PDA

View Full Version : honeysuckle instead of catnip???

charliebubs
27-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I've just seen this on a cat website.........

http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/catalog.php?category=11

I've never heard of honeysuckle for cats before. Has anyone else? Does it work? :?

Animagus
27-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I've just seen this on a cat website.........

http://www.kittycatboutique.co.uk/catalog.php?category=11

I've never heard of honeysuckle for cats before. Has anyone else? Does it work? :?

I haven't heard of it but it sounds fascinating... might give it a try... will let you know..

charliebubs
27-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I haven't heard of it but it sounds fascinating... might give it a try... will let you know..

Yes, please do. I'd be interested to know!! :D

Tanya
27-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Apparently more cats like honeysuckle than they do catnip! (so the above website says!) ;)

Sweet
27-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I have not heard this before either x

Fran
27-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Hmmm sounds interesting but my lot are mad enough :roll:

Kay
27-02-2007, 07:16 PM
That's really interesting especially as catnip generally doesn't have an effect on kittens or neuters that were neutered prior to sexual matureity. I might give it a try. I like the sound of the mellowing effect. Ruby could do with a bit of mellowing. :roll: :roll:

smudgley
27-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Charlie - Did you know that site belongs to Emm (a Catsey member). She donated some prizes last year for a raffle we had.
the collars & toys are excellent quality.

yola
27-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I didn't know this either!! Mine don't react to catnip one little bit so I might try this.

But thinking about it, before our neighbours got rid of their honeysuckle shrub the cats did used to congregate in the corner of the garden which it overhung . . .

dandysmom
27-02-2007, 08:47 PM
This was news to me also! I have honeysuckle in the back garden; actually it's rampant and weedy; will try drying some when it starts growing in the Spring and see if Leia reacts to it..

Emm
27-02-2007, 08:54 PM
The Honeysuckle cat toys are really popular - but there are a lot of different varities of Honeysuckle and a lot of them are poisonous to cats - so make sure if you give your cats Honeysuckle its from a safe variety :)

dandysmom
27-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Emm, mine is the common honeysuckle that grows wild, it's a vine and has cream or pink tinged very fragrant blooms. Is this one of the safe ones?

Emm
27-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Lonicera tartarica is the variety that is used in the Honeysuckle Toys. If you have this variety then you can give it to your cat but remember its just the wood part that you use and to keep it safe for your cats make sure that you put it into a pillow or cushion :)

dandysmom
27-02-2007, 10:39 PM
So you don't dry and crumple the leaves? I'll have to Google and see what sort of honeysuckle I have. Think I'll stick with catnip for now.......

charliebubs
28-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Charlie - Did you know that site belongs to Emm (a Catsey member). She donated some prizes last year for a raffle we had.
the collars & toys are excellent quality.

No, I didn't know that Smudgley. The stuff does look excellent. Unfortunately my lot don't wear collars, otherwise I'd be ordering on there in a second!!!! :D

charliebubs
28-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Lonicera tartarica is the variety that is used in the Honeysuckle Toys. If you have this variety then you can give it to your cat but remember its just the wood part that you use and to keep it safe for your cats make sure that you put it into a pillow or cushion :)

That's really interesting Emm. I'd never heard of honeysuckle toys before. I think I'll have to order some and see what my lot think........... :-D