PDA

View Full Version : Bliss' angry mood

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, things are not great here this morning. Last night Bliss attacked Ria whilst she was sitting on my lap (bare legs) unfortunately my legs took the brunt of the attack and are a real mess this morning. This morning Bliss staged a really awful attack on Ria, Ria now has a nasty scratch down her face and is somewhat subdued. Bliss hasn't stopped with Ria but decided to put her newly found bullying techniques in Cloony's direction. Clooney is the sweetest, softest cat ever and has never hurt anyone but seemingly he had had enough this morning and put Bliss in her place and now Bliss has a nasty skin flap wound inside her ear (not sure how that will heal with regards to her show career :? ) So both Ria and Bliss are having their war wounds bathed with diluted bicarb and Clooney has taken himself off out of the way of all the female hromones running rife in our house right now :roll:

Looks like I'm internet shopping for a Feliway plug in this morning. Any advice from anyone that keeps a few entire females together would be greatly appreciated. What would anyone think about me trying the water spray techinque with Bliss when she is staging these attacks? If I can't sort this out then I am going to have to re-think the situation here :(

alexgirl73
15-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh dear Fran! Not so good is it? Obviously I can't offer you any advice, but sending lots of sympathy your way! ((hugs))

Luke
15-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Can't offer any help-although i know Het had similar problems when she first got Jazz [lilac point siamese] and she had a particular 'thing' for er big seal point girly Cleo, so she'd be your lady to ask about getting the meezers to 'settle' with each other:)
Sorry can't be of more help!

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Luke, I'll send Het a pm later on

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:47 AM
The problem is Bliss, all the others and Ria get along fine but Bliss seems to have this great big chip on her shoulders lately :?

Luke
15-03-2007, 10:49 AM
It does seem strange to be so 'out of charcter':?, maybe something's making her feel anxious or something:?

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:56 AM
It does seem strange to be so 'out of charcter':?, maybe something's making her feel anxious or something:?

It's not out of character really (remember how she was when Mildred came) she often tries to throw her weight around but it's just been particularly nasty these last few days, I think she has seen the weak link in Ria's temperament, The others will stand up to her and she backs down but because Ria is scarred and Bliss wins, she is trying this new super confidence on the others too :roll:

dinahsmum
15-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Oh Fran - too many hormones????
Haven't a clue what to do (hope others will) but hope the rest of the day is peaceful and the Feliway works.
(You don't think Ria is pregnant and therefore 'different therefore attack-worthy' do you?)

yola
15-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh Fran - what a horrible situation. So sorry you got caught in the middle of that :( It must be very concerning when your cats are warring like that. Hopefully the Feliway might settle things down a bit.

I can't offer any advice as I have never had any kitty conflict before, but I wish you all the best in sorting it out.

Mags
15-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Could Bliss have possibly been jealous of Ria when she saw her sitting on your lap last night, Fran? There again she had a go at Clooney too for some reason :?

I hope you can find a way of restoring harmony amongst them soon, it must be so worrying for you :(

Fran
15-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Could Bliss have possibly been jealous of Ria when she saw her sitting on your lap last night, Fran? There again she had a go at Clooney too for some reason :?

Bliss certainly is a very jealous cat especially where I am concerned, seemingly she belongs to me and all the other cats belong to everybody else!! She generally copes ok but for some reason she seems to have a big vendetta against Ria and took her frustrations out on poor Clooney :( Got to say since Clooney put her in her place she has been much quieter :roll: Have just had another check at her ear and I have noticed her boobies are quite swollen, they did this last time she was in call so I wonder if this is what all this is about and that she will start to call any day?

Jac
15-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Sorry cant help with the multi female thing but how about some Bachs rescue remedy in her water for a wee while?

Fran
15-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry cant help with the multi female thing but how about some Bachs rescue remedy in her water for a wee while?

Hey Jac, good to see you again!! Is the Bach's remedy safe in pregnancy do you know? It's just with Ria possibly being pregnant I don't want to take any chances..

Jac
15-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Its completley natural. I know people that have used it on pregnant dogs.

Fran
15-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Its completley natural. I know people that have used it on pregnant dogs.

Thanks Jac..

Jac
15-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Hope it works for you. Keep my fingers crossed Fran.

charliebubs
15-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh Fran, I'm only just reading this and so sorry to hear about the tension between the girls. It certainly does sound like jealousy and as we have said before about Meezers/Orientals they are very highly strung. It seems as though Ria's arrival has put Bliss' nose out of joint a bit. :(

I hope that they calm down soon. I think a Feliway plug in/spray and Bach Rescue Remedy sound like a very good start.

I didn't realise that entire females had these issues in the way that entire males do, but I suppose that it makes sense. It's all hormonal. Perhaps the possible pregnancy and calling are all attributing factors.

Sorry I can't be more help, but lots of love and hugs coming your way.

xx

tilly
15-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I can't offer any advice but hope it sorts itself out very soon

Sally

dandysmom
15-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Same for me; never had whole females. I do hope you can get sorted out; so unpleasant for you and the girls....maybe the Feliway and Bachs will do some good ......:cry:

Kazz
15-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Do you think by any chance that Ria is the straw that broke the camels back so to speak..ie Bliss just about copes in a multi cat household and what with Bliss's arrival she went close to the edge and now with Ria's arrival it has sent her way over the edge/balance off kilter so to speak.

Karen

Het
15-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Hiya Fran
I had a similar situation when I brought Jazz here at 2 years old, she hated Cleo the sealpoint on sight and there were some extremely vicious fights. They still don't get on but it is at least manageable now, and suprisingly a lot better since Boo (Maine Coon) arrived. Jazz also took her aggression/frustration out on the other cats and even the dogs. It seems to be an Alpha Female thing. Siamese/Orientals seem to like a 'pecking order' to be in place, also Jazz can be very possesive of 'her' people. I wasn't sure at the time whether it was because of her bad start in life or down to just being a highly strung Meezer! Cleo is the Applehead type and has a completely different personality....
We used Valerian drops in Jazzs water which had a calming effect, and Cleo soon learned to keep out of her way. The moggies learnt to fight back, and as with most bullies this worked and she left them alone, although if they were ever ill she seemed to sense weakness and could be quite evil to them. Luckily William moggie was a big girl and made sure she remained Pack leader.
The thing that settled her down most was being pregnant and having the kittens....gave her a focus and seemed to mellow her a lot. An experienced breeder actually told us this would happen and it did.
Things tick along now, she still has her 'bossy' moments .I think it really is part of the Oriental/Siamese temperament, and she is obviously getting to that age where she is trying out her 'powers'. They are such complicated cats!!! but so gorgeous, although having Boo has reminded me how nice it is to have a 'normal' cat!!!!! Still wouldn't be without my Meezers though:D

dandysmom
15-03-2007, 07:58 PM
That's a good idea about the tipping point! I've never had more than 3 at a time; however my breeder friends at one time had 12, and they were all generally cool with another cat being added to the family...sort of a "Ho hum, another one" attitude. They were Siamese, Orientals and moggies, one entire male and 3 entire females, plus spays/neuters. I suppose a lot depends on the individual cat's temperament,,,how is Bliss" ear doing, Fran?

Elaine
15-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear this Fran, what a horrible thing to have happened. Hope you can fathom it all out and restore some kind of harmony between them all again.

Fran
15-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you Het, I was actually going to pm you as Luke had said you had had a similar experience. It's reassuring to know that although things may never be totally harmonious that there is light at the end of the tunnel here. Perhaps a litter will calm Bliss down a little? Will have to see how things go and take each day as it comes. It's been great to hear of someone who has experienced a similar situation so thank you Het for sharing your experience.

Kazz, you mentioned that possibly one more cat may have tipped Bliss over the edge. My gut instinct is not this really, I feel it's because Ria is so timid and easily intimidated by Bliss. Bliss tried it on with Mildred when she first came but as small as Mildred was she could certainly hold her own and stood up to Bliss from day one. If Ria would stand up to Bliss then she would back down, much like she did with Clooney earlier. He rather surprised me, bless him, putting her in her place like that!

Eileen, her ear doesn't look half as bad now the bleeding has stopped and the redness has subsided. I'm going to keep it clean and bathe it in bicarb for a couple of days. Thank you for asking x

Fran
15-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear this Fran, what a horrible thing to have happened. Hope you can fathom it all out and restore some kind of harmony between them all again.

Thank you Elaine, at least it has been a quieter afternoon so it's a start!

Luke
15-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I really think you may be onto something Fran, Bliss really could just be feeling her feet and thinking she's a bit great cause she can boss Ria around-shame really:(
I hope it mellows soon, for their sakes-and yours!:D

borderdawn
15-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Not sure a litter would help a Cat who didnt like others!!! Not sure I would breed from a Cat that was like that anyway. My opinion only.

I know it must be difficult Fran, I hope it settles down for you.
dawn.

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Not sure a litter would help a Cat who didnt like others!!!

I couldn't describe Bliss as a cat that doesn't like others, as you have seen many times in the piccies I have posted, she is always curled up with someone. I think with Bliss it's more a case of wanting to be alpha queen, she just can't bear the thought of being the under dog :roll: and I do think that most of it is hormonal and the rest of it is down to her being a tortie ;)

borderdawn
15-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Now thats just plain wrong Fran!! Everybody knows its Gingers that are the naughtiest!! :mrgreen:
Dawn.

Fran
15-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Now thats just plain wrong Fran!! Everybody knows its Gingers that are the naughtiest!! :mrgreen:
Dawn.

Well I have never, ever owned a ginner so I really can't compare but the tortie's take some beating especially Oriental ones!!! :-D

Edit to add that I did have a ginger cat for a while when I was a small child but I really can't remember much about it other than it got run over on the road outside our house and my mum bought me a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to compensate :?

Animagus
15-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I've had a ginger and he was a complete angel right up until he passed.... lol now my youngest he is a total pest and the naughtiest lol

borderdawn
15-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Well I have never, ever owned a ginner so I really can't compare but the tortie's take some beating especially Oriental ones!!! :-D

Edit to add that I did have a ginger cat for a while when I was a small child but I really can't remember much about it other than it got run over on the road outside our house and my mum bought me a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to compensate :?
Trust me, gingers is BAD!!! I couldnt possibly imagine a ginger/red oriental, just think what it would be like? A cross between Bliss and Moose!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: HELL on 4 legs!! :-D

dandysmom
15-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I grew up with a ginger boy and he was the sweetest, most affectionate cat you would ever know! Lived to be 17. Not a naughty bone in his body; and my brindled tortie Patches was a sweet cat also....my Aby and Pura boys were the naughty ones...I could tell stories ......

Mags
15-03-2007, 11:37 PM
My Sam was a big ginger tom and one of the softest cats I've known, whereas Cassie can occasionally be a right little madam! :lol:

Kay
17-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Fran
Have only just caught up with this thread due to my PC being down.
Don't worry about Bliss I would say she is going to start calling in the next few days, Ria will have brought her in, and all this behaviour is down to hormonal imbalances. It is harder bringing in an adult entire female than a kitten and there will be more issues but I am sure they will sort themselves out. Bliss certainly has a lovely temperament normally and I am sure she will make an excellent mother and pass her beautiful nature on to her kittens.

Fran
17-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Don't worry about Bliss I would say she is going to start calling in the next few days, Ria will have brought her in, and all this behaviour is down to hormonal imbalances.

Thank you Kay, you are right :D Hubby heard Bliss calling a few times during the night and when he first got up this morning. She has been quiet since I have got up but no doubt she'll be fully in call within the next 24hours :roll:

She does have a lovely temperament and this is one thing the judges comented on in their critiques of her :cool:

dinahsmum
17-03-2007, 02:21 PM
PPMT
Puss-pre-menstrual tension?
Blimmin' hormones! :)