PDA

View Full Version : Do neutered Toms

Rosie
13-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Still go walkabouts? I tought once a tom cat was neutered it stayed near to home and didn't wander. I only ask as Alfie seems to be staying out longer and longer sometimes even missing a meal. He is chipped and away from traffic but nevertheless I don't like him being out of calling distance. Rosie on the other hand has never wandered further than a shout away.

Kazz
13-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes I think they do but it depends on the cat I think also but I have noticed having neutured males and spayed females the males have gone further afield not maybe as wide a range of "territory" as a entire Tom but still a territory my Oscar used to be gone for hours and hours and hours,but always came home at night - a tip maybe when he comes home at night give him a bit of his favourite thing ever.....cheese, chicken, cuddles whatever ;) but yes he did venture further afield. You get used to it.

Karen

Mags
13-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Sam, my previous cat, was neutered and he used to disappear practically all day. Sometimes he came back with caked mud on his tummy and legs so I knew he had been down by the river which is quite a distance away......he was a proper roamer!:D

dinahsmum
13-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I think they are each their own 'little personality'. I have brought my boys up exactly the same (obviously, having got them on the same day) but now Bentley is a real outdoor body, always wanting to be out (although not roaming out of earshot, i must say) and Chester has turned out to be number one wuss! He prefers the fire or the bed :(

Fran
13-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I think they are all individual but yes neutered Tom's do tend to roam less than entire ones. The weather is so nice at the minute that I think most of us are finding that our cats are wanting to spend more time out doors.

dandysmom
13-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Neutered males do have smaller territories and generally roam less, but they will still roam, especially now that the weather is getting nicer!

Sweet
13-03-2007, 04:54 PM
All of my cats well minus Misty and Jac are out enjoying the sun today x

sammy
13-03-2007, 05:58 PM
My Des (who is neutered of course) went missing for nearly two weeks a few years ago. I made myself ill worrying about him and really thought he'd gone for good, but he just turned up at the back door one night, thin, dirty, but otherwise none the worse. Have no idea where he'd been, but ever since then I don't think he goes very far, so I imagine he gave himself a fright.

Rosie
14-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all your replies I will be a lot less paranoid now. I know how much he loves going in the fields it is obviously a huge adventure for him so would not wish to stop him going out. I would just love to put a little camera on him to see where he goes and who he meets up with.

janey83
14-03-2007, 12:16 PM
My Tigger was neutered and he never went far, just nipped across the street for a wee and then back home in his own garden... that could of been coz he was knocked down when he was younger. (He did venture out of the street before he was knocked down though)