PDA

View Full Version : Alex....

Moli
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Any news on Teddie, hope you have not already posted and I have missed it!:roll:

Elaine
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Was wondering the same thing Pat. Hope all went well. xxx

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Sorry guys, just posted in the daily thread section! Would it be better to transfer it over here?

Moli
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry guys, just posted in the daily thread section! Would it be better to transfer it over here?
Thinks so if you do not mind...:D

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Right folks, here is this afternoons Teddie report!!!

vet visit went well. Was very pleased with his manner and knowledge! His initial diagnosis is IBS, as we all suspected (maybe we should set up an online advice site). He has sent off a blood sample to test that her body is breaking down the enzymes properly (or something along those lines). He also wants her kept on the metronidazole for at least 6 more weeks, and then gradually taper it off, rather that stopping it altogether, and risking it all starting again. He is very happy for her current feeding regime to remain in place, and has no problems with her remaining on the hills id for life if need be!!! He doesn't want her spayed yet, feels it would be too risky health wise, and wants to wait at least another 8 weeks and build her up some more. So all in all, todays bill came to almost the £100 mark!!!

Fran
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Have replied in the daily thread Alex :roll:

dinahsmum
12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
and me .... how confusing! :? Never mind!:)

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 05:12 PM
It's Molis fault lol. I will go and delete my reply over there too and repost it here!

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 05:13 PM
TBH Fran, from the conversation we had, the blood test is more of a rule out thing! If that comes back clear then the diagnosis is IBS almost 99%! He did talk about doing a gastric-biopsy, but said it would most likely be a waste of money (how refreshing to hear a vet say that) as you have to take a sample from just the right spot to get a result otherwise it just comes back clear! And there was another digestion test, but it has to be sent off to America for testing as they dont do it in this country, that comes in at over £300!!!! But he didn't recommend that either, says it isn't very reliable in cats. He says that there is the chance that she may have to remain on the metronidazole for life and that he was at a conference recently talking to a vet who is knowledgable about these things and that they just don't know why some cats have these problems and why they go bad again as soon as the antibiotics are stopped, but he says we will cross that bridge if we come to it. There is also another drug we can try if things stop working with the metronidazole (can't remember the name), but the vet feels that we have been managing it well and that in the end is what it comes down to with IBS as there isn't a 'cure' as such.

Elaine
12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Blood tests can be pricey Alex but best to rule out as much as you can. Process of elimination I guess.
Your new vet certainly seems to be far more knowledgeable than the last and supportive too.
Getting a diagnosis is half the battle I think. Once you know exactly what you are dealing with, you can then research things a little yourself and discuss your findings with the vet.
All the very best to you both, sending lots of love as always xxx

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Exactly Elaine! As I said, this blood test is more to rule out than confirm anything. The vet was impressed by my little diary and descriptions of her symptoms. He has also sent off to the other vet for her medical history. His gut feeling from the symptoms is the IBS, doesn't feel that it is giardia, but says it may have stemmed from the fact that when we first brought her home with all of her problems, the stress she was under, the fact she had diarrhea anyway and the medication, her colon became inflamed, infection set in and that led to the irritation of the colon and bowel and that in turn led to the IBS. he did say that there was a small chance that it could eventually settle down with time, but usually it is a lifetime condition. But at least we would now how to deal with it then. Thank you everyone for your support and best wishes once again! ((hugs)) and xx to you all!

Moli
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Sounds like this vet may well get to the bottom of it.....and there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.....So pleased to hear something positive at last...

Fran
12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
her colon became inflamed, infection set in and that led to the irritation of the colon and bowel and that in turn led to the IBS.

This is what my vet more or less told me too. She said that she thought that Porsha didn't have IBS but if the diarrhoea persisted and became a chronic problem then it could lead to IBS in the long term. So I do think your vet seems to know what he is on about. Interesting about the Giardia. What were his reasons for ruling that out?

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
The main reasons he gave for ruling out giardia were that the fecal sample that had already been done didn't show anything, she wasn't having bouts of vomiting and the fact that her poos were more watery and bubbly. It tends to be the rule that giardia poos are more mucusy! Also the fact that it was food that made things worse with her, which led to the conclusion it was a problem with digestion more than anything else!

Fran
12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
The main reasons he gave for ruling out giardia were that the fecal sample that had already been done didn't show anything, she wasn't having bouts of vomiting and the fact that her poos were more watery and bubbly.

It's strange that different vets have different opinions isn't it? My vet said that Giardia is difficult to find in stool samples and that often several samples have to be sent inorder to find it and Porsha did test positive for Giardia but has never ever vomited in all the time I have had her :?

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 06:39 PM
You do wonder sometimes if they are taught the same things don't you? The vet did comment on the fact that it can be difficult to detect, but also said that even if it was giardia, the treatment would be the same, metronidazole! We will have to wait and see now what the blood sample shows (but I don't think it will show anything) and how she responds to long term metronidazole treatment. Funnily enough, this vet doesn't think that it's necessary for her to be on promax paste at the same time unlike the last vet who said she definitely needed to take a probiotic at the same time!

Fran
12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Yes the treatment of choice for Giardia is Metronidazole but my vet put Porsha on Promax paste at the same time as being on Metronidazole :?

dinahsmum
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Guess it's a bit like 'my recipe for spiced fruit cake versus your recipe for spiced fruit cake'. No real right or wrong, just various individuals' preferred way.
At least he's got his head screwed on wrt diet and long term feeding and is happy to listen to Alex.
Fingers crossed.
How is the patient anyway?

Mags
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
It just goes to show how two different vets have different theories, doesn't it:? Anyway Alex, this new vet appears to be more interested in Teddie's case so I hope the outcome will be good.

I too replied in the other thread!! :lol:

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
The patient is running about the house like a loony, lol!!! I guess that means she's feeling ok then, huh! She's still getting some grief from Broxi but I just seperate them when it gets too much, and she's turning round and whacking him anyway!!

dandysmom
12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Great news, Alex! This vet sounds like a winner: caring and interested in explaining things clearly to you, and not pushing unnecessary tests! Sounds as if everything's on the right path now, and Teddie's future will be brighter and happier...glad she's bouncing around the house and whacking Broxi when he gets too pushy!

Kazz
12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Excellent news all around. So pleased more than anything that YOU are happy with the vet it makes the World of difference even if he'd said the same things as your other vet the fact you trust and like him is a BIG plus.

Karen

Elaine
12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Agree with that one Kazz.

Fran
12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Absolutley Kazz, having faith in your vet does certainly make a huge difference

yola
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Alex, I'm delighted and relieved that Teddie has a vet who is taking the time and trouble to understand what ails her and who is listening to you and your concerns.

I hope he's able, over time, to get to the bottom (so to speak ;) ) of the problem and make your little fluffball well again.

alexgirl73
12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Thank you all! As you say Kazz, knowing that the vet is interested in Teddie and actually took the time to explain to me what his reasonings were went a long way to making me trust him. My appointment was at 9.20 this morning adn we didn't come out until just after 10! At the other vet i think the longest we were there was 10 mins.

dandysmom
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
And I think it helped that you were such a concerned owner who'd done lots of research on the problem and brought him copious and detailed notes...someone he could work with to get to the bottom of the situation!

smudgley
12-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Glad Teddie is doing well & that the vet seems to be getting things sorted for you Alex. :)

alexgirl73
13-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys!

Sweet
13-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Good news and good to read Teddie is running around x

tilly
13-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Glad you have a diagnosis.

My vet said that they couldn't be certain about IBS/IBD in Tilly unuless they did a biopsy but they were 99% sure. She is doing very well on her bland diet and the d/d and hasn't been sick again. So Teddie should be OK as well.

Sally

Animagus
13-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Alex.. I am so glad things are going well for Teddie and it seems you have Landed on your feet with your new vet.

Hope things continue to get better...

Luv XX

charliebubs
14-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi Alex,

I'm SO pleased to hear that this new vet is interested in Teddie and helping you to solve the problem, or understand what it is at least. :)

Keep us posted on her progress as always. I would say that if she's running around like a loony, she's on the road to recovery!!! lol

Lots of love and hugs to you both.

xxx

alexgirl73
14-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Charlie, thanks! Nice to see you back! Is it possible for a cat to be in call but not 'call' if you know what I mean?? I definitely think Teddie is in call as she is being hyper affectionate and of course Broxi is running around after her trying to do the business, lol! But she's not actually making any noise! Confused here!!!

charliebubs
14-03-2007, 03:27 PM
She could be just starting to come into call and perhaps Broxi can tell before Teddie herself can actually tell!!! If you remember with Lily she wasn't actually calling when William came in the house, but he must have know that it was coming before either Lily or I did. Perhaps it's the same with your Teddie Bear??

She'll probably start to make more noise and get more affectionate in the next day or so............... enjoy!!!!! lol

:)

dandysmom
14-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I suspect Charlie's right and that Broxi can sense hormonal signs...scent, probably. I only had one cat go into heat before she was spayed (Misty), and boy was she loud for a moggy! I cannot imagine what it must be like to have a Siamese queen calling...:shock: :roll: ! Maybe Persians are quieter,,,Yola?

Fran
14-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Charlie, thanks! Nice to see you back! Is it possible for a cat to be in call but not 'call' if you know what I mean?? I definitely think Teddie is in call as she is being hyper affectionate and of course Broxi is running around after her trying to do the business, lol! But she's not actually making any noise! Confused here!!!

it is actually possible for queens to have 'silent' cals Alex. Usually they display other signs of being in call but don't make the usual noises :roll: Is she rolling about the floor and cleaning her private bits and pieces more than usual?

alexgirl73
14-03-2007, 07:42 PM
She's definitely cleaning herself more, and when you sit down beside her, she's throwing herself on to her side and presenting her tummy for tickling. Also when you stroke her back, she is going flat to the floor!! I know that they can come in to call every 3 weeks, but how long does each call last for?

Fran
14-03-2007, 08:35 PM
She's definitely cleaning herself more, and when you sit down beside her, she's throwing herself on to her side and presenting her tummy for tickling. Also when you stroke her back, she is going flat to the floor!! I know that they can come in to call every 3 weeks, but how long does each call last for?

It varys queen to queen Alex, it can last from a couple of days up until a week. Some queens can call every two to three weeks and some can go much longer between calls. It may just be the start of her coming into call, you'll most likely get confirmation that she's in call at 3am in the morning :roll: :-D

alexgirl73
14-03-2007, 09:01 PM
oh joy!!!:roll: Roll on the spaying date!

dinahsmum
14-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Wonder if becoming sexually/hormonally mature might have some effect on her tum? Sort of help it grow up and cope better?
We can but hope

alexgirl73
14-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Never thought of that DM! Let's keep our fingers crossed. x

dandysmom
14-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Good thought! That never occurred to me.......