PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a climber?

jenny
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
keanu is a real enthusiastic climber.

hes got a huge cat tree, which he loves, but i want to try and do more. hes constantly climbing up our washing line stands in the bedroom, they form like ladders for him and he'll climb to the top, jump down, climb to the top, jump down,lol.

are there other things i can buy for climbing other than a cat tree?

Animagus
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
adventurous cat lol.... but unfortunately not got a clue what you can add... sturdy shelving and places for him to lie on???

alexgirl73
02-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Why not try getting some of that really thick rope you see sold for parrots and attach it to the ceiling, like one of those ropes you had to climb at school, lol!

jenny
02-03-2007, 11:24 PM
that sounds like a good idea, but i cant even put the drawers together for my computer desk! im not very DIY and did a bodge job of the rest of my computer desk by just hammering it together :oops:

im not sure how i would even go about attaching it to the ceiling. let alone my bad DIY skills,lol.

alexgirl73
02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
You would need to get one of those little gadgets which tells you if you have a beam behind your wall or electrics etc. Use that to find a support beam on your roof, buy a big clip hook, screw it into the beam and attach your rope, hey presto!! hope that helps.

dandysmom
02-03-2007, 11:35 PM
This may sound silly, but do you have any place you could put a stepladder? I have one, have had for years, in the spare room and all of my cats adored it...they would sit on the top and have a great view out the window, or play "king of the castle" and swat the cat who wanted up...it's certainly not that expensive and requires no assembly...

jenny
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
oo a step ladder is a good idea... but i live in a one bed house.. so space is an issue.

i could just buy him his own indoor clothes line if he likes it that much. works as a mini step ladder as its the one that shapes like a triangle!

borderdawn
03-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I think you'll find Bengals do that, climb everywhere. Maybe your breeder will have some suggestions for you, did they tell you how active they were?
Dawn.

dandysmom
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Too bad there isn't space enough for a stepladder; they love it. Could you leave it out for him to play on for a while and then fold it up out of sight somewhere? Oh, and we'd love some climbing pics..hint, hint......

Elaine
03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
What about a rope ladder over the door frame?

jenny
04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
oh yes i knew how active he'd be. im just trying to find ways to channel this energy onto something other than my washing line,lol.

dinahsmum
04-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I've read an article and seen pictures somewhere where someone had a whole 'aerial alternative world' for their cats. Ropes, ladders, platforms, tubes etc, fixed on the walls and ceiling. It looked great and of course is a perfect cat habitat.
If you think about it, it sort of doubles your space. You have whatever the dimensions are at grouind level and the cat has a duplicate up high, which doesn't interfere with yours.
Maybe it would be worth talking to a handyman to come and fix something for you? Shouldn't be desperately expensive.
Wish I could find something on the web for you but I'm obviously googling the wrong words.

Sweet
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I would love to see more pics x

jenny
04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
hi dm, thats the kinda thing im thinking of. but bit worried it will make a mess of the walls when i come to sell the place.

its just coming up with some really good inventions.

so if anyone can google some stuff and find something that looks interesting that would be good for him that'd be great.

the ladder thing and ropes are all good ideas. i think attaching stuff to the wall will be a good idea, but ideas. i had a thoght about somehow using one of them cat tunnels and fixing it to somethings so he could climb up in it. we have an open staircase up to the lounge, so there is a platform it could go up to, and i could somehow fix it to the wall so he could climb up from halfway down the stairs up to the platform. i dunno... just ideas.
lol

dandysmom
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
That sounds like a great idea, but as you've pointed out you're not much of a DIY person (like me!)...so do you know a good handyman?

jenny
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
um... that would be no... lol.

its a shame theres nothing designed already for times like this!

ive tried searching google, but i cant think of the right keyword to get this kind of thing up.

dandysmom
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Would the breeder have any ideas? Or, is there a Bengal forum where you might post an inquiry? I can't think of search terms other than cat furniture, and that didn't bring up anything appropriate......

Kazz
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
I wonder what Az does with his bengal maybe he has some idea's or at least he has seen something that would work on the net.

I will have a think about it for you.

jenny
04-03-2007, 10:28 PM
thanks guys. no the breeder only has a big scratch post.

i have a nice big scratch post for him, but i feel like i want to do more for him. i just lack imagination and the ability to do DIY,lol.

alexgirl73
04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Have you seen this Jenny? Very expensive, but wow!!!

http://www.catsplay.com/ffcastle.php3

jenny
04-03-2007, 10:44 PM
firstly, ok WOW! and secondly... are u kidding? lol. :lol:

i live in a one bed house and i have already covered most of the remaining floor space with over sized couches and fish tanks! lol.

i'll have a look round that site tho and see if they have something er... smaller! :-D :lol:

alexgirl73
04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
LOL@Jenny!!! I just thought it might give you an idea or two, and the way it is designed you could place it around a sofa or something. Hope you find something sson.

jenny
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
oh and its an american company :(

alexgirl73
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Right, what about this?? I know it's an American company too, but it says to contact them about shipping to other countries.

http://www.iroquoisinnovations.com/

Mags
04-03-2007, 11:05 PM
How about this one Jenny.........

http://www.merrydancercats.btinternet.co.uk/making_a_climbing_frame.htm

dinahsmum
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I reckon this could be a simple task for a DIY person Jenny. First find your handyman (look in the free papers, cards at Focus/B&Q/Homebase etc) then discuss what can be done. I would think strong eyelets screwed into studs in the wall (he'll know) would allow you to fix heavy rope (natural not nylon) and then think about things like kiddies rope ladders, horizontal not vertical, maybe scramble nets, aerial nests high up, scratch posts etc.
As you've only made screw holes in the actual walls (maybe ceiling), when you want to sell and move on, you'll only need to take it all down and unscrew the eyelets and fill the holes with polyfilla and maybe paint over.
(and if you are entrepreneurial, here's a business opportunity. Doesn't look like anyone is offering this service)