PDA

View Full Version : how to teach dog that cat toys are not hers?

jenny
28-02-2007, 09:41 PM
theres so many toys that i see in shops that i think keanu would love, but at the same time i know indie would think it was hers and would rip it to shreds. is there any way i can stop her doing this.

i get the feeling its just something that i will have to deal with, he does quite often play with her toys anyway, but would be nice to be able to get more of his own. the only ones he has at the moment are tied to his cat tree so he can play with them there.

trouble is, all cat toys are going to look like dog toys so indie will naturally think 'ooo toyssss'.

alexgirl73
28-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry Jenny, absolutely nothing I can say on this, lol! When I had my dog Tia, she and Broxi shared toys as there was no way to stop them. Good luck finding a solution.

dinahsmum
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
I think you are asking the impossible here Jenny.
Dinah can still be found, looking sheepish, with various cat toys in her bed. She doesn't understand 'mine and theirs' of course, but does know that if she takes a cat toy it will be taken away from her, maybe with a gentle grumble.
Most cats love tiny balls - ping-pong and even smaller - maybe Indie wouldn't be so interested in them?

jenny
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
lol, i thought as much!

yeh he loves balls, but indie is often found dismanteling them! oh well, i did catch him killing one of her toys yesterday, so i guess its all fair! lol.

just a shame as i saw a BIG mouse toy in the shop yesterday that had cat scratch material, catnip and a ball hanging from it that he would have loved, but indie would no doubt pull the stuffing out before he got close!

dinahsmum
01-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I reckon our dogs might be 'safe' in about 10 years Jenny - but don't bet on it! :lol:

Fran
01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
It's share and share alike here, the dogs play with the cat toys and the cats play with the dog toys :roll:

Amie
01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Olivers toys come out when Parker is being taken for a walk,as he muscles in and takes over any catty type games:roll:

CathyW
01-03-2007, 05:04 PM
bens good with the cat toys, although he does like cat nip LOL but when i bring the cats a toy i always get ben one as well (worse than kids eh??) but he has been good so far, but he rarly chews up toys anyway :)

Kobster
02-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Cat toys are prized by my dog, if only because they are prized by the cats. She loves to ruin the cats fun! She hates it when we play with the lazer pointer, because she can't steal that and hide it in her crate. :D