PDA

View Full Version : Kittens and raw chicken

RRR
23-02-2007, 10:15 AM
The ferrets have chicken wings for dinner tonight and I know some of you give these to your cats but I was wondering if my kittens would be ok with them too. The kittens are 3 and 1/2 months, will their little teeth be ok with the bones?

The certainly dont mind eating raw meat as they will tuck into mince and steak thats raw. :D

Tanya
23-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't actually know the answer to that. But, I never give Oli any bones and he is seven months old.

Fran
23-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I think they will struggle to eat the bones but it will keep them entertained pulling the meat of the bones ;)

RRR
23-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Well I'll give it a bash then and see what happens!

I chop the wings/legs/thighs up for the ferrets into about inch cube size, do you think that will be ok for the cats?

Fran
23-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't cut the wings up too small for fear of them choking. Maybe cut the wings in half?

dinahsmum
23-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd give them whole joints too. Maybe let the kits have their fun (I don't think they'll be abte to chew too much off at their age) and then cut the remains for the ferrets? Or is that demeaning for the ferrets?

charliebubs
23-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I'd give them the whole wing, then they can't accidentally swallow any bone. I'm sure they will have loads of fun with them - even if they can't eat the bones the first time!!!

My lot didn't really know what to do with the wings at all the first time I gave them to them - just licked them a lot and threw them up in the air!!! Very funny to watch!!!

Maybe you could get some pics of their first chicken wing experience!?!?

RRR
23-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Ok I'll leave them whole for the kitties then, see what they make of them.

I shall update with pics! :lol:

RRR
27-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Well I gave them half a chicken wing each last night! They are obviously very boring compared to other people's cats as they mainly just sat and ate it.

Lexi did nothing but eat the meat off it and Zoot did throw it up in the air a few times but thats it. Though Zoot did growl at it quite a lot :lol: He has only ever growled before when he's got "good food" usually stolen of a plate left on the kitchen side and Lexi is trying to share with him but last night Lexi was no where near him and he was just growling at the chicken whilst eating it! It was ever so funny to watch.

Missy the ferret also wanted to share and stole it a few times from right under Zoots nose, he wasn't impressed at all!! :lol:

Rosie
28-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I should think that this would be excellent for their teeth and jaws. Might let mine have a try although they have never had anything raw before.

Chewing on bones and twiggs is very good for dog's teeth. My Holly (lurcher) is 11 and has excellent teeth. The vet says that the bits of twiggs act as tooth picks same thing with bones (raw of course).