PDA

View Full Version : Introducing an entire male into a new house

RRR
22-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Whats the best way to introduce and settle an entire male into a new home?

Much to my disappointment my sister is getting a cat! The cat is a two year old entire male who gets on with children and dogs but not other cats.

My sister has two young children and two guinea pigs but no other pets.

How long should he be kept inside for? Is he likely to spray?

I've never had to introduce an older cat into the house before so just wanted any tips that can make things go smoother for my sister as she's a complete newbie to it all.

Mr Cat will be getting neutered! :D

Fran
22-02-2007, 11:06 AM
He is very likely to spray and he should be kept inside until he is neutered. I'd be inclined to keep him in one room until he has been there a day or two and has settled in a bit but your sister may find that she has to confine him to an easily washable room anyhow as it is likely he will spray. He needs neutering asap. What's his story?

dinahsmum
22-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Why is she not getting him neutered?
I would think if he is done there will be no trouble introducing him at all. He'll need a bit of 'space' when he just arrives - he won't want to be mobbed by the children.
If she doesn't neuter he is likely to spray and to stray and to fight and get ill .....

RRR
22-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Dinahsmum - my post does say he'll be getting neutered!!

When my sister told me he wasn't neutered yet she did say that she'll give him a while to settle in and then get him done. I told her he is likely to spray so best to get him done sooner rather than later.

He's come from freecycle of all places!! A young girl didn't want him any more due to moving so out he goes!

I think he'll be quite well looked after by my sister, I have advised her about food, litter tray, neutering, vaccs, microchipping,insurance, cat flap and so on so she should be fine. The reason I am against the whole thing is that on Sunday she was talking about getting a dog in April and then all of a sudden Monday evening she is getting a cat!! Her husband has just told her they are not having anymore children so I kinda think that she's trying to substitute that. Plus she is allergic and last week when I was telling her husband about my kittens he told me how much he doesn't like cats!!

charliebubs
22-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm - I can see why you're concerned. I do hope they are taking him on for all the right reasons. :(

I would suggest neutering asap - entire male spray smells horrible and there is always the chance that once he gets into the habit of spraying he will carry on doing so, even after neutering. Yuck!! :)

Fran
22-02-2007, 03:54 PM
It doesn't sound to me like they have put much thought into it all. When you take on a new member of the family, all the existing members have to be in agreement. I'd be concerned at your brother-in-laws comment of disliking cats. The last thing this poor cat needs is another temporary home :( I do hope you can make them really think about what they are taking on here.

Emm
22-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I've just recently introduced an entire male into my house of 2 dogs and 4 cats. I kept him in his own room and got him neutered within a few of days having him. He did spray like mad during that time before being neutered!

I would advise her to book the appointment now to get the cat done - pick him up and have him booked in the next day for the operation - I don't see any point in leaving him to settle first - the smell is truly awful - Felix is now a very happy chilled out little man - and no smell :D

Emm
22-02-2007, 04:03 PM
originally posted by RRR
talking about getting a dog in April and then all of a sudden Monday evening she is getting a cat!! Her husband has just told her they are not having anymore children so I kinda think that she's trying to substitute that. Plus she is allergic and last week when I was telling her husband about my kittens he told me how much he doesn't like cats!!

just read this bit - this cat needs a home that he is going to be wanted in - I would never bring an animal into a household where some-one didn't like them (I'd chuck that person out and then get the animal!)
It really doesn't sound like they should take this cat on :(

RRR
22-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I totally agree with all your comments, I dont think she should take the cat on at all.

Supposedly her husband is being all nice about it and really happy but thats my sister talking, I haven't actually heard him say those words yet! And I dont think he'll be very impressed when Mr Cat starts to spray as he's very house proud. To be honest, although quite mean, I hope he does spray all over the house.

I dont think for one minute that the cat will be neglected or mistreated but I still dont think its the right time for them to be getting a cat. She is also talking about going away in June for a summer holiday!!

dandysmom
22-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh dear, what a sorry situation! I quite agree that if the OH doesn't like cats, it's a bad idea! And an entire tom will spray, and it will smell awful,,,I do hope you can convince your sister that it's a poor idea....