PDA

View Full Version : Cattery or Cat Sitter

Soupie
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I have a week away planned at the end of May for my sister's wedding.

I am currently pondering whether to put Pousse in a cattery (I have a really good one I have used before and the lady who run's it is really caring and professional) or whether to get a cat-sitter?

Potential cat-sitter is a good friend and the plan would be for her to come round more frequently over the next two months and for Pousse to get used to her. She would also stay some nights at the flat when I am away so Pousse would have someone around some evenings and the nights she didn't stay she would spend a couple of hours at the flat giving cuddles etc.

Is this likely to be enough contact do you think? She would be going in morning to feed and tidy poophouse and then in evening to feed/groom and cuddle and either stay night or stay a couple of hours fussing. Intention is she would stay every other night. ;)

She is a very caring and responsible person who is experienced with cats - my only concern is whether a cattery would be better as the one I would use has someone on site 24/7.

Opinions and what do you do when you go away? :)

alexgirl73
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I've never used a cattery, and when I go away Teddie comes with me and I have someone who comes to the house to feed the boys and play with them twice a day. I think that the idea with your friend sounds best for Pousse, as she has already had a lot of upheaval, and a cattery might upset her again! Good luck with whatever you decide!

dinahsmum
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Good question.

Generally cats like their own homes and are usually content to stay in them and wait for their owner to come back.
However, it is a big responsibility for the sitter, and I suppose security is better in a double-door cattery pen.

Still haven't decided what to do with my monsters in September, so i won't offer you any advice at this time, except do what you think feels right.

jenny
05-03-2007, 03:40 PM
if you have the choice, i would go with a petsitter.

having used to work in a cattery, the cats only really get seen to twice a day for about 5 minutes and thats to feed and clean pretty much. maybe the one near you is different. But i think cats do prefer to be in the security of their own home and i would have thought your friend will be giving more than enough to keep her happy while you are away.

Fran
05-03-2007, 03:43 PM
It's a tough one, I have done both but have to say that I think the cats prefer to stop in their home rather than go into cattery accomodation. I think it's a decision that only you can make but if I had the support of your very experienced friend who will stay some nights with Pousse, then I might be tempted to leave her at home :)

sammy
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with Alex. Pousse has had alot of upheaval lately, and she's only now settling in to her new home, so I think the cat sitter would be preferable. We have a friend come to look after ours in the home when we're away, and I'm sure that's what they prefer!

Only my opinion of course! :D

Mags
05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I can only add what I always do with Cassie. She goes into the Cattery every year, has been going there for 9 years. We have got to know the owners quite well and Cassie is familiar with them. Being a very nervous cat, she is very wary about anyone coming into the house (except family)......... but when she gets to the Cattery she is all purrs and rubs around the owners. She also gets brushed most days and I do find different toys in her run even though she takes her own:D

I am happy with her being there as I know she is completely safe and there is always a vet on call if need be.

yola
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
My personal choice would always be a sitter. In the past, on the rare occasions we've had holidays someone (friends or family) have always either come to stay for the period or has popped in 2 or 3 times a day.

There are some very good pet/house sitting companies around and although they are not cheap these sitters are prepared for all eventualities and are covered by various insurances!

I have no experience of catteries but for me the choice is because of the nervous nature of one of my cats rather than a mistrust of catteries in any way.

borderdawn
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
if you have the choice, i would go with a petsitter.

having used to work in a cattery, the cats only really get seen to twice a day for about 5 minutes and thats to feed and clean pretty much. maybe the one near you is different. But i think cats do prefer to be in the security of their own home and i would have thought your friend will be giving more than enough to keep her happy while you are away.

You must have worked at a bad one, cant understand why you didnt give them more attention?

Anyhow, back to the question, I manage a kennels and cattery, I have seen both sides of the coin. One being Cats left at home, not eating, escaping, dissappearing etc.. becoming ill but not being seen for ages etc.. and the cattery side, Cats not enjoying it, some may not eat for the first day etc..

Points to consider.
Cattery. (up side)
Cat will be safe.
Cat will be fed and checked regularly.
Any problems will be attended to immediately, Veterinary expences should there be any will be covered.
Cat will be looked after by experienced people who recognise potential problems and can address them quickly.

Cattery (down side)
Cat may be quiet for a day or so untill it gets used to its surroundings.
Cat may not eat the first day.

Home (up side)
Cat in own environment.
Cat may continue eating normally.

Home (down side)
Cat will be left unnattended for extended periods, even overnight.
Cat may harm itself and be left injured without attention, again for extended period.
Cat may become ill, is the carer an experienced Cat owner who may recognise this?
Would the carer be able to get the Cat to a Vet and if nesessary administer medication to the Cat on a regular basis, remembering that for the most part they arent there.
You would be responsible for any Vet fees.
If the Cat escapes, bare in mind what could happen to it.

Just my opinion, depending on age etc... I would personally opt for a Cattery every time and thats even for my precious babes!

EmmaG
05-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I have always had my cats looked after by my parents, they have had cats before and they are allways very well looked after.

dandysmom
05-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I have only used a cattery (well recommended, professional) three times when I was younger and had to travel. My Siamese, a nervous type, detested it; he barely ate and came home 2 or 3 pounds lighter! I cat sat for my friend for years before she moved away, and her cat who was also wary of other people, was much happier at home...I'd play with her, (or try to!), feed her, scoop, etc. While the cat wasn't especially fond of me we both felt it was better for her in her own home. Whatever you decide, good luck!

tilly
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I used catteries when they were very young asd I didn't want then to get injured and it meant I didn't have to worry about them.
Then when they were between 3-7 years old we had a pet sitter come round as they didn't like not being able to roam around their territory.

Now they are back to using catteries as they are older and tend to just sleep most of the time anyway.

They go to the catter I worked in for about a year so I know everyone there and I feel happy as I know they are safe and IU don't have to worry about Tilly being silly and not coming in at night or buster staying out in the dark. Tilly does get stressed a bit but she settles in very quickly and whenever I come back they are tucked up in their bed looking very relaxed. Buster doesn't get so stressed and steeles in very quickly, he is happy as long as he has his food.

I would say if Pousse is an indoor only cats then it is OK to go with youre friend as a pet sitter but other wise I would take her to a cattery, as that is what I would do.

Sally

Kobster
06-03-2007, 05:35 AM
I would opt for the in home pet sitter, but I would have her stay every night. In my experience, cats just don't board well, and often do better in their home environment, especially older cats.

Of course, you need to leave emergency contacts, phone numbers and some money or a credit card behind in the event that Pousse becomes injured or ill.

Sweet
06-03-2007, 10:15 AM
My holiday in October (honeymoon) will be the first one since having my cats....my Son will stay at home and have them with Neighbours and Family around incase of problems x

Soupie
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Jen has had cats all her life and I will be contactable at all times in case of vetinary treatment required. Am happy to leave her a card to an account with funds in and my insurance docs :)

I have left Pousse overnight a couple of times and Jen will be going in minimum twice a day even when not staying over - I can ask her if she could do every night but that would mean leaving her cat in the complete care of her housemate which means he would have agree ;)

My concerns about the cattery are that she will think she is back in the rescue again and it will put her limited confidence back to square one :(

I really don't know what to do as there is so much advice here :oops:

yola
06-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I think, considering Pousse's sensitivity and recent upheavals I would be tempted to keep her at home. If she knows Jen then being in her own environment would be best for her.

Mags
06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
It sounds like you have everything well planned for a cat sitter Soupie ...... you have a friend you trust, one who is used to cats, you can be contacted whilst away ............ I would go with that ;)

borderdawn
06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Jen has had cats all her life and I will be contactable at all times in case of vetinary treatment required. Am happy to leave her a card to an account with funds in and my insurance docs :)

I have left Pousse overnight a couple of times and Jen will be going in minimum twice a day even when not staying over - I can ask her if she could do every night but that would mean leaving her cat in the complete care of her housemate which means he would have agree ;)

My concerns about the cattery are that she will think she is back in the rescue again and it will put her limited confidence back to square one :(

I really don't know what to do as there is so much advice here :oops:
Cats are not able to think in this capacity, we, as humans tend to try and put anthromorphic qualities on them which arent there, you must do as you think is best, but in 14yrs of Cattery management, I certainly know which I would choose, I would never ever leave a Cat (or Dog) alone unnattended in a house for long periods of time, anything could happen, but thats me, everybody is different.
Dawn.

charliebubs
06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
I have used both. I did put mine in a cattery before and never had any problems. The lady was so lovely who ran it and she treated all the cats as her own with lots of love and attention and her children were allowed to go and play with some of the cats too at times.

However, Kuta is slightly nervous and didn't really take well to being in the cattery, so I decided to try a pet sitter.

The first one I used was a terrible experience and I was really upset with her. :( It had been when Midas was poorly anyway and he deteriorated so much in the time I was away I was unsure if she had even been giving him his medication and he was so dehydrated. She claimed not to have noticed - which I though ridiculous.

Anyhow, after that I spoke to lots more people locally and was recommended to another pet sitters. This time they are lovely and I trust them completely. They even have a key to my house, which they keep so that if I'm ever stuck somewhere or need them to pop round in an emergency they will. They have been fantastic in looking after my bunch, they clean up the house a bit too, water my plants and pick up my post!!!

I think that you should do whatever you are comfortable with. I would do either and be happy - but Kuta wouldn't!! :(

Soupie
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Cats are not able to think in this capacity, we, as humans tend to try and put anthromorphic qualities on them which arent there, you must do as you think is best, but in 14yrs of Cattery management, I certainly know which I would choose, I would never ever leave a Cat (or Dog) alone unnattended in a house for long periods of time, anything could happen, but thats me, everybody is different.
Dawn.

Well she may not be able to think in that way as you say but she is certainly terrified by the sight of her carrier basket and even the very short trip to the vet. Both of those are relatively small in terms of trauma compared to going and living somewhere else for a week among strange people and strange cats. I trust the cattery I would use but I am not going to put her through the stress of going somewhere strange if it can be avoided.

Pousse is left for 10 - 11 hours alone every day while I am at work. Anything could happen then as well - does that mean I should not own a cat? :(

If my friend cat sat then Pousse would not be left alone or unchecked for any longer period than she does each day while I am at work - in fact Jen would be able to check her and leave it as shorter periods unattended than while I am at home!

As I have said I haven't made any decision and Pousse's wellbeing is paramount but I have to admit to feeling slightly offended by the implication that I don't care about my cat's welfare :?

borderdawn
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
she is certainly terrified by the sight of her carrier basket
So are mine!:D

Both of those are relatively small in terms of trauma compared to going and living somewhere else for a week among strange people and strange cats.
So why the thread in the first place, you appear to have made your decision?

Pousse is left for 10 - 11 hours alone every day while I am at work. Anything could happen then as well - does that mean I should not own a cat? :sad:

Pardon? Thats a bit of a silly thing to say.:roll: For the record, I personally think it is wrong to leave any animal for extended periods of time, and if that offends you, then thats not my problem is it? Pousse is your Cat.

As I have said I haven't made any decision
Perhaps you havent made your decision????:?

In your original post you said:
Is this likely to be enough contact do you think?
It appears you are questioning the "contact" issue yourself, yes? hence my opinion of no it isnt.

my only concern is whether a cattery would be better as the one I would use has someone on site 24/7.

ALL lisenced boarding establishments have somebody there 24/7 its a law regarding the boarding lisence.

Opinions and what do you do when you go away?
You have mine, and I board my Cats when I go away, unless somebody lives here, whereby the elderly Cats stay and only the younger Cats are boarded, my Dogs come with me.

Apologies if I have "offended" you but you asked for opinions.
Dawn.

Elaine
06-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Personally I'd choose for my cats to stay at home where their surroundings are familiar. Have been lucky in the respect that Graham and I usually have seperate holidays, so there is always one of us here. There has been the odd holiday we have taken together where my good friend Ashley comes and stays.
I am sure there are alot of good catteries around but there are also alot of scarey stories about catteries too.
There will always be good and bad experiences on both counts.

borderdawn
06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Personally I'd choose for my cats to stay at home where their surroundings are familiar. Have been lucky in the respect that Graham and I usually have seperate holidays, so there is always one of us here. There has been the odd holiday we have taken together where my good friend Ashley comes and stays.
I am sure there are alot of good catteries around but there are also alot of scarey stories about catteries too.
There will always be good and bad experiences on both counts.

I agree Elaine, but the horror stories concerning pet "sitters" are just as bad.
Dawn.

Soupie
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
So are mine!:D

So why the thread in the first place, you appear to have made your decision?

I hadn't made a decision when I posted and still haven't completely decided - I posted as I was pondering the situation

Pardon? Thats a bit of a silly thing to say.:roll: For the record, I personally think it is wrong to leave any animal for extended periods of time, and if that offends you, then thats not my problem is it? Pousse is your Cat.

I wasn't offended by your opinion but the arbitrary way in which you expressed it as if people aren't fit to own cats if they leave them for periods. That's your opinion fine but it could have been expressed a bit more diplomatically :roll:

It appears you are questioning the "contact" issue yourself, yes? hence my opinion of no it isnt.

Yes I was questioning it to start with but after thinking about it in more depth made I realised Pousse will not be left any longer than when I am at home so to speak.

ALL lisenced boarding establishments have somebody there 24/7 its a law regarding the boarding lisence.

But are cats checked regularly during that 24 hour period at all catteries?

Apologies if I have "offended" you but you asked for opinions.

Yes I did however most people have replied in a much less confrontational manner - even now with you "quoting" the word offended it just comes across as being really sarcastic in the written word

I will be discussing this with my friend and seeing what she can do - and visiting the cattery and making a decision after :D

borderdawn
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Hope it works out for you Soupie, whatever you decide. :)
Dawn.