PDA

View Full Version : age??

Archer
12-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Its been ages since I had a kitten!! Jaffa is now 4 months...at what age did you all start letting them outside.Hes desperate to get out even hiding behind the hoover and pouncing when we let the dogs out!But I'm scared he won't come back or that someone will pick him up!

dinahsmum
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I was a wimp with my two :roll: (like you it was a long time since I had been mum to a kitten). They didn't really go out very much at all till they were chopped & chipped at just 6 months.
I did take them out in the garden if I had time to sit and watch them, and didn't stress too much if they went through the hedge to next door's garden.
I got them used to coming to the call of 'boys boys boys' by giving them half a dozen bits of kibble when they hurtled back to me.
Now 11 months old, one loves to be outside but is never out of earshot and always comes to call; the other is a wimp and would rather stay around the house.
I wouldn't worry too much about it - do what you feel happiest with; in many respects that's a good way to raise little ones.:)

dandysmom
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Can't help with this; mine have always been indoors only with walks on a harness, as I live in the City on a heavily trafficed street, plus we have foxes, raccoons and opossums from the nearby woods...too unsafe for a cat. I started harness training when they were kittens.

Fran
12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I let mine out once they are fully vaccinated but only under strict supervision at first and gradually allow them a little more freedom as they become accustomed to it. My pedigree cats are indoor only cats though and my moggies are only allowed out during the day. I like them in at night time :)

Mags
12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I let Cassie out at approx 4 months for a short time only while I supervised. If I had to go out, such as shopping etc, I always made sure she was back inside the house. Like Fran, I always make sure she is safely indoors at night.....