PDA

View Full Version : Teeth do they stop growing?

Kazz
01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Okay this may sound stupid but can I ask do teeth stop growing.

I ask because many years ago plus 20, I had my bottom double back tooth removed due toa wisdom tooth.

Now I find my top double back tooth has growndown bigger than the others well longer and now touches the gum on the bottom of my jaw when I close my mouth I can occasionaly feel is but no trouble I just wonder is it worth having it removed before it causes trouble or will it cause trouble?

Karen

Mags
01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
If they did Kazz, mine would be down to my shoulders by now:roll::-D

Seriously though, when your top and bottom teeth meet they 'wear' against each other keeping them even, so if you have the opposite tooth out the remaining one has nothing to 'grind' it down.

I know what I mean....... but I bet you don't! ;)

Kazz
01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
No I realise that Mags, but as my top tooth has nothing to grind against will it cause me trouble I know I will have to go to the dentist and ask but they seem so half soaked :) and ask does it hurt well no but there again I don't want to cause myself future trouble I'd rather have it removed now than wait for it to caus an abyss or similar

Fran
01-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Is it a Wisdom tooth Kazz? All teeth do stop growing but like Mags has said, losing the corresponding lower tooth does have an effect and Wisdom teeth are notorious for causing problems anyhow. I'd be inclined to get it checked out Kazz

Mags
01-03-2007, 12:35 AM
A few years ago I had an absess in one of my teeth and it loosened. My dentist treated it with ABs and it managed to retighten itself but unfortunately when it was loose it 'came down' further than the others and slightly protruded. I was worried I would have to lose it and was surprised on one dentist visit when he said he would file it down for me to the length of the other teeth! He made a good job of it and I didn't feel a thing. Maybe your dentist could file your tooth down as well Kazz, it's worth asking him....

Kazz
01-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Now thats an idea Mags maybe they could file it that should keep it in check its taken over 20 years to get this long.

I mean its a healthy tooth no problems and a big double tooth no not a wisdom Fran had that removed when they took the bottom out. This is a normal double tooth - at least I think it is.

Mags
01-03-2007, 12:42 AM
My tooth was the one next to my front teeth (canine?) ....... but I should think a double one would be just as easy to file down....

Sweet
01-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I am clueless here :roll: x

dinahsmum
01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Just as long as you're not like a rabbit and don't have to go to the vet and get it clipped ............. oh dear - maybe it's too early for me.
As long as it causes you no bother I wouldn't worry