PDA

View Full Version : How long do cats sleep?

Tanya
06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I know we say 'cat naps' and 'cat napping', but does this literally mean that our cats only sleep for short periods?

Im asking because as Oli gets older he seems to sleep ALOT less. I didn't mind until it started affecting my sleep. We went to bed about 11.30pm last night and then Oli woke us up at 5am! He was playing on our bed with his squeaking mouse! I swapped the toy for a quieter one (so I could go back to sleep), but this only kept him entertained for a couple of mins.

He then walked all over me and meowed and purred until I got up! :cat9

dandysmom
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Tanya, on an average cats sleep 14 to 16 hours a day! Not necessarily the hours we'd like them to be sleeping..here's an interesting link to cats metabolism, and much more... ihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Metabolism

Tanya
07-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Thankyou Dandysmom!

That was a very interesting read. Apparently oriental and skinnier breed cats are more active. Maybe thats why Oli is the crazy fool that he is!! Maybe he has been having a few restless nights lately - hope thats the reason for his lack of sleep (thats causing my lack of sleep)

Sorry to ramble xxx

dandysmom
07-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey, ramble on, that's what we're here for! Have you tried giving Oli a good romp before bedtime to burn off some of his surplus energy?

Tanya
07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh yes we have tried!! I think he knows we are trying to get him tired so he plays for a few minutes and then goes off somewhere to try and sleep!

Last night I would NOT let him sleep at all after about 7.30pm - we went to bed about 11.30pm again and he woke up about 6am. Still too early, but better than yesterday! ;)

Sweet
07-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Aww bless his little cotton socks ;) x