PDA

View Full Version : very greedy kitten!

catsinc4
20-02-2007, 10:32 PM
i am after some advice for my neighbour she has a male kitten (neutered)7 months old from same litter as my kitten roxxi but he is the greediest kitten i have ever met!he will eat 5-6 pouches a day that he demands,biscuits if theres nothing else!would eat 3 times that much if she would give him it.he is huge!he steals from plates worktops if u turn for a second.he is wormed and up to date.i have never owned a cat will eat like that and im just wondering is it right??in my mind he is eating too much and is heading for probs??any advice on the best way to deal with an appetite like that?or on what the best food to feed him would be??thankyou

Tanya
20-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I thought Oli ate alot!! It does sound like the neighbours kitten is eating an awful lot. Could it be possible that he is eating because he is bored OR could the neighbour be mistaking his demands for food instead of fuss and play?

I know that if I fed Oli everytime he meowed that he would eat it - maybe this cat needs some distraction method?!

dandysmom
20-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Tanya has a very good point! That's way too much food for a seven month kitten; I see obesity problems down the way. Has he been wormed? Does he get much exercise? Indoor-only cat? She might want to discuss this with her vet..

Fran
20-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I think it sounds rather a lot of food. Is it a Vetinerary prescribed wormer that she has been using? If the kitten were mine, I would be inclined to get it checked over by a vet to rule out any underlying medical problems

tilly
20-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I would agree that getting him checked out might be a good idea as he does seem to be eating an awful lot.

Sally

catsinc4
21-02-2007, 01:08 AM
was wormed with drontal last he is outside alot he looks healthy just very big 3 times if not more bigger than roxxi.i think if he was fed everytime he demanded it it would be more like 10 pouches a day.but he behaves like he is never going to fed again like he came from a big litter and he didnt there was 3 and he was last 1 to be weaned

dinahsmum
21-02-2007, 01:23 PM
:shock:
That is a huge appetite and I think it is worth a vet check to ensure there isn't anything wrong with his metabolism. Assuming that the vet finds nothing I think your friend should seek to reduce his food but I'm not sure how? If nothing else it will help her purse! Maybe she could give him some 'lite' biscuit food, to help fill hm up without giving him too much nourishment. However, he is still young, so he needs some good quality food. Maybe he could have some 'filler' added to his cat-food? Potato/rice/pasta? I think she should take vet advice on that too.

Rosie
21-02-2007, 04:46 PM
When Alfie was younger he would have ate like this if I had let him. Both cats and Holly the dog are given breakfast at 6.00 a.m. and tea at 6.00 p.m. with a spoonful of dry at lunchtime. Alfie now knows that no matter how much he pesters me he will not get anymore so it is now a routine he has accepted.

I don't think you can feed animals or humans on demand.

catsinc4
21-02-2007, 06:15 PM
no i think thats the mistake she has made feeding him on demand.he is now on tinned food and biscuits 3 meals a day and that is it,he still hisses and claws if theres human food to be had,even toast from her 4 year old daughter.with the tinned he is actually leaving a bit of it!wow must be more filling??

Elaine
21-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Sounds to me like your friend is gonna have a fair few problems down the line if she doesnt take action now.
Firstly, I agree with the others that a vet check should be done and they can also help on the diet front. Its very dangerous to simply start reducing food for a cat with out proper instruction as the cat can develope Hepatic Lipidosis and more often than not die from this.
She also needs to adress the issues of the cat stealing human foods and possibly shut the cat out of the room when humans are eating.
Its very easy to make a rod for your own back where animals are concerned. All the very best to her and podge the kitty LOL.