PDA

View Full Version : Causes of vomiting?/Furballs

Soupie
01-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Pousse has been rather sick a couple of times but there haven't been any sign of hair in the puddles ;) She is otherwise well in herself, sleek and shiny and slowly gaining the weight she needed to put on smt:023

Could it be a hairball even though there is no hair there?

Fran
01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
It could be that she is trying to get rid of some hair in her tummy, does she groom a lot? Cats are notorious for vomiting for no reason occasionally anyhow so I wouldn't worry too much unless she is doing it frequently. Could it just be the fact that now she is enjoying her food more that she is eating a little more than she is used to hence bringing the excess back?

dinahsmum
01-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Some cats do puke for no apparent reason. :?
Raising their food dish a few inches can help prevent this

Sweet
01-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I didnt know this...although Jac has not dare I say it.....Puked in a little while now x

Soupie
01-03-2007, 11:10 AM
It could be that she is trying to get rid of some hair in her tummy, does she groom a lot? Cats are notorious for vomiting for no reason occasionally anyhow so I wouldn't worry too much unless she is doing it frequently. Could it just be the fact that now she is enjoying her food more that she is eating a little more than she is used to hence bringing the excess back?

I don't see her groom much but she is a very private cat ;) She does have a lot of loose hair which I remove with a fine tooth flea comb. I make a point of grooming her to get more contact and get her used to my presence. She hasn't done it frequently but when she has it has been copious and spread through the flat :shock:

I'll keep the meals small and frequent again and see if it settles :D

Elaine
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Soupie, would you say she is casting more thqan normal? What was the consistancy of the sick, was it foamy, watery, was there any substance to it?

Soupie
02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Soupie, would you say she is casting more thqan normal? What was the consistancy of the sick, was it foamy, watery, was there any substance to it?

Not sure what you mean by casting?

Sick contained lots of food in lumps and some biscuits, no foam but some brown liquid sick as well :nod:

dinahsmum
02-03-2007, 12:49 PM
It might just be because she has not been used to eating normal sized meals whilst she has has so little appetite - her capacity has diminished, so there's not room for a big dinner - she swoops it all in, it can't stay there, so it returns.
I'd try lots of small meals and work up gradually to larger meals at longer intervals. Plus the raised dish.
(Casting is another word for moulting/shedding I think)

Elaine
02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
By casting I meant shedding hair.
It does sound like a lodged furball to me. If the sick is foamy and watery it usually indicates alot of tummy acid, this along with shedding excessive amounts of hair can indicate illness rather than just furball.
I dont think you need wory too much. Maybe some furball paste would help.

Soupie
02-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes she sheds alot ;)

DM she only has tiny meals - her food is split into four meals and she never eats it all in one go. Unfortunately with me being out of the house for 11 hours during the day I can't physically split it down any more :? She is active and eats more at night so sometimes she has another meal about 2am when I nip to the loo :oops:

I will try raising her dish though :)

tilly
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Hope she gets better soon.
Sally

Kay
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Several of mine regularly vomit despite nothing being wrong. Sometimes it is due to hairballs even though a hairball doesn't always appear ( this is usually Angel ) and other times it is biscuits brought back simple because they have pigged out ( cory is the main culprit here ). If her coat is sleek and shiny, her gums look healthy, her eyes and nose are clear with no third eyelid coming over and she is general well I would say you have nothing to worry about.

sassiecath
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
One of my cats will often vomit right after he eats. I am trying to make sure he is not too hungry when I feed him & if he is eating to eagerly, I will take the food away for a few minutes just to get him to realize if he is really more hungry or not. When I've done this it seems to help but I still don't really see a common denominator for his vomiting. Sometimes he will eat a regular meal & be fine, another time he will eat the same way & vomit. Go figure.
I might try the elevated dish approach. I knew they did that with tall dogs but the way cats crouch when they eat, I didn't think they would have a problem from that.

SassieCath

Kim
10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I know this isn't my thread, but I found the replies quite reassuring as for the past few days Misty has been sick rather a lot too. It is usually his dried food he brings up and it can be a bit watery. he seems okay in himself, if a little quieter than usual and he is still eating. I was thinking of taking him to the vets, but may wait and see how he goes. He does have bouts os sickness and has been to the vet before because of this, however the vet thought he was otherwise healthy.

Sorry to intrude on your thread, I was going to start one myself!

dinahsmum
11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Here's a thread from way back on this perennial subject.
Think the conclusion then was 'yep - some cats puke'
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=10725

Soupie
12-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Well after all that she hasn't done it since I posted :lol:

I am making sure I give her a thorough grooming every day with a fine toothed flea comb to catch all the loose hair and although she doesn't seem too impressed about the grooming I am getting tons of hair out!

Touch wood the sicky period is over ;)

Fran
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
So gald to be reading this :D Great news!

dinahsmum
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Good news!

Mags
12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Great news Soupie!