PDA

View Full Version : Vets visit for Misty

Sweet
01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I took Misty to the Vets this afternoon. I had noticed over the last few days that she was pulling out her fur out in large clumps from around her teat area :? This morning I noticed that she had made that area sore and red :(

The Vet gave her the once over and said she is in good health, weight etc...

The Vet thinks it may be a viscious circle type thing, it itches, she licks, it itches again, she licks etc... and now its sore.

Fleas were looked for, none were found - phew :)

The Vet thinks its still maybe the upheavel moving to here, so she is on 21 tablets of Prednisolone 5mg Prednoc :? 2 each day for a week then 1 each day for the 2nd week.

I just gave her 2 mixed with butter, bless her, the first went well, the 2nd we had a harder time lol, but she was good and took it in the end.

Bless her little meowing in the car but as soon as we were there she settled, she is now back in her fav. place, under the bed. x

Animagus
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Aww Poor Misty.... hope it gets better soon xxxx:lol:

dinahsmum
01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
(((hugs))) for Misty.
Glad she is being a (fairly) good girl with the pills.
You can also try moulding them in lumps of cheese, wrapping in thin ham, primula (or similar) cheese spread, hiding inside juicy sultanas (Mini used to like them!), keeping them in the fridge to reduce any smell, etc etc

Sweet
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Thats given me a few more suggestions :) x

Samz5
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Poor Misty, hopefully the pills sort it out.
I always wrap pills up in cheese for my cats, Bones has had a pill a day for 3 years wrapped in cheese, he loves pill time now all you have to do is open the fridge and shout 'cheese' and he comes running! Once he jumped up on the counter while I popped the pill out of the pack and he just ate it straight up thinking it was cheese.

Sweet
01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Perhaps I should make it a fun thing for her too then, trouble is if she is hiding under the bed it may take some time lol x

alexgirl73
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Aaww, ((hugs)) for Misty! She is having a time of isn't she? Hope the pills make her feel better soon!

Fran
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Awww bless, it does sound like a stress thing doesn't it? I hope she picks up soon x

yola
01-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, poor love. She does sound stressed :( Cheese (squeezy primula-type one) and pate and both good for hiding pills.

Hope she's feeling much better soon.

Hugs.

Elaine
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Poor Misty. Winston was on prednisolone and he hated them. Worked well, hiding them in a bit of cheese for a while, had to always change tac tics coz he was a wise old kitty.
Hope she gets better soon, have you thought of using rescue remedy/feliway as well just to help her ease into the new surroundings?
xxx

smudgley
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Julie - just a thought!
if the vet has put her on 10mg preds per day - do you think they meant 5mg 2xdaily, as opposed to 10mg 1xdaily? As steroids are usually given twice daily.

Fran
01-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Julie - just a thought!
if the vet has put her on 10mg preds per day - do you think they meant 5mg 2xdaily, as opposed to 10mg 1xdaily? As steroids are usually given twice daily.

I know in humans steroids are usually given once daily. I can't remember how often I gave them to Lucky as she is the only one of my cats to have them

Sweet
01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi there, the Vet said 2 tablets once daily and I just read the bottle again to make sure, thats what it says also :? then I reduce to 1 tablet a day after 7 days :? - should I ring them? x

Fran
01-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi there, the Vet said 2 tablets once daily and I just read the bottle again to make sure, thats what it says also :? then I reduce to 1 tablet a day after 7 days :? - should I ring them? x

In humans the regime you are describing would be right but in cats I am not sure Sweet? I can't remember what I gave Lucky when she was on them..

smudgley
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM

no need to ring them, if the vet said once daily & that's what's on the bottle then that's what's been prescibed. ;) give them as prescribed. :)
{hope I haven't worried you, didn't mean to, but I've always had to give twice}

Sweet
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I am easily confused lol :roll: x

dandysmom
02-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Poor Misty! Hope she'll feel better soon, and good luck with the pilling...!!! You're lucky if she'll eat cheese..Leia won't. (((hugs)))