abys and Puras are naughty...the things mine got into!

Kobster
17-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Here is an article on coat color and temperment
http://www.messybeast.com/colour-tempment.htm

Fran
17-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I enjoyed reading that; a very interesting article! Thank you for posting..

Mags
17-03-2007, 10:42 AM
That's a very interesting article Kobster..... thanks!

dandysmom
17-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow, what a very interesting article! hanks, Kobster!