PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin foods.

borderdawn
14-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Went to the warehouse and was told I couldnt have any Royal Canin as RC were not selling it to anyone other than breeders (on big scale :roll: ) or legitimate pet shops. They said folk were selling it off by opening the bags etc.. and they didnt want that. I said I am a boarding kennels and Cattery and its for my own use, thats fine then they said!! How weird! :-D

Anyhow bought some of the "Exigent 35/30" Cats like it and its less than £1.00 difference between that and the sensible 33 I usually buy. Anyone tried it?

One thing, not sure how long I would feed it at £42.99 retail price!! :shock:
Dawn.

Tanya
14-03-2007, 11:46 AM
My local petshop only sells the small bags and they haven't usually got it in stock very often. Another petshop, which isn't too far from me also sells royal canin, but they only seem to buy sacks. They then sells whole sacks or small bags which have been taken from the sack!! It must be a money making scam that these small petshops have invented!

If RC firmly believe that these sacks should not be split then I think the petshops should be made aware and if they continue doing this they should be punished. Afterall, its RC's profits that will be down and these petshops 'inpocket' ;)

yola
14-03-2007, 11:59 AM
My petshop sells from the huge sacks right down to the tiny bags. I've never seen them splitting the big bags. Ithink it probably depends on the individual shop. The bags shouldn't be opened in advance of feeding as the food will degenerate over time and the petshops should be aware of this.

Pets at Home even now sell some of the more basic Royal Canin ranges.

I can understand RCs unwillingness to sell to all and sundry if such practice (opening bags and reselling) is common place. After all, it does nothing for the quality of the feed or for the integrity of their brand!

And no, I haven't tried the Exigent. What is it and how does it differ from the usual RC food? I buy persian mix + intense furball formula and feed it as a 50/50 mix.

Fran
14-03-2007, 12:09 PM
My pet shop gets me the big bags in. I use RC kitten for Mildred and RC Simaese for the adults although the moggies eat the Siamese too :roll: I also feed Supacat which all of mine wil eat and actually Ria prefers. You can often buy the big bags of RC at shows..

I've been pondering over which RC adult food to put them on with the moggies liking it too. I know the Siamese won't hurt them but maybe there would be a better RC product to suit them all. We are having a Royal Canin weekend at our local pet shop soon, so I may pop along for advice..

borderdawn
14-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks folks. The Exigent is supposed to be for fussy Cats, Schnapps can be, so I got it for that reason and that it was nutritionally similar to the sensible 33.
http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/default.aspx?page=130

Elaine
14-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I have used Exigent with my two. They liked it but then they like all foods LOL. Its normally the sensible I get but have of late had alot of samples from Liz so at the moment they are getting a mish mash of different RC, but enjoying it all the same.

Kim
14-03-2007, 09:40 PM
My local Jollyes sell the small bags up to the large sacks. I usually buy the sensible type in sacks as they work out cheaper, but cost £40 :shock: The cats love it though.

Kay
17-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't really comment on this as I belong to the Royal Canin Breeders and as such I am able to buy at a reduced prices on the larger bags and they deliver it. My local pet shop does stock it but I know they don't split the bags. If you know of any pet shops that are splitting the bags it might be worth you reporting it to Royal Canin.

borderdawn
17-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I can't really comment on this as I belong to the Royal Canin Breeders and as such I am able to buy at a reduced prices on the larger bags and they deliver it. My local pet shop does stock it but I know they don't split the bags. If you know of any pet shops that are splitting the bags it might be worth you reporting it to Royal Canin.

Is that question for me Kay? I dont know anyboy that splits the bags, I buy from the warehouse for me and the Cats at work. Hope you get a decent discount?;)
Dawn.

Kay
17-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Is that question for me Kay? I dont know anyboy that splits the bags, I buy from the warehouse for me and the Cats at work. Hope you get a decent discount?;)
Dawn.
No , Dawn the comment was to anyone who does know of places that split the bags. I do get an excellent discount but have to buy at least 20kg at a time.

borderdawn
17-03-2007, 11:42 PM
I would shop them myself Kay, they are spoiling it for genuine folk. Good news about the discount, I pay £23.19 for a 10kg bag Exigent 30/35 or £22.49 for same size sensible 33.
Dawn.

smudgley
18-03-2007, 12:36 AM
I love RC. :shock:
We use it for the rescues as we get it at a great price & they give us goody packs to send out with all the cats that come through the rescue. I prefer it now to the Purina pro plan as I think that seems a bit rich for some nursing moms. But the RC babycat & kitten are great & I now use the sensible for all the adults.

I feed RC to my dog too. :)

What I do find a bit bizarre is all the breed specific diets! Why should a labrador need a different type of food to another large breed dog? etc.

Kazz
18-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Very very interesting however I can't comment - dried food upsets Cleo's tummy always has done. So we have wet food or fresh food cooked to her taste. Karen

Although I may give it a go for the girls I was looking for a dried food for them - Karen

alexgirl73
18-03-2007, 03:01 PM
RC kitten and sensitive were 2 of the worst foods possible for Teddie!! Strange how one cat can be fine on it and another can't tolerate it at all!

borderdawn
18-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I love RC. :shock:
We use it for the rescues as we get it at a great price & they give us goody packs to send out with all the cats that come through the rescue. I prefer it now to the Purina pro plan as I think that seems a bit rich for some nursing moms. But the RC babycat & kitten are great & I now use the sensible for all the adults.

I feed RC to my dog too. :)

What I do find a bit bizarre is all the breed specific diets! Why should a labrador need a different type of food to another large breed dog? etc.
Have no idea Smudgely :? except they are targeting popular breeds, so maybe a ploy to get more people feeding it if they think its specifically for their dog.

Royal Canin were giving away loads of stuff at Crufts on the last day. i got handed CD's, a double bowl holder with 2 stainless steel bowls, a bum bag :shock: books, some ribbon thingy with a clip on it and a couple other things too.
Dawn.

Fran
18-03-2007, 06:49 PM
RC kitten and sensitive were 2 of the worst foods possible for Teddie!! Strange how one cat can be fine on it and another can't tolerate it at all!

'tis strange isn't it Alex? Porsha despite all her problems tolerated RC baby cat, kitten and now Siamese very well, she's also tolerated the odd sachets I've had of other products in the RC range. Trouble I have with Porsha is she is a fussy eater but seems to like RC very much :cool: All my cats love RC so much so that I am planning to change my moggies over from Supacat to RC.

Dawn, RC do tend to give away some very nice pressies :cool: