PDA

View Full Version : Authority with Hairball Control...Or No?

Sunny'sMeowmie
03-03-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm going to switch Sunny over from Nutro to Authority (cheaper, but still a good food), and since my Mom has seend little hairballs in the garage, I was wondering if I should get the Authority with Hairball Control, or if I should just give them Vaseline. I was told you can give them a little dab of Petroleum Vaseline (the kind you put on your hands) for hairballs. I did it in the past, but backed off on it because they weren't showing signs. Should I just get the hairball control or no? Not all the cats will be fed Authority-just Sunny. If I gave her the Vaseline, then I could treat all three of them instead of buying Hairball Control food, AND Vaseline for all three cats. Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!!

dandysmom
03-03-2007, 02:54 AM
I would suggest instead of Vaseline, getting them a tube of Petromalt. It's formulated especially for cat hairball elimination and is flavored to be tasty for cats... all of mine have licked a dab off my finger with relish, and actually would have eaten more if I'd let them! It's not especially pricy and is available in pet stores and many supermarket pet sections. A tube lasts quite a long time. Brushing or combing the cat regularly helps the hair swallowing problem. If they like it, you might give them a little of the oil from a tin of sardines, or tuna in oil...not too much. I'm not familiar at all with Authority brand cat food. Good luck!

Fran
03-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree with Eileen's advice above and wouldn't ever give my cats Vaseline. Regular grooming will go a long way to helping the problem and there are specifically available products designed to help with hairball control. I can't help you r.e. the food as I have no experience of either. Good luck.